Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initiation Ceremony?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isetnofret
Citizen
Citizen

Location: I am in: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA. I want to be in: MEMPHIS, EGYPT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Initiation Ceremony? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I've been looking pretty much everywhere to find out how a prince was initiated to Pharaoh. Was there a ceremony of some sort or did they just stand up and go "I'm Pharaoh now, do as I say!" ?

I'd really appreciate any information on this, but preferably in great detail.

Thank you!

~ Isetnofret ~
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides to have the sidelock cut of? AFAIK they had some protocolar demands to follow rather than a ritual of initiation. They should have a royal woman as a mother or a surrogate mother or, if not, they should marry a royal woman. Possibly because land possession would be seen as a womens duty ("the lady of the house", there's no "the lord of the house"), only enjoyed by men through them.

Another thing would be a godly parenthood. In the practical sense, the candidate would be son of a deceased Pharaoh, if not, of a real god. If the pharaonic filiation would be enough, the gods would be claimed to reinforce it as did Hatshepsut and Amenhotep III. Horemheb had only to count with the gods, which whom are omnipresent in all his depictions. I really don't know what strategy of legitimization he used after Mutnodjmet's death (in the Year 13), but I particularly believe that was in this moment he erased all the records of his immediate antecessors. He have no reason to do it before, once he married Ay's daughter to legitimize himself. I wonder if he chose another queen among Amenhotep III's descendants.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant:wouldn't be enough
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am certain there was an elaborate ritual of coronation. I am unaware of direct evidence of it so those who might know more should jump in and share, but we do see on occasion temple reliefs showing the gods fitting the crowns on the king's head, which in itself hints at ceremony. The Egyptians were all about ritual and representation, and something as important as a prince becoming the new god-king would've been ritually observed.

Robson mentioned numerous very important matters behind kinghood and how the throne might be secured in less certain times, so needn't add to that. Suffice it to say we still do not have a fully developed explanation for the rise to kinghood at certain points in history, such as the Old Kingdom (lots of questionmarks there).

The important question is, did the new king get lots of good gift certificates and important benefits such as vacation, health, and dental? Razz

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: