Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about several things, mainly Maat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: well again, thank you... Reply with quote

one cannot fully appreciate the sunlight if one hasn't seen the dark of night.<------- and there we have it folks.... Ma'at. I guess the actual expression of Ma'at, is kinda hmmm... most enlightening on the subject.
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What are empidocles? "

Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empedocles
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amun:

http://selftrans.***/v3_1/survey1/survey19/survey19.html
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Rofl This thread is getting rather absurde...
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Truly Reply with quote

Argggh that was meant as a question! My computer killed itself (by snake bite), apparently it decided to follow in the legendary footsteps of Cleopatra 7) last night. Now on my fiance's Finnish computer... It is designed weird with a demented keyboard! I cant figure out some symbols and stuffs.... Anyway, yeh it is getting absurd. But.... it got me the answers i was looking for!!! So it was all worthwhile. Thanks all!
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about several things, mainly Maat Reply with quote

Gerard. wrote:
Looking into W.Murnane's book 'Texts from Amarna' confirms what Anneke was saying above about Maat : "earlier part of his reign".
Embarassed "The King of Upper and Lower Egypt, who lives on Maat" is in the texts of steles and courtiers' tombs at Amarna.
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Awww Don't feel ashamed! Reply with quote

"No matter how much we have learned, all we have really learned, is that like everyone else, we are still learning, with much knowledge remaining for us to learn."- My granny

You are an amazing source of information You know quite a great deal especially about Ancient Egypt. So, sometimes, you think one thing and find it is another thing.... No shame. The science and what we know on the subject of ancient egypt is always changing. Or maybe, we never knew or were never sure at all, in which case, when we make a mistake and get a correction, rather than blushing ashamed or embarrassed of the error or lack of knowledge of the subject matter particular to the situation which causes us to blush, we should instead, smile joyously and raise our chin proudly in acknowledgement that we have learned something new.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my first message was posted, I was probably thinking of specific representations of Maat (eg: The Tomb of Vizir Ramose NdG.Davis Plate XXIX). In any case it was a half-baked job.

IMO "The King of Upper and Lower Egypt, who lives on Maat" sound like a stock phrase, one find over and over.
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: hmm mmhhmmm Reply with quote

interesting.... And actually Laughing
It does it does!
Sounds like some tacky piece of prapaganda...
Kinda like the good all american elections... Who ever can spout about God the loudest, usually gets elected.... Too bad ignorant views so often sound louder than those backed by good sense,,, But yes i see your point.... It is like Bush moaning about houses of worship and about how God loves him and chose him because he is such a christian man... (if ordering thousands of ppl can be called christian.... I am dubious about that....The fictional tablets i think said something about it.....) Laughing
But yes, sounds like a poetic plug in.... For example in the Odissey (Pardon my crap apelling if i spelled it wrong) It seems there are a few 'plug ins' like the continuous references to,"The grey eyed Athena."if that makes any sense... But this one sounds the same only egyptian and about Pharaoh....
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems there are a few 'plug ins' like the continuous references to,"The grey eyed Athena."if that makes any sense...

There's actually a reason for that, and it also occurs in The Iliad. It sounds odd in English but in the Classical Greek it makes perfect sense, because these were epic poems governed by a specific meter that the orator used. You'll often find the same epithets for the deities, like "Achilleus of the swift feet," "Apollo who strikes from afar," and your example of "the gray-eyed Athena." The repetition of these epithets as well as other, similar repetitions helped to make sure any given line of the recitation used the correct meter.

LOL I should stress I certainly do not know how to speak Classical Greek; this is merely what I've learned in reading about Homer and his age. I should also admit that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the Egyptian concept of maat, but...well, I just like to spout off. Laughing

Visit my blog!
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Ok Survivor Egyptian Dreams, Tribal Council Reply with quote

Last time Amun was voted off the island-errr forum.... It is time again, for us all to cast our votes, for who is to go next..... Let the voting begin!

I vote for kmt_sesh, so he will take his truly horrifying snake and wsnake pictures with him.... He just made me cry.... I couldn't breathe for a second there.... I turned all pale, my fiance thought i had a heart attack and was moving in to grab me, to stuff me in the car to go to the hospital.... I am afraid, such displays are bad for both my mental and physical health.... Kmt_sesh, has also just now been voted off my Xmas list.... Which ofcourse, as a good Buddhist and druid i take *very* seriously. Twisted Evil

Bu8t on a more serious note as that last one was total crap.... cept the Xmas list bit....Kmt_Sesh, will receive only a stocking full of coal and the rest of you will get a nice stocking stuffed with goodies, perhaps with little bits of ancient egyptian material.... Some papyrus to practice your scribal skills....some yummy candy.... and some good books on Ancient Egypt.... My poor fiance had a total freak out a moment ago, you see, he saw the air catch in my breath, and i turned pale and started to cry, He freaked he thought i was having a heart attack and damn nearly hauled me out the door... picked me up but soon as i was away from the screen i got better... he asked who happened, so i told him about the offending post.... And he changed it so that the image was off the screan.....Seriously, for a moment there he thought i was *dieing.* I wish you could have seen my face and the reaction, my body tenses up i go pale the breath catches and i can't breathe and i just shake, tearing as, i try to catch my breath.... In the end all that was needed was a paper bag.... But if someone to change the screen weren't here.... That could have been dangerous... And i know, no one would ever mean to cause anyone harm.... I will have horrible nightmares too for likely atleast the next week.... I don't know that i can keep coming to this board..... I can see, how it may be amusing as i am just a name on a screen, not particularly *real* And it is easy enough to not realize how severe a phobia really is, but ummm.... It is actually, a very serious one, that could actually cause some serious damage to my health and well being.... it really is not a joke.... i am deathly terrified.... though, most people will never understand fear of that degree of severity, as most don't feel it.... It is a sort of debilitating crippling terror that is so extreme, it is all encompassing and goes beyond a 'preference, or a distaste.' This kind of fear is something i hope no one else ever has to feel... It isn't a toy.... Or a game...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bu8t on a more serious note as that last one was total crap.... cept the Xmas list bit....Kmt_Sesh, will receive only a stocking full of coal...

No, coal won't teach me a lesson. If you want to punish me, you'll have to fill my stocking with big, hairy spiders! My fear as spiders isn't as profound as your fear of snakes appears to be, but I definitely do have some degree of arachnophobia. Not a week goes by that I don't have at least one nightmare about them.

By the way, I went in and deleted the post with the photos of kittens, puppies, and snakes. It no longer exists. I had no idea you were that serious about snakes so I offer my apologies. I'm too playful sometimes.

Visit my blog!
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Thank you for getting rid of it... Reply with quote

Seriously that picture was..... horrid.... and horrible and so very scary. I am very fgreatful to you for getting rid of it. Thank you. You could have left the puppies and kittens though.... Those were rather nice....

As for the apology.... Totally accepted. I am sorry too you know i wuv you dearly? I guess it wasn't really you i wanted to vote off the island.... But just that horrible picture of the snake....

Yes, i have a *very* serious issue with phobia when it comes to those creatures.... I have even gone to doctors to try to get help.... So far, no luck. And it is hard to know how serious things are, especially through this textual medium... Its ok.... And no i will not be putting up photos of spiders to get even. I will pretend to be a grown up. (For once Twisted Evil )

Also, i am sorry i didn't make it clearer.... But i hope we can be happy now like it never happened.... If not i totally understand....
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I wuv you too.

Quote:
And no i will not be putting up photos of spiders to get even.

Back near the start of the war in Iraq someone here at ED came across a photo of American soldiers who had found camel spiders. You can Google them to see them for yourself--LOL I'd rather not. Just the sight of these huge spiders freaks me out, so naturally other posters who knew of my phobia started to post them fairly regularly. I think that's why I posted that nasty photo of the snake. I was having a chuckle over what the posters used to do to me, but I didn't know you're phobia was so much worse than mine. Again, I'm sorry I did that.

As for the puppies and kittens, no one can have too many of those, so here are some more (along with some other cuddly critters--but don't worry, no snakes). Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Seshat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read all the comments here, but I think it ought to be pointed out that one of Akhenaten's widely used titles is 3nh m M33t. Living in Truth. I think Maat is also mentioned in the hymn to the Aten.
I have rather victorian feelings about Akhenaten, but it seems clear from this that Maat was valued as a concept during the Amarna period, even if in its aftermath, the Amarna period was considered something completely the opposite of Maat. The epithet indicates that Akhenaten at least seemed to believe he was adhering to some form of Maat.
See here for a picture of [url]http://www.osirisnet.net/dieux/maat/e_maat.htm [/url]Akhenaten offering Maat to Aten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: