Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Black Pharaohs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: The Black Pharaohs Reply with quote

In this months issue of the National Geographic Society magazine, there is an article on the Pharaohs from Nubia. (I haven;t read it yet: Just received it!)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed it yesterday when I was at Barnes and Nobles. I will have to buy that magazine this month Smile
It looked like a quite a few pages of information with several artist rederings of historical events.

I'm guessing it's about Piye, Shabaka, Shabataka, Taharqa and Tanutamun.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Phararoh's

By Robert Draper
Photographs by Kenneth Garrett

For 75 years Nubian kings ruled over ancient Egypt, reunifying the country and building an empire. Until recently, theirs was a chapter of history lost in the shadows.

An interesting 5 page article !
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/2008-02/black-pharaohs/draper-text.html
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I noticed it yesterday when I was at Barnes and Nobles. I will have to buy that magazine this month Smile
It looked like a quite a few pages of information with several artist rederings of historical events.

I'm guessing it's about Piye, Shabaka, Shabataka, Taharqa and Tanutamun.

I received my copy today. Yep, Anneke, it mentions Piye, Shabaka, Taharqa, but not Tanutamun.

It also contains, beyond the fanciful paintings, some statues of Nubian kings recovered from Kerma, and the wonderful rendition of Kawit (sent from Nubia to Mentuhotep II?) having her hair done which I've seen somewhere else, several scenes from Nubia, and a painting from Huy's tomb.

Of course, you can't do justice to the 25th dynasty in a short article in National Geographic, but it's a good, brief introduction.

What struck me was that right up at the front of the article two racist views were attacked and, I hope, demolished, those views being: 1) that black people could never have been so refined and civilized (mentioning proponents Lepsius and Reisner by name) and 2) the Afrocentric view that the ancient Egyptians as a whole were black from Tutankhamun on (and I own one Egyptian grammar, somewhere, which argues that they all were).

On an archaeologically disturbing note the author, Robert Draper, mentions that the Sudanese government is building the hydroelectric Merowe dam 600 miles above the Aswan dam, to be completed by 2009. The territory around the 4th cataract will be flooded and "thousands of unexplored sites" will be lost. Well, they probably need the power there, but it would be nice for Nubia's history (and the Sudan's as well, presumably) if those sites could be excavated.

Anyhow, it was an enjoyable, if brief, article.

Bob
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this vein I have had Morkot's book "The Black Pharoahs: Egypt's Nubian Rulers" for more than a year now and still haven't gotten around to reading it but it's in the queue somewhere. I noticed that Anneke has mentioned it in other posts, maybe some others. I wonder what Anneke (and any others) think of it.

Not that a bad review would stop me from ultimately reading it. I'm just curious about other's opinions, that's all.

Bob
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobManske wrote:
Not that a bad review would stop me from ultimately reading it. I'm just curious about other's opinions, that's all.

Well, I read the book a year or so ago, and I really enjoyed it! I read it at a time when I didn't really know anything about the Nubians, but it was still fairly easy to follow. From what I recall, I enjoyed the first few chapters the most which was about the Nubians in the early years before they ruled Egypt.

Great book! Definitely well worth the read. Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Bob. I will definitely buy the latest NGeo then. Even though a short article can't do the entire period justice, it will be nice to read about that time period.

I recommend Morkot's Black Pharaohs. It's very well written and I found the information fascinating.

Somehow I got the bug a bit after reading about this article and someone had asked if I was going to add some pages about the 25th dynasty to my website. And I will in the next couple of days (maybe week or two) add what I have on these pharaohs.

I will likely use some information put together by one of our former members Segereh.

I was reading about Taharqa and how he was defeated by one of the Assyrian kings during the second half of his reign. There is an Assyrian stela showing the King with the Nubian crown prince and a Prince of Tyre before him. One of the articles I was looking at states that the nubian crown prince is depicted with a rope through his lips Shocked Yikes!
Apparently the crown prince and part of the female household fell into the hands of the Assyrians. I don't remmeber ever reading anything about what happened to those poor Nubian captives.
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Turkish version of this months issue of the National Geographic Society magazine now! Smile
Madge
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Nat Geo Reply with quote

As usual, fantastic pictures accompany this article and it runs for several pages so it's a must for any Egyptology fans.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Smile
Yeah, it caught my eye in the check-out aisle at the grocery store and I bought it right away. I haven't read it yet because I moved and it's still at the old house, but I can't wait to read it!
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but where is Tanutamun? Sad
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amun wrote:

He's on a lunch-break. Back in a jippee. Confused

Spinner wrote:
What struck me was that right up at the front of the article two racist views were attacked and, I hope, demolished, those views being: 1) that black people could never have been so refined and civilized (mentioning proponents Lepsius and Reisner by name) and 2) the Afrocentric view that the ancient Egyptians as a whole were black from Tutankhamun on (and I own one Egyptian grammar, somewhere, which argues that they all were).

That was a courageous thing to write, seeing how many people still buy that (sorry) crap.
There's no factual basis for any of both theories, and seeing people sell it as "truth" can be quite annoying.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Osiris, for mentioning the article about the Nubians in the National Geographic magazine. Very Happy I've never bought any of the NG's magazines before, so I would definitely have missed it otherwise, and it was such an interesting article. pharaohthumb

notworthy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
KENNDO
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
Amun wrote:

He's on a lunch-break. Back in a jippee. Confused

Spinner wrote:

That was a courageous thing to write, seeing how many people still buy that (sorry) crap.
There's no factual basis for any of both theories, and seeing people sell it as "truth" can be quite annoying.

king tut was a mixed race black person.most ancient egyptians were black africans up until the late ancient or medieval period.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KENNDO wrote:
king tut was a mixed race black person.
most ancient egyptians were black africans up until the late ancient or medieval period.

Most Ancient Egyptians were Ancient Egyptians.
Talking of race in this context is like trying to ride a bike on an iceberg.
Quite frustrating and very very slippery.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: