Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flies and Scorpions as symbols in ancient egypt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Flies and Scorpions as symbols in ancient egypt Reply with quote

Moderator's remark:
This topic was split off from the "Serpentsssss" thread

Snakes are great and so much a part of world religions. Spiders I can't stand. They freak me out. I can't really think of any context in which spiders have any prominent meaning in ancient Egypt. They must have hated them, too!

Visit my blog!
Saleyer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I can't really think of any context in which spiders have any prominent meaning in ancient Egypt. They must have hated them, too!

lol Laughing But what about the Scarab/Scarabeus? Actually, I like these bugs. In the symbolic way.
But in this movie "The Mummy", there were lots of these kind of bugs, right?......that was gross. lol
Saleyer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Beetles are cute! Well, not cockroaches, but scarabs are harmless little things that don't eat flesh, they eat poo! Don't you just love Egyptian religion? They believed the sun was a giant ball of glowing s*** being rolled across the sky by a beetle. Laughing

LOL Laughing

isisinacrisis wrote:

The insects I don't like are wasps, cockroaches, mozzies and flies...well flies don't bother me as much as the stinging biting insects. I don't mind bees though. Is it true that there is an Egyptian necklace with fly shaped charms on it? I don't like spiders at all. But the Egyptians liked scorpions, didn't they? I don't...ick!
I would be terrified if I ever saw a poisonous snake in the wild though! Don't cobras spit poison at you as well as bite you?

I don't like bugs. And I HATE mosquitos, cockroaches, all these gross kinds of insects, lol, and especially big hairy creepy spiders, oh and little spiders too, you know.. those with tiny legs that move really fast (eeewww).
Oh and, as for the scorpions... Pictures and symbols of scarabs and scorpions and cobras are cool, I like them, I'm okay with them, lol, but if I'd meet one of those in reality, I would most likely scream. Wink
I think cobras do spit poisin at you. They have these poisonous teeth, am I right?
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it true that there is an Egyptian necklace with fly shaped charms on it?

Yeah, there were many necklaces like this. They were like military medalian type things.
Quote:
But the Egyptians liked scorpions, didn't they? I don't...ick!

Well there is that scorpion goddess Selket. But they probably didn't like actual scorpions because they were deadly creatures and all.
Quote:
Don't cobras spit poison at you as well as bite you?

Spitting cobras do spit (hence the name), but it's just a warning, they don't spit then bite unless you're stupid and continue to *** them off. But they-like all other poisonous snakes- have venom sacs behind thier fangs, which realeases the venom when the fangs penetrate something, like flesh for an example. It's like a fang orgasm. Razz
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Is it true that there is an Egyptian necklace with fly shaped charms on it?

Yeah, there were many necklaces like this. They were like military medalian type things.

There are some tomb inscriptions that mention this award I think.
The most famous ones are the 3 gold flies awarded to Queen Ahhotep.
This Lady received the military honors from her son Ahmose.

isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Egyptians held flies in high respect? As well as dung beetles, poisonous snakes and scorpions? What a crazy religion... Laughing only kidding! I love all that stuff-that's what makes it so interesting!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Just kidding. I deserved it. You all know I can't help being wordy, so pick on me all you want.

But no one responded to my question. Any bug experts out there? How BIG can a dung beetle get? The examples I've seen are just the right size for the bottom of one's boot.

anneke wrote:
Quote:
The most famous ones are the 3 gold flies awarded to Queen Ahhotep.
This Lady received the military honors from her son Ahmose.

I have that fly-necklace photo in several of my books. Isn't it grand? I think Ahhotep received it for her services against the Hyksos while her son was away at war.

Fly amulets (called the afef) actually go back to predynastic times, when they were typically made of stone. By the end of the Old Kingdom you see them formed from such beautiful stones as lapis lazuli and glazed composition; by the First Intermediate Period they appear in sheet gold. It was near the beginning of the New Kingdom when fly amulets like the one in the photo were used as military awards.

This is only theory, but it's felt the fly was venerated in this way because of its tenacity and determination--two characteristics that are very handy for any soldier to have. Thirty-three fly amulets were found in the tomb of the wives of Tuthmosis III, the greatest warrior of them all.

And now you may proceed to make fun of me for writing too much about golden flies! Embarassed

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who have a handle on the metric system.

Oh for sure, like Anneke for example. Smile

Very Happy Thanks for thinking of me. Technically still a Dutch citizen I'm afraid....

I have a harder time with the American system. I have to keep my cooking equipment in mind to remind me how much 8 oz is , or a pint or something like that. Wink

Back to Egypt:
I have always liked the statue of Selket in Tut's tomb.
I read somewhere that the goddess may have Ankhesenamen's face, but the scorpion on her head shows she's Selket.

Touregypt mentions:
Serqet (Serket, Selqet, Selket, Selkit, Selkis) was the ancient Egyptian scorpion goddess of magic.

In the underworld, she helped in the process of rebirth of the newly deceased, and oriented them as they came to her, giving them the breath of life. Which is interesting given that the scorpion can be deadly (I think it can be at least?)

bugs - rebirth. A pattern? Laughing

Touregypt also mentions that the priest of Selket may have been doctors and magicians.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/serqet.htm
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have always liked the statue of Selket in Tut's tomb.

Oh I know, me too. She's my favourite, I have a picture of her in my living-room (well it's in a box now, but it was in my living-room).
Quote:
In the underworld, she helped in the process of rebirth of the newly deceased, and oriented them as they came to her, giving them the breath of life. Which is interesting given that the scorpion can be deadly (I think it can be at least?)

That's intersesting, and yes scorpions can be very deadly, especially the Emperor Scorpion (the big black ones) They are the largest in the world, and they live in many parts of Africa including Egypt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selket was also one of the punishers of the damned in the royal Books of the Netherworld. She was one busy chick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the face on this statue was meant to resemble Ankhesenamun. For pharaohs in the New Kingdom it was common, for instance, to depict the god Amun with the facial features of the king. Numerous such pieces were found with what most believe to be Tut's face. It's another way of tying in the divinity between royal and deity. I'm certain this was done with Great Wives, too.

Incidentally, we had a cat named Pickles when I was little who got stung once on the tip of her nose by a scorpion. This was when we lived in Texas. Luckily the little beast didn't invenomate poor Pickles, but that cat sure knew to avoid scorpions from then on! Surprised

Visit my blog!
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpions were important - ever heard the myth Isis and the Seven Scorpions?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Scorpions were important - ever heard the myth Isis and the Seven Scorpions?

Yes, that's a well-known myth. Unfortunately I can't recall the particulars at the moment but I'm strangely interested right now in pulling down one of my mythology books and rereading that one. Wink

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go, kmt_sesh:
http://www.philae.nu/philae/sevenscorp.html
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there you have it. Very Happy Thanks much, Osiris II.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: