Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the skull of Smenkhkare or Akhenaten?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are also notices from Maspero that he has seen the cartouche of Akhenaton on the now lost golden mummy ribbons.

To complete ... Davies, Theodore M.: The Tomb Of Siphtah with The Tomb Of Queen Tiyi. - London: Duckworth, 2001 gives an article by Maspero he wrote for the original publication of the Davis excavation report. The title is "A Sketch Of Queen Tiyi`s Life".

Greetings,

Lutz
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to ask your opinions...

Who was he?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I lean towards it being Akhenaten.
The magical bricks, the damage to the cartouche are just two of the factors.
The estimated age is vague enough that you can't really say much from that.

But that is just my personal "hunch" at this point. There really is not enough evidence to say anything definitive.

The cynical part of me always wonders: what if this is just Tut's favorite gardener who he decided to give a splendid burial in some left over funerary equipment? Very Happy
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was Akhenaten! (but we don't have any proof!)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed some discussion on EEF about a collar from KV55.
After my joke about the gardener, I thought it might be interesting that one of the members (Ms Luban) points to some serological work done on the mummy.

Apparently a fairly rare blood type (A2 with antigen MN?) shared by the KV 55 mummy and Tut points to the KV 55 mummy being at least royal.

That would point to Akhenaten, Smenkhare or another royal male.

We do not know of any other royal males, but wouldn't we expect Amenhotep III to havae had other sons ass well? He lived for a relatively long time and had access to a harem. One would expect there to be a couple of royal sons here and there.

Having said that: I don't know why they (other royal males) would have been buried in the valley of the kings.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. This is a mainly a modern conception. The word heretic itself is a nonsense when employed with the egyptian religions.

Sorry for the mis-use of heretic. He was referred to as "the criminal of Aketaten. Same answer for #2.

3. The Amarna steles remainded untouched and anybody can see them.

On this subject, I must concede. The overall condition is poor, but due mainly to age and weathering, not defacement. Do you think they may have been just overlooked? They are in very obscure places.

Nice story ... For a movie or a book ... But nothing more.

You cannot possible deny that the tomb was defaced.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gold ribbons from which his name had been cut out still encircled the body, back and front A.Weigall in http://www.archive.org/details/lifetimesofakhna00weiguoft p.248

A.Weigall comment is slighly different from G.Maspero who wrote : p.XIII sheet of gold... their legends asserted the mummy to be no other than Khuniatonu himself p.xiv .... ... the body discovered.... that man is Khuniatonu...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... We do not know of any other royal males, but wouldn't we expect Amenhotep III to havae had other sons ass well?

We do. Thutmosis, Kings son of his body, Sem-priest, High priest of Ptah in Memphis. He organized the first known Apis-Bull funeral at Sakkara.
We know his name and titles from 4 pieces.

1 in Cairo : A stone sarcophagus for his beloved cat "Miau" and 3 in Berlin Cool : A relief fragment from Memphis showing him standing behind his father doing offerings as a priest. A stone sarcophagus for an figure of the death prinz on a lion-bed and also the figure itself.

Quote:
Having said that: I don't know why they (other royal males) would have been buried in the valley of the kings.

There are many un-named small tombs in the Valleys of the Queens and of the Kings ...

Greetings,

Lutz
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

We do. Thutmosis, Kings son of his body, Sem-priest, High priest of Ptah in Memphis. He organized the first known Apis-Bull funeral at Sakkara.
We know his name and titles from 4 pieces.

Ah yes of course! Don't know why I wrote that Embarassed

But I would still expect Amenhotep to have had more sons. I looked up the info on my own website (should have done that sooner) and in the tomb of Heqareshu (TT226) as many as 4 sons of Amenhotep are shown. I do believe that Heqareshu would date to the time of Amenhotep III. Unless he is shown with 4 sons of Tuthmosis IV?

But I'm just thinking out loud. It seems that the body in KV 55 is royal and it makes more sense that the man belonged to the immediate royal family. I.e. was one of the kings.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard. wrote:
the gold ribbons from which his name had been cut out still encircled the body, back and front A.Weigall in http://www.archive.org/details/lifetimesofakhna00weiguoft p.248

A.Weigall comment is slighly different from G.Maspero who wrote : p.XIII sheet of gold... their legends asserted the mummy to be no other than Khuniatonu himself p.xiv .... ... the body discovered.... that man is Khuniatonu...

Maybe they talked about different things. Weigall could have remembered to the inlayed ribbon of gold from the top of the coffin subdivides. The wood was total destroyed but the golden cover was still there (Restored in Munich, now in Cairo). In this inscription ribbon the cartouche is remote in the same kind like on the top of the coffin : cut out.

Greetings,

Lutz
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... I looked up the info on my own website (should have done that sooner) and in the tomb of Heqareshu (TT226) as many as 4 sons of Amenhotep are shown. I do believe that Heqareshu would date to the time of Amenhotep III. Unless he is shown with 4 sons of Tuthmosis IV? ...

As far as I know (and if Habachi is right) TT 226 is the tomb of the tutor of the later king Thutmosis IV., Heqareshu. But he and his son Heqarrenechech (tutor / nurse of Amenhotep III) appear also together in TT 64. But in all cases "just" brothers of the later Amenhotep III. (sons of Thutmosis IV.) are depicted.

Greetings,

Lutz
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out. I will have to correct that information - or at least amend it.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote :
Quote:
As far as I know (and if Habachi is right) TT 226 is the tomb of the tutor of the later king Thutmosis IV., Heqareshu.

Habachi identified Theban Tomb 226 as the resting place of Hekareshu.

Betsy Bryan in "The Reign of Thutmose IV" says that this argument rests on faulty evidence. Habachi attributed titles to Hekareshu which he never held.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rozette wrote:
Lutz wrote :
Quote:
As far as I know (and if Habachi is right) TT 226 is the tomb of the tutor of the later king Thutmosis IV., Heqareshu.

Habachi identified Theban Tomb 226 as the resting place of Hekareshu.

Betsy Bryan in "The Reign of Thutmose IV" says that this argument rests on faulty evidence. Habachi attributed titles to Hekareshu which he never held.

Yes, there seems to be no uniform opinion :

Waseda University, Japan gives for TT 226 "Name lost. Royal scribe ; Overseer of the royal nurses. Time : Amenhotep III.".
( http://db2.littera.waseda.ac.jp/egypt/ )

Friederike Kampp : Die Thebanische Nekropole (Mainz: Zabern, 1996) on page 502 :

Quote:
" Owner : unknown, probably Hekareshu ( Habachi could present this plausibly, the former owner might be Hekareshu, ... ) ... "

Greetings,

Lutz
Mayameritay
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, today I saw the mummy again while copying my old Videos on DVD, and I think it really could be Anchen-Aten. There are a lot things similiar to Tut-ankh-Amen. The strange form of the head, the teeth and so on. And the Person ist to old to be the ghost-like Smench-Ka-Ra, they said, he isn t younger than 30/35 and not older than 45. Im very interested in news and hope, we will hear, read or see some news about that, soon.
Regards
Meritay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: