Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Dreams Book Club??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Which of the books do you have DoS? My guess is that you have the Lost Tomb by Weeks?

From the books mentioned, I have The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries by Mark Lehner, The Pyramids: The Mystery, Culture, and Science of Egypt's Great Monuments by Miroslav Verner, and The Lost Tomb by Kent Weeks.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a lot of fun! It would certainly keep the discussions going here. I would join right away but neither of the local libraries near me have Tyldesley's book about Ramses.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would join right away but neither of the local libraries near me have Tyldesley's book about Ramses.

That's okay because, like I said, Daughter_Of_SETI will be buying copies for everyone.

I should really stop saying that before people start believing me. Shocked

I wonder how such a situation could be handled for the benefit of people who can't find copies of the selected book? Most libraries belong to a system of lenders that can get copies of books from other libraries, so that should be explored by members interested in joining our club.

Is there some website where one can purchase a PDF version of books? I've done this once or twice with books for which I didn't care to pay full price and it tends to be absurdly cheap, but I don't know if such a thing exists for most books on the market.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally, do not know of any websites that sell PDF format books, but if I find any I will be sure to post here.
When is this book club supposed to officially start? I am all excited now!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ramsesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh" is the first one, right? I found my copy.

So, someone is going to have to make an executive decision here. Any chiefs amoung us Indians around here? Laughing

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me little Indian. Too meek to be chief. Anxious

I'm not sure anything has been decided yet. Right now we're sending out feelers to gauge the interest for the book club, and it's looking bright.

I'm not even sure at what point we decided on Tyldesley's Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh, but if the consensus seems to be that to this point, I'm all for it. I'd like to hear what Daughter_Of_SETI says, as she's the one who suggested the book club.

I tried hunting on the Web for a PDF version of Tyldesley's book but was unsuccessful. Bear in mind, however, that I'm not the savviest internet searcher.

If this is the book on which we all decide and there's no way for an interested member to get a copy from the local library, there's always the third-party Amazon option. On this page used copies of the book are dirt cheap. This should work for most any book we'd care to discuss here.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I'm not sure anything has been decided yet. <snip>

I'm not even sure at what point we decided on Tyldesley's Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh, but if the consensus seems to be that to this point, I'm all for it. I'd like to hear what Daughter_Of_SETI says, as she's the one who suggested the book club.
<snip>

We are still figuring out what the first book should be. My personal take on it is that we should start with Kent Weeks' book the lost tomb and read Tyldesley after that.

The reason being that DoS actually has the Lost Tomb and since this bookclub was originally her idea, it just seems wrong to start with a book she can't find on short notice.

LOL Since my title on the board is Queen of Egypt and someone has to make a choice, I'll do that:

Let's start with Lost Tomb by Weeks and lets start the discussion of the first chapter by Wednesday.

I can't find an online version, but second hand books can be found at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/068815087X
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I'd like to hear what Daughter_Of_SETI says, as she's the one who suggested the book club.

Thanks for the thought, but seeing as the decision has now been made we might as well stick to that...though, I'm okay with people starting with Tyldesley's first if it suits others better. Very Happy

Even so, I'd still personally like to hear what other people might like to see on the readers' list in the future, as it would be nice if everyone got to be a part of the choosing of books from time to time. So Diorite, ImageOfAten, Rozette, Kat, kennthhirst (or any others that would like to join us), any ideas of what you'd like to see us get around to reading and discussing sometime? Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
<snip> I'd still personally like to hear what other people might like to see on the readers' list in the future, as it would be nice if everyone got to be a part of the choosing of books from time to time. So Diorite, ImageOfAten, Rozette, Kat, kennthhirst (or any others that would like to join us), any ideas of what you'd like to see us get around to reading and discussing sometime?

I totally agree with you DoS. It would be nice to hear what others would like to read.

The only reason I stepped in was to speed up the process a bit. But while we are reading the first book we should have plenty of time to think about what to read next.

And since I picked the first book, I will leave it to the rest of the group to come up with the next title. It could be Tyldesley's book about Ramesses, but you may want to pick another one instead?
Nekht-Ankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in joining in after you've finished The Lost Tomb, particularly if the next book is Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow to our local Queen of Egypt. The Lost Tomb it is--a book I'd be happy to read again! Smile

So on Wednesday, like anneke suggested, we should have ourselves ready to discuss the first chapter. I'd encourage anyone and everyone who wishes to take part, to have himself or herself properly prepared.

I'd also suggest that when we start the discussion on The Lost Tomb, we move it to a new thread in this forum. We should keep this existing thread clear so we can continue to discuss upcoming books.

If the rest of the group agrees, I'd be fine with the next one being Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh. Let's see what others have to say. Wink

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already ordered The Lost Tomb in to my library, so I have no problem starting with that. While we are working on that one, I should have plenty of time to purchase and receive the Ramses book too. With that said, I am personally satisfied with the new order. I cannot wait to begin!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me next time I go looking for a book to look on my BOOKSHELVES before I go ransacking the closet! Rolling Eyes

When the book of choice for the first one ended up "The Lost Tomb" I just knew it was one of the books still boxed in the closet (awaiting the book case my brother-in-law is making me). So I climbed in the closet and started lifting out boxes. I found lots of books from my other passions, but, alas, other than the large Tut books, nada from the Ancient Egypt collection.

Exhausted and frustrated, I came back into the living room. I looked at the little book case, there it was sitting right next to Hoving's book on the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb. Duh!

Oh, and I was pleased to see that kmt_sesh recommended a new thread for each book. I was going to do that, but he beat me to it.

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Exhausted and frustrated, I came back into the living room. I looked at the little book case, there it was sitting right next to Hoving's book on the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb. Duh!

Laughing Maybe you'd better set up a computerized database and filing system for your books so you know where to find them. I say this because I've done exactly the same thing. Sometimes I think the book I want to find has grown legs and is playing hide and seek with me, only to jump back into place later when I no longer need it.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up The Lost Tomb today. So, I am ready to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: