Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portrait of Seti I
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maatkare
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Portrait of Seti I Reply with quote

Hi!

I just found out that Amazon.com has scanned (although somewhat darkly, obliterating some of the detail) of my portrait of Seti I, included in
my book. If curious, go to

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0972952403/002-7041414-6328013?%5Fencoding=UTF8&keywords=Marianne%20Luban&p=S05N&avc=1&checkSum=LFNdTdGVeDwyQmdsJn8LfZFVTGM63FngmkCPhmU5r%252F8%253D

Okay--it's a long URL! Shocked
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it after "looking inside the book"

Nice drawing Laughing

You draw those based on the mummy right?
Maatkare
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the face of the mummy is seldom enough to get an accurate portrait. I have carefully considered all the known images of Seti I, as well--plus the portraits of the nobles of his time who also portrayed themselves in his image.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the same technique Winifred Brunton used.

I always like the attempts made by forensic artists too. They can do amazing things just knowing the skeletal structure.

I've tried it myself, but I don't quite have the artistic abilities required Cool
Maatkare
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Maya Reply with quote

BTW--regarding your sig line--you may be interested in knowing that, in my book, I suggest this same Maya as a candidate (one of them) for being the Biblical Moses. Did you know that "May" or "Maya" was a nickname for someone who was either called just plain "Mose" (ms) or had that element in their name. Women, too.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. But isn't there evidence that Maya and his wife Merit were buried in Saqqara?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean their tomb?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry...
Got to surpass u somehow, don't I? Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did mean their tomb.

I did see on the saqqara online site from the University in Leiden that they did more work in that area this year.

I do think that there is evidence that Maya and Merit were buried in Saqqara. I don't now if any skeletal remains were ever discovered.

Three posts in stead of one? One only a smiley emoticon?
Still trying to catch up eh?
You'll probably surpas me before long. But I'll make you work for it......
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make me break a sweat... Cool
U'll be vizier by that time though. Smile
Maatkare
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Maya and Meryt Reply with quote

The tomb of Maya and Meryt was, indeed, found at Saqqara by Geoffrey Martin and Jacobus van Dijk. It was a very large tomb complex rivalling that of the commoner tomb of Horemheb, nearby. The tomb was intended for Maya, Meryt and Henutiunu, either the mother-in-law or step-mother of Maya. From indication in the tomb, the ladies had predeceased Maya. On stylistic grounds, the tomb was begun in the time of Tutankhamun and worked continued into the Ramesside era. This last is indicated by the paintings in the sub-structure. Even the wonderful statues of Maya and Meryt were not carved until the time of Ramesses II, judging from the type of wig worn by the lady, not in fashion until that era. However, their faces were executed in an archaizing style, probably to match those from the 18th Dynasty that are much in evidence in carving around the super-structure. Various intrusive burials were discovered within the environs of this tomb, including the humerous (long bone) of an elephant! There was smashed debris found in the burial chamber, but nothing actually containing the names of the tomb owners, except a single shawabti fragment of calcite for an "aya". The /m/ in the name is missing, although the space where it should or could have been remains and is not broken away. No mummies were found in the burial chamber, just numerous bone fragments that the archaeologists could not positively identify as belonging to anyone in Maya's family. Geoffrey Martin has pointed out that, in his tomb inscriptions, Maya is very reticent about his background or a master before Tutankhamun--which was probably Akhenaten.

The Pentateuch claims that no one knows the burial spot of Moses. I quote from my own book: "Perhaps this is perfectly true--or maybe the reason it was erased from memory is that Moses was buried in Egypt, after all, returning there as another old man of Egyptian literature had done, receiving the boon of pardon from a pharaoh who did not particularly care what had happened in the reign of a predecessor. If the life of a man of 80 could be preserved until he reached 120 by roaming about the harsh wilderness, that surely would have been the greatest miracle of them all." And, before that: "Since the reason Moses came to the attention of an Egyptian princess might reveal too much about the assimilation of Moses' parents, it was better to place him in a reed cradle on the Nile. However, once the adoptee was being raised as a prince, his own assimilation could hardly be circumvented. And that, perhaps, is why the particulars of his life are left rather sketchy in the Book of Exodus--and also why it was preferable to leave the reader with the impression that Moses was entirely absent from Egypt for most of his days, in the manner of Sinuhe, whose famous story may have been very convenient to imitate.....In the Bible, even though Moses had become an Egyptian among the privileged, he was scarcely allowed to "be" an Egyptian. In the end, it strikes one as odd and a shade too convenient that the leader was not able to enter the Promised Land after forty years of wandering (and presumably writing!) and that even the whereabouts of his place of burial had been forgotten..." Yes, it does seem very odd to me that those two stalwart old Hebrews, Moses and Aaron, who both purportedly lived to such a great age, couldn't have held on a bit longer in order to set foot in the place of their destination.

Regardless, it is even admitted by Flavius Josephus, who had not much use for Egyptians, that Moses was so revered in Egypt that he was considered practically divine. If that was so, it had to be for some other reason than that he had led the Hebrews out of Egypt. It seems to me that without a tomb chapel where offerings could be made to the deceased and a cult maintained there, the name and accomplishments of Moses would likely have been forgotten by the Egyptians--much less recalled until even unto the Classic Era of Egyptian history.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Regardless, it is even admitted by Flavius Josephus, who had not much use for Egyptians, that Moses was so revered in Egypt that he was considered practically divine. If that was so, it had to be for some other reason than that he had led the Hebrews out of Egypt. It seems to me that without a tomb chapel where offerings could be made to the deceased and a cult maintained there, the name and accomplishments of Moses would likely have been forgotten by the Egyptians--much less recalled until even unto the Classic Era of Egyptian history.

Interesting in the light of the fact that Amenhotep-son-of Hapu was later deified and seen as a very wise man.
Maatkare
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Amenhotep son of Hapu even had his own mortuary temple among those of the pharaohs on the West Bank. He was, indeed, deified and prayed to as a source of healing even unto the Classic Era. In pre-Christian Egypt, the "saints" were those known for their great wisdom. If Josephus said Moses was considered "divine" by the Egyptians, he must have existed and been a very great man in some era. According to each and every one of the ancient historians, the man lived during the 18th Dynasty.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maatkare wrote:
If Josephus said Moses was considered "divine" by the Egyptians, he must have existed and been a very great man in some era. According to each and every one of the ancient historians, the man lived during the 18th Dynasty.

Still thinking it's walking a fine line. Any suggestions for one of these well-known holy men to be Moses? Imhotep doesn't stand a chance, Amenhotep-son-of-Hapu seems a little off as well. Anyone else? This seems very second-hand, if we don't have a specific egyptian source, no?

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: