Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I meant. They would have made new images of Mary because they thought the Isis images were too pagan for their likings. But there are some images of Isis which look so uncannily like Mary that most people would easily be mistaken-these are the Isis images which are more Roman in appearance than Egyptian, and these don't have the Egyptian symbols (like the crown etc) that assure you that it is an image of Isis.
I have read that there are some Isis temples that have been converted into churches as well-didn't that happen to the main temple in Egypt? I've also heard that many of the Isis temples in the Roman empire were converted into churches too, apparently it was a way of converting pagans?
I've heard there's the ruins of an Isis temple in London. I'd love to know where it is, that's if they've even located it...
Nefertum_The_Blue_Lotus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Sokar Reply with quote

I bewg tow diifer with the prewvious assesment that sokar was not devi-like, he may have melod down in his later year but was was still quiet sinester. Sokar (Adorned One) An obscure Name in its beginnings, Sokar is depicted as a hawk-headed mummified man and was originally Lord of both darkness and death in the region of Mennefer and especially in Ankh-tawy . Sokar eventually came to be viewed as a mysterious form of Ptah, and in very late periods was triply syncretized to become Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, the penultimate lord of death, judgment and burial. The sacred boat upon which Sokar's icons were carried in procession (called henu), is one of the earliest-mentioned of such boats in the Kemetic scriptures, and may have served as a model for later sacred barques. And lets not forget that saying on an egyptian temeple about sokar and were he put his victems: A place of eternal suffering. Fror us that sounds bad, but for the egyptians somthing like that was regarded with utter terror. To an egyptian his aftewrlife was often more important to him thatn his own life.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sokar Reply with quote

Nefertum_The_Blue_Lotus wrote:
To an egyptian his aftewrlife was often more important to him thatn his own life.

I'm very sorry to only give comment to such a short piece of your message, but it struck me most, since this is the way in which most people regard Egyptian society - which doesn't have to mean that it is accurate though. Most we know about Ancient Egypt comes from the tombs they left behind, from the temples they built and the palaces they made. It isn't weird at all how we almost only get to see imagery concerning gods, death, afterlife, kings and nobility... and create the idea that Egyptians were rather obsessed with their pantheon, with their death, with their kings since this seems to form the largest part of their left-over (!) imagery and heracy. But I'm convinced that if you look closely you'll see a veritable love for life, a love for love and very sensual society and culture...

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to think the Egyptians were death obsessed as well, because of all the emphasis on the afterlife and funerals etc. And all the images and depictions of field working, hunting, parties, pleasure, (and even some of the kinkier images lol) they always say that 'these were what the Egyptians hoped they would do in the afterlife'. I always got the impression the average Egyptian thought about death since they were born!!!!
But now thanks to opinions given here, I am not so sure about that. I saw a programme on TV saying the Egyptians were so preoccopied with death because they were obsessed with life! And that all those pictures described above are actually of situations that happened in life and that people hoped would continue after death.
So, i'm confused too...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask a random question-I know i'm changing the subject...

Who was the goddess of miners? Someone mentioned there was an Egyptian goddess of miners, but I've never heard of any such deity!
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I know that one... Mad
Saw it on "Teleac" some years ago.
The miners of the Sinaï had several patron gods.
Those of the Eastern Desert had a goddess as well.
Just... Can't catch the name...

-- www.enks.net --
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello isisinacrisis!

"In the center of the Timna Valley, the Egyptian miners erected a temple to Hathor, their patron goddess."

Aset
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathor?!? You mean, like, the Hathor? Shocked I would never have thought it! I thought she was the goddess of love and joy and beauty etc...plus, i thought this mining-goddess was like a specific, lesser known deity.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought so as well, but Timna was indeed one of the most prestigious mining areas. Confused
Would make perfect sense.

-- www.enks.net --
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The mountain temple of Serabit El Khadim is dominated by the godess Hathor, 'queen of Turqoise', the protector of the miners in pharonic times. The mines themselves are located directly behind the temple complex."

"The Serabit El Khadim temple looks like a double series of steles leading to an underground chapel dedicated to the Hathor Goodness. Much of the temple's large number of sanctuaries and shrines were dedicated to Hathor, who among her many other attributes, was the patron goddess of copper and turquoise miners. It is the only temple we know of built outside mainland Egypt and mostly dedicated to Hathor."
(Source: www.touregypt.net)

Aset
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I just looked at the touregypt site as well.

Quote:
As Lady of Malachite, Lady of Turquoise, Hathor was also connected to metal. Holding spiritual dominion over the Sinai Peninsula, she was responsible for the success and well being of the mines in that area. Apparently Hathor was as intensely worshipped by male miners and soldiers, as she was by women in childbirth or young girls desirous of husbands.

It just made me wonder if the Turquoise and maybe Malachite were associated with Hathor because they were used in jewelry and make-up? Hathor being the goddess of beauty...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesh, that goddess seems to have way too many attributes! Laughing
No offence, but I always thought that she was goddess of love and beauty, music and dancing, drunkenness and sexuality. Simple as that. But I never knew miners and soldiers fell under her domain too...

can anyone find any references to her as a sky goddess? I always thought Nut was the one and only sky/star goddess, but someone said that Hathor was a sky goddess and star goddess, even a goddess of astrology?!? However I think that person got her mixed up with Nut.
Also, can anyone find references to whether or not Hathor was linked with Sirius? I'm pretty sure that only Isis and Sothis were linked to that star.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your source probably mixed up the Divine Cows. Wink
Nut is sometimes represented by a cow as well, just like Hathor.
Then there was this Mrt-wrt as well, some kind of astral creation cow.
(Don't mind me, I'm very very tired. I'd get into that one a bit later?)

I don't think any other goddess was linked to Sirius though.
And Sothis wasn't "another" goddess. Wink
Sothis is the Greek version of Sopdet.
Sopdet was how Egyptians called Sirius.

But that was merely the name of yet another manifestation of Isis.

-- www.enks.net --
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought. I never knew that Nut was a cow goddess...makes sense though because where I read about Hathor, they described a 'cow covered with stars' which does sound more like a bovine version of Nut.
dingirfecho
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
Here's a rather 'complete' list of gods.
The attributes and descriptions are sometimes a bit 'off' but it gives a nice database for the names already.

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/egyptian-mythology.php?_gods-list

Notice the link to EgyptianDreams at the right. Cool

Good Stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: