Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help I can't post replies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rath_the_scribe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Help I can't post replies Reply with quote

I can't post replies every time I do I get the invalied session message.
Armon:Muscle
Rath:Muscle
Armon:Brains
Rath:Ha! Gotcha!-mummies Alive!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem when I am at home.

My problem is apparently AOL. What helps for me is to empty the cache, and delete all cookies. After deleting the cookies you will have to sign on again.

It's still abit of a crapshoot after that. I have found that sometimes reloading your message before you submit it seems to help. This is especially the case if it's busy and there are other people posting at the same time.

Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but AOL is a pain.

This message board is based on something called 'sessions'. Basically it means that when you are logged on you are assigned a session so that the board knows who you are and remembers who you are for the duration (session) of your visit. This is related to the fact that every user has a unique IP address (unique identifier in simple terms) when they log on to the Internet.

The problem with AOL, unlike any other provider, is that they dynamically change IP addresses whenever you look at a different page. This means that, in effect, you are a different unique visitor every time you look at a different page on a web site. Therefore your session expires whenever you go to a different page. So this board (and many others on the Internet) can't keep a track of you and the fact that you are logged in.

So, when you read a post and then want to respond, you are going to a new page to add your post, AOL has then changed your IP address, and this board then doesn't know who you are or that you are logged in. Hence the error - you can't post if you are not logged in.

I hope my explaination isn't confusing and helps explain the problem. Smile

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done about this other than connect to the Internet with a company other than AOL. (Can you tell I'm not a great fan of AOL? Wink )
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a seasoned AOL user (about 10 years) I have to agree it is a total pain for somethings Sad , however I have found a way around the problem.

Sign on as normal using AOL's browser, then reduce it and open up IE (hopefully you will have a copy already installed on your computer) and use that to sign in and post to this forum. I never have a problem when I do this. Very Happy (It also works just as well with Opera and Netscape browsers.)

Hopefully this will solve your problem.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try it at home.
It would be wonderful if I could get that to work Very Happy
Thanks!!
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep my fingers crossed Smile Let me know if it works for you.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it seems to work like a charm Smile
Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anneke, thanks for getting back and glad to hear all is working okay. There is always a niggling doubt that what may work on one computer, won't on another.

Last edited by Jan on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:
Hi Anneke, thanks for getting back and glad to hear all is working okay. There is always a niggling doubt that would may work on one computer, won't on another.

That's so true Smile

I did respond so that others know that this actually works for the both of us.
There may be many more AOL users who try to post but can't. Wouldn't want to keep anyone from joining in any discussion due to a technical glitch.

Just using Explorer or Netscape is such a simple solution to the problem.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem here, using Explorer, that's a fact...
Neteria
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my problem with posting replies is well known, but the diagnostic I am finding doesn't seem to fit. I use Mozilla Firefox and this is the fist time I encounter the rejection, as shown:

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Top Ten Archaeology Finds of 2009" at Egyptian Dreams. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=53600#53600

This was rejected with the note that it "does not exist".
Now, I may be doing something wrong, not being familiar with the procedures, but I tried opening the topic from another window and it was there just fine.
While we're at it, how do I get to write a quote before answering it?
The "inserted rectangle" format seems good and proper, so I would be ready to put it to use.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It likely failed because a spammer had been posting under the topic you mentioned. I deleted the message earlier today, therefore the link in the email became invalid and no longer existed.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neteria wrote:

While we're at it, how do I get to write a quote before answering it?
The "inserted rectangle" format seems good and proper, so I would be ready to put it to use.
You mean like this??

Click on the quote button to the right of the post you want to quote Wink

Everything between the [ quote] and [/ quote] will be quoted in a box, as above.
Neteria
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
It likely failed because a spammer had been posting under the topic you mentioned. I deleted the message earlier today, therefore the link in the email became invalid and no longer existed.

Good, Kevin, so somebody was indeed posting a reply to one of my analyses, but was then thrown off the tarmac.
I must assume that "spammer" is not a valid username, but a deprecatory apellation on the "stowaway" class.
People of that ilk are unlikely to post meaningful replies, so I hope only irredeemable garbage (rubbish) was thus deleted. Am I right?
But it was still a single ray of hope, now faded away: unfortunately, there seems to be nobody interested any longer in keeping that thread alive, in spite of many interesting avenues of analysis that were opening up.
Now, did I get the quoting procedure right? Still, some ignorance remains...
I believe that I found my way blocked to picking other quotes from the same post I had already quoted: if I try scrolling back up, from the later posts to the original, the movement gets stopped when it hits my own working space for the post I'm configuring. Then I get a "review" of posts that goes back in time but some posts are ,listed only partially, and the chronological order seems to be altered.
This means that apparently I can get and post new quotes only from posts occuring after the quote I have picked up: selecting more quotes from it is thus forbidden? and what about quoting in the same way from any related earlier posts?
Sorry that I have to ask so much, but I would like to master the methods, so I can concentrate on the substance. Thanks in advance,
Ladislao
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Forum Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: