Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Dreams Book Club??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Egyptian Dreams Book Club?? Reply with quote

I was wondering what people think to the idea of an Egyptian Dreams Book Club? Maybe it's just me, but often when I see what someone has wrote about a book they've just read, I'm thinking, Damn, I wish I'd known that someone was going to be reading about that, because it sounds like something I would've found really interesting, and it would've been nice to have someone to chat about it with. Sad

I'm thinking that the people that decide to be a part of it could each put forward a book that they'd like to read, and the whole group could vote on which they'd prefer from the list (obviously you wouldn't be able to pick your own book Laughing ). And, so long as people pick books that are easy to get hold of (no picking books that there are only half a dozen copies of in the entire world!), no-one would have to buy the book if they don't want, as they should be available to order from the local library. This way, we would all be able to enjoy a good book together and talk about theories and ideas that are presented in the book whilst it is still fresh in everyone's minds. By the way, I'm thinking it should only be Ancient Egyptian related non-fiction books that are read as part of this?? The readers will need to be given enough time to complete the book because many of us have other commitments (school, college, work, family etcetera). Maybe a month?

Let me know what you think, even if you think it's a bad idea, let me know why. Also, if anyone has any thoughts on how to improve the idea, let me know here, too! Very Happy

So, crazy idea?? Idea #Crazy Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: books Reply with quote

good idea daughter of-seti,i find that when i see a book on the net i tend to hesitate and think am i buying abook i have already got but just in a different form,so i guess it could have some advantages,by the way i realy enjoyed the d.v.ds. of the bob brier lectures Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it, Daughter_Of_SETI. I'd recommend starting with something fairly simple, like this one. Razz All right, so I'm kidding. That one's a little advanced for me.

Might it be a good idea, Daughter_Of_SETI, to do a discussion by chapter? Say, everyone reads Chapter 1, and then we discuss it. This might make it easier to break down and digest. People could feel free to read ahead, of course, but breaking it down by chapters might help to keep everyone at the same pace.

For some recommendations on my part--aside from the excellent selection in the above link--I wouldn't mind discussing something like...

1) Death and the Afterlife in Ancient Egypt, by John Taylor

2) Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh, by Joyce A. Tyldesley

3) Akhenaten: The Heretic King, by Donald Redford

4) The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries, by Mark Lehner

All of these should be available at everyone's local library. But since Daughter_Of_SETI is promoting the book club, I think she ought to buy us each a copy of the selected book. Twisted Evil Just kidding.

Come on, people, let's hear from you! I think this is an excellent idea. read2 read read2

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked the lectures, kennethhirst. Smile

Well, it's certainly good to see that there are others that like the idea. Very Happy

kmt_sesh wrote:
I'm all for it, Daughter_Of_SETI. I'd recommend starting with something fairly simple, like this one. All right, so I'm kidding. That one's a little advanced for me.

Well, it's definitely far too advanced for me. My drawing skills leave much to be desired, but if that's the one the group pick then I'll give it a go. Who knows, it could turn me into an Anneke-like artist...okay, maybe not. Laughing

kmt_sesh wrote:
Might it be a good idea, Daughter_Of_SETI, to do a discussion by chapter?

Great idea! We might find that the odd chapter or two in a book doesn't give us much to discuss, but it will generally keep people on track, and might help to point out important information that others might've missed.

kmt_sesh wrote:
I wouldn't mind discussing something like...

Looks like you've picked some very interesting books there, Kmt_sesh (LOL I might have to read them eventually anyway, even if this Book Club doesn't take off! Laughing ).

kmt_sesh wrote:
But since Daughter_Of_SETI is promoting the book club, I think she ought to buy us each a copy of the selected book.

Hey! Don't you go giving everyone ideas! At the moment there's only three of us, but if it takes off you might end up making me seriously broke having to buy everyone a new book each month! Shocked

kmt_sesh wrote:
Come on, people, let's hear from you! I think this is an excellent idea.

I know that everyone can't be quite as addicted to reading as I, but I know there are a few avid readers out there, so I'm hoping that people will share their thoughts on the idea.

kmt_sesh wrote:
read2 read read2

Laughing Hmm...Playboy? Good choice! Laughing

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun.

I like the chapter by chapter idea. This would give a little flexibility too in case people happen to run into time constraints. If you miss the discussion of one chapter, you might be able to pick it up in the next chapter.

I like:
2) Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh, by Joyce A. Tyldesley

but instead of
I would prefer to discuss Aldred's book on Akhenaten.

4) The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries, by Mark Lehner

This one also sounds interesting.
I have a book by Miroslav Verner instead. This one would also be a nice option. But I would be happy to read Lerner's book as well Smile

When are you thinking of starting? I think that if we start off other can join at any time?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
When are you thinking of starting? I think that if we start off other can join at any time?

I think we could start it up as soon as we want. As you say, people can join in whenever they like, and if they don't feel like they can catch up quickly enough with the current book being read, they can always keep a check of the thread to find out when the next books are being decided and jump in then.

I'm just wondering, does everyone think that the books should be voted on? If so, how many books should each person select to be put up for the vote? If not a vote, then how do we agree on the next book? Should we pick books on an agreed upon subject or randomly?

Any ideas?? Idea Idea

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that making lists and voting could become a bit too complicated?
There's a small number of us, so maybe we can just start with one book in a seperate thread. Maybe a book we all have already?

I could start on Tyldesley (Ramesses) or Aldred (Akhenaten) at any given time. The book by Kent Weeks about KV 5 (first one) would be really nice too.

If people need to find / buy the books, that would take a bit more time.

We can keep this thread going to sort out what book we would like to read later?

But I will adjust to whatever the rest of the group wants Smile
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'dont have any of the books mentioned, but I'am looking forwood to read the group discussions about these books Razz .

Rozette Smile
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad everyone seems to like the idea of a chapter-by-chapter discussion. That might be the most efficient way to do it.

anneke wrote:
Quote:
but instead of
I would prefer to discuss Aldred's book on Akhenaten.

I thought of Aldred's book but there's something very important for everyone to consider:

I've already read that one but have never read Redford's, so I need the motivation finally to read it. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for ages! Laughing

Well, there's that and the fact that I was thinking more basic books might be a good way to start. Aldred's is somewhat advanced for some people, I worry, but Redford's at least looks simpler. I could be wrong or maybe I'm worrying about something silly to begin with. I know Aldred's is more popular and generally represents more accepted arguments, so what also might be fun is to read one and then later read the other, for some comparing and contrasting.

Quote:
I have a book by Miroslav Verner instead. This one would also be a nice option.

Are you talking about this one by Verner? That's one of my very favorite books on the pyramids and I would love to see what other people think about it, but I chose Lehner's because it's a little more basic. But again, perhaps I'm being unfair about the interests and level of other potential book-club members.

Quote:
The book by Kent Weeks about KV 5 (first one) would be really nice too.

Do you mean this one about KV5 or the "report" he published? I hadn't considered The Lost Tomb but that would be a great book to discuss.

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
I'm just wondering, does everyone think that the books should be voted on?

I haven't even thought about how we might select a book, but anneke's probably right that voting might be a bit complicated. However, I'm not sure how to go about it. Should we let the people at the Unexplained Mysteries forum decide for us? Laughing

No, maybe not.

We're going to have to give that one some more thought.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I know Aldred's is more popular and generally represents more accepted arguments, so what also might be fun is to read one and then later read the other, for some comparing and contrasting.

That sounds good actually. I don't have Redford's book, that's why I would prefer we read Aldred before Redford Smile

kmt_sesh wrote:
Are you talking about this one by Verner? That's one of my very favorite books on the pyramids and I would love to see what other people think about it, ....

Yes, that's the one I meant.

kmt_sesh wrote:
Do you mean this one about KV5 <..>? I hadn't considered The Lost Tomb but that would be a great book to discuss.

Yes, the Lost tomb is the one I meant. Maybe read / discuss Tyldesley's Ramesses first, then the lost tomb?

kmt_sesh wrote:
I haven't even thought about how we might select a book...

That's the tough part I think Smile

OK I'll be pushy Smile and propose we start in this order:

1. Ramesses the Great by Tyldesley
2. Lost Tomb by Kent Weeks
3. Akhenaten by Aldred
4. Akhenaten by Redford
5. Pyramids by Verner

LOL That was somewhat random Wink But we have to start somewhere!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Maybe a book we all have already?

Do you think it's going to be easy to find a book that we all have? I thought that would be quite difficult, and it could possibly limit the choices in books?

Rozette wrote:
I'dont have any of the books mentioned, but I'am looking forwood to read the group discussions about these books.

I only own one from each of Kmt_sesh's and Anneke's lists myself, so I might not be able to join in right away either, but there'll be lots of interesting topics to read. Cool Stick around, Rozette, as I'm sure you'll be able to join in soon. Very Happy

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK I'll be pushy Smile Smile and propose we start in this order:

1. Ramesses the Great by Tyldesley
2. Lost Tomb by Kent Weeks
3. Akhenaten by Aldred
4. Akhenaten by Redford
5. Pyramids by Verner

Good, I'm glad you decided to be pushy. Razz I don't have the guts.

I like this list a lot. Best of all I already have each one of them in my library! I don't relish going to the Chicago Public Library because they can be so slow and inefficient. This reminds me, I just realized that around eight years ago I ordered Gardiner's grammar from a local branch and it never came. I ended up getting a copy from a friend, who had two. Hmm, I wonder if the Gardiner is still on order? Rolling Eyes

It's a good list. I'd like to hear from others to see if they have suggestions, but I'm flexible.

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got all but the Aldred, and I can work on getting that. Is this the order we're going to work then? Because I like this order too. What is your proposed start date?

kat newkirk
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which of the books do you have DoS? My guess is that you have the Lost Tomb by Weeks?

We can switch nrs 1 and 2 if that is the case so that at least 4 of us are starting out with a book we already have.

If we can decide on one book that we all have, would monday be a good time to start the discussion? Or even this weekend? I think we will need to be flexible on the time schedule. I start teaching again in about 10 days, so there may be some days that I will be slower with my responses.

But I'm really looking forward to having these book discussions as something to give me a break from work Very Happy

Rozette: I'm hoping we will get to discussing Thutmosis III and Amenhotep III by O'Connor and Cline at some point. I love those books and it would be great to be able to discuss those with others. There is so much information and it takes a while to digest all the info.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Anneke : Rozette: I'm hoping we will get to discussing Thutmosis III and Amenhotep III by O'Connor and Cline at some point. I love those books and it would be great to be able to discuss those with others. There is so much information and it takes a while to digest all the info.

That would be great, I love those books too Razz !
Some time ago I noticed that you can read read some of the chapters of these books on the internet.
Amenhotep III: Perspectives on His Reign Door David B. O'Connor, Eric H. Cline
http://books.google.com/books?id=MzVszHxO3JoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Amenhotep+III&hl=nl&sig=CfrwQc7K6WGqy9oo504tgiW8LqI#PPA9,M1

Thutmose III: A New Biography Door Eric H. Cline, David B. O'Connor
http://books.google.com/books?id=eqHKDKo3cVsC&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq=nurse+nebetkabeny&source=web&ots=fVVAFC_oS2&sig=ZOmBsNTjK8wN3cAj-L8O6-Z9ivw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: