Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queen Sitiah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Queen Sitiah Reply with quote

I recently received images from a Mr Lagall showing Queen Satiah. The scene comes from Karnak.

I had never even heard of this depiction of the queen.
I have a copy on my website:
Queen Sitiah page

Here's link to the specific picture:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff121/bart-anneke/egypt/satiah1v2.jpg

I was rather surprised to see Menkheperre (Tuthmosis III) depicted behind Sitiah, and both depicted as being the same size.

Sitiah was queen during the earlier part of Tuthmosis' reign. She may have been one of his first queens? She was the daughter of a wetnurse named Ipu.

Do any of you by any chance know more about this scene from Karnak? I can't tell from what kind of temple it came or what the scene depicts in general.
Sitiah is holding a rather special sceptre. Anyone know more about that one? Is it the one associated with the God's Wife? Satiah doesn't have that title here, only in an inscription that may have been usurped from Neferure.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that block before - how fascinating it is! I wonder if it is at the Festival Hall of Thutmose III's, or perhaps its now in one of the outside storage magazines? I'm really really curious as to where it is, and its in pretty good condition too.
Wink Does Mr Lagall not want to let on where it is?

Pity there's no more of the scene to see - its certainly quite remarkable. Does it look to you like Satiah is holding a mace in her other hand with the ankh? I've seen Hatshepsut holding a mace before but its not exactly common. The sceptre she holds is strange - almost like a fan or rounded knife. It's probably nothing but since I first thought knife I looked in Garniner and there is a similar symbol, a ideogram for butchers knife (T34) and it was actually used in Thutmose III's offering texts in the Hall of Annals at Karnak. But why a queen would carry such a object I don't know though Confused !! I hope someone else knows, its intriguing.

Notice she's wearing a vulture and headress, rather than a cobra.

I wonder who the figure in front of her is - another king perhaps?
Its amazing that she's placed in front of Thutmose III! I wonder if this block is published, its not in any of my books including Cline and Conner's Thutmose III or Dodson's Royal Family. It's be interesting to know how Egyptologists view this block.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was quite fascinating myself. The gentleman who sent it to me mentions that it's a representation of a statue of Sitiah? In this case she could be standing between two copies of statues of Tuthmosis III.

There is another scene where a statue of Merytre hatshepsut is shown:

Scene from a tomb in Ab-del-Qurna. The scene seems to depict a statue of Merytre Hatshepsut. Lepsius Abt III, Band 5, Bl. 63

Depictions of Sitiah are rather rare and I had never heard of this one either.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Neferure hold a similar sceptre. The depictions also come from Luxor and from blocks (they were shown in a recent KMT journal issue)
I have drawings of the scenes on my Neferure page:
http://euler.slu.edu/Dept/Faculty/bart/egyptianhtml/kings%20and%20Queens/Neferure.html
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Sesen :
I wonder if it is at the Festival Hall of Thutmose III's............

According to Dimitri Laboury, Royal Portrait and Ideology : Evolution and Signification of the Statuary of Thutmose III pg 287 (Thutmose III, a New Biography) are there some reliefs of queen Satiah accompanying Thutmose III in the Akh Menu (Barguet 1962).
Iufaa
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Sitiah Reply with quote

There is at least one representation of Sitiah and Thutmosis III in the Akh-menu, in Corridor XLA on the north side. The corridor is not accessible to the public.

See also Porter&Moss II, p. 124, no. 436, and plan XIII, 3 for the exact position.

Best regards,

Iufaa
bobevans01
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Sitiah Reply with quote

It is interesting to me that the figure in front has a fake beard normaly worn by the king as opposed to a beard connected to the neck, signifying a god. The male figure with the cobra 'war' crown has no beard, indicating the prince heir apparent. Could the first figure be Hatshepsut, followed by Sitiah, followed by Thutmose III?
Available at Amazon.com or from me
rabarbar
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about:

1 Chronicles 4:18 (KJV Bible)

And his wife Jehudijah bare Jered the father of Gedor, and Heber the father of Socho, and Jekuthiel the father of Zanoah. And these [are] the sons of Bithiah the daughter of Pharaoh, which Mered took.

In original Hebrew words this name is בִּתְיָ֣ה, where בַּת (bath) means daughter. We can read about this biblical person on wiki.
Bit and Sit have the same meaning and phonetically very close pronunciation. So, Sitiah and Bitiah - one person? And, whose daughter is Bitiah? The Jewish tradition tells us, Bitiah means daughter of YHVH. Egyptian hieroglyphs tell us that Sitiah means daughter of Iah (moon god).
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty well attested that Sitiah was a daughter of a woman named Ipu or Iput who was one of Thutmose III's nurses. They very likely grew up together.

Who Iput was is uncertain. Ahmose Pen Nekhbet had a wife of the same name but records no children. To be Sitiah's mother, this Iput would have to have been much younger than her husband.

Whoever she was, since royal nurses in this period were generally wives of highly placed officials, Iput was a person of the very high elite, possibly a distant relation of the royal family.

It doesn't seem possible that she was the Bitiah mentioned in the Bible. Sitiah never claimed the title of king's daughter.

Looking at the original relief that started this thread, I wonder if it is possible that the queen seen walking between an unidentified king and Thutmose III was originally Neferure. I don't see any reworking around the cartouche but it could be one of those unusual depictions of the princess that have led some to believe that Hatshepsut intended for her to succede her on the throne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: