Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secrets of the Valley of the Kings- NEWS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, an intact tomb would be pretty neat. To put it lightly

I think it would be great if we a found a Tutankhamen like tomb now. With today's computers, colour photos and the books they would produce it would make it easer for the rest of us and preserve it for years to come.

Photos And Information about Egyptian objects in Australia

Pompeii news and photos
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all dream of another KV62. Hell, KV63 was very exciting. I tend to doubt if such a royal tomb still exists, by which I mean still mostly intact, but one never knows. The tombs of numerous kings are still unaccounted for and places like Saqqara and Thebes remain only partially excavated.

Visit my blog!
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royal tombs arn't hard to find. look at the syrian wives of thutmose III. thery're tomb was found in the valley of the apes, and intact. and the wives and princesses of the 12th dynasty arn't intact, but the robbers missed their jewellry. and then there are the graves of minor members of the second intermediate period royals that have had more or less intact burials. and their was meresankh III at giza. they found her mummy, still in its resting place.
so its possible. and there are lots of late period royals yet to be found, and the ptolemies. whether ther are more in the valley of kings is another question.
i still think they should investigate the other half of the valley of kings. they might find herihor's tomb.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt sesh said:
I tend to doubt if such a royal tomb still exists

I'd be very careful making such a statement, kmt. Wasn't it Davis, who, when he turned over his permit to dig in the VOK, said that Carter's plan was hopeless--there was nothing further to discover? And Carter went on to find King Tutanhamen! It seems that no matter how much the Valley is considered "worked out", discoveries are made. I agree that it is very unlikely a unrobbed tomb would be found...but you never know!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
kmt sesh said:
I tend to doubt if such a royal tomb still exists

I'd be very careful making such a statement, kmt. Wasn't it Davis, who, when he turned over his permit to dig in the VOK, said that Carter's plan was hopeless--there was nothing further to discover? And Carter went on to find King Tutanhamen! It seems that no matter how much the Valley is considered "worked out", discoveries are made. I agree that it is very unlikely a unrobbed tomb would be found...but you never know!

You're right, of course. The possibility is always there, which is why I used the weak form "I tend to doubt" in my statement. I'm not ruling it out, I'm just saying the odds are against finding another KV62.

I won't pull a Davis and say, "Nope. Uh-huh. Never gonna happen." Even I'm not that much of a dunder-head (which could've been Davis's middle name). I remain a doubting Thomas, a true skeptic...

But I'd love to be proven wrong! pharaohthumb

Visit my blog!
Wenembau
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. There is an interview with Zahi Hawass on his website where he has confirmed he has found two new tombs KV64 and KV65. He hasnt said who the tombs belong to but we probably wont be certain until excavations resume in October. Smile
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wenembau for pointing that out Smile

Here is the related part of the article:
Click the below image for the full article and pictures
http://guardians.net/spotlite/spotlite-hawass-2008.htm

Quote:
Andrew: Hi Zahi. It seems like lots of exciting things have been happening in Egypt since we last spoke. Tell me something new and exciting.

Zahi: At Saqqara we have just found a pyramid of a queen, she was one of the queenís of King Teti but we didnít announce this formally yet. We also found other tombs that we havenít yet announced at Saqqara.

At the Valley of the Kings, we are excavating now, we found the entrances of 2 tombs, KV 64 and KV 65 and in October we will start the excavation.

Andrew: Do you believe that one of these tombs belonged to Ramesses VIII?

Zahi: Yes, the one between Merneptah and Ramesses II could be the Tomb of Ramesses VIII.

Andrew: What about the (undiscovered) Tomb of Amenhotep I?

Zahi: Amenhotep I should be at Deir El Bahri because they found evidence there of the beginning of a temple, we believe that this tomb should be located behind the temple. The temple was built after that. But in the Valley of the Kings should be Queen Nefertiti, Thutmose II, Ramesses VIII and all the queens of Dynasty 18, they were not buried in the Valley of the Queens because the Valley of the Queens was started in Dynasty 19, and therefore we are open to finding anything.

Andrew: Its very exciting what youíve done in the Valley of the Kings, with the new improvements, it looks beautiful.

Zahi: You like the valley? We have these big changes everywhere.

Pompeii news and photos
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoohoo! That is big news. Thanks for sharing the article with us. We'll see what the coming excavations bring, and hopefully they'll turn out to be more than just a couple of little embalmer's caches or last-meal deposits. There are probably a lot more of those lying around the Valley.

The discovery of Ramesses VIII's tomb would be very big news. I look forward to hearing more.

I wonder who will be doing the excavations? Otto Schaden, whose team excavated KV63, is now part of the SCA's excavation teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Hawass calls on him to lead one of the projects.

Visit my blog!
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this:
Quote:

But in the Valley of the Kings should be Queen Nefertiti, Thutmose II, Ramesses VIII

Laughing

Pompeii news and photos
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Hey, you never know. She may have been relocated there, or maybe she had a spat with Akhenaten and said, "You're a loon. I'm building my tomb in the Valley!" Razz

Visit my blog!
Wenembau
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In two weeks ill be going to a lecture by Dr Hawass on current excavations in the Valley and he will undoubtably jump to some sort of conclusion as to who the tombs belong too. I'll take as many details as possible and post it to this thread when I get home Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a good experience, Wenembau.

Hawass has spoken numerous times over the years here in Chicago but I've never made it to one of his lectures.

Regarding the new discoveries in the Valley, I can only hope that Hawass keeps his head out of the clouds this time. The business with KV63 and Kiya was just silly.

Visit my blog!
The Green Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Whoohoo! That is big news. Thanks for sharing the article with us. We'll see what the coming excavations bring, and hopefully they'll turn out to be more than just a couple of little embalmer's caches or last-meal deposits. There are probably a lot more of those lying around the Valley.

The discovery of Ramesses VIII's tomb would be very big news. I look forward to hearing more.

I wonder who will be doing the excavations? Otto Schaden, whose team excavated KV63, is now part of the SCA's excavation teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Hawass calls on him to lead one of the projects.

Suffice to say it definetely won't be Nicholas Reeves! Laughing

This is very exciting news. Even robbed-out burials can provide a great deal of information & knowledge.
The Green Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
LOL Hey, you never know. She may have been relocated there, or maybe she had a spat with Akhenaten and said, "You're a loon. I'm building my tomb in the Valley!" Razz

Nicholas Reeves (and I trust his opinion on the matter more than Hawass) has said on many occasions that Nefertiti's remains may be secreted somewhere in the valley, in a cache or reburial context. Who knows? Hopefully we'll find out...
Wenembau
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I have just pulled this piece from the interview with Zahi Hawass that has kind of confused me.

"In October we will continue with these two tombs, KV 64 and KV 65, and we found a tomb thatís coming from up down, and we found in the cliff a man made wall, and the bottom area to be like the entrance of a tomb, and working in the Tomb of Seti. This winter the Valley of the Kings will be so busy that no one really can believe what will happen."

Does this mean his team have possibly found 4 tombs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: