Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefertum_The_Blue_Lotus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Death Obsessed Reply with quote

Believe me, i'm the last person who whould ever say the egyptians were completly obsesed with death (in fact I hate when people say that), I should have worded my pervious statment defferntly. What I mean is this: None can denie that the afterlife wasimportant to theegyptians, so important in fact that some would volenterly die if it would garentee there place there.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of people voluntarily dying to get to the afterlife...
I've heard somewhere, not sure if this is true, but apparently commiting suicide was not reccomended for the Egyptians, because if you kill yourself, you destroy your ba and/or your ka, or your ba/ka will be lost in the duat for eternity, and therefore you will not enter the afterlife. It would be nice if someone could verify this for me...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. When I said 'verify this for me' I didn't mean it literally... Wink Embarassed Laughing
I just meant if someone could check if that statement was true. Don't want anyone here topping themselves because of me Rolling Eyes
Nefertiri
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about Sekhemet? i read she was the egyptian goddess of war with the head of a lion, but she went on a "killing spree" as i like to call it and drank the blood of humans. then Re gave her alcohol in some sort of red juice that made her go to sleep. i think she was transformed into Bastet, but i'm not sure about that part.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
I've heard somewhere, not sure if this is true, but apparently commiting suicide was not reccomended for the Egyptians...

I know of no proscriptions against suicide in ancient Egypt, isisinacrisis. We all bandy about with the phrapse "death is just a transition," but this was a solid, very real belief to the ancient Egyptians. Suicide was an acceptable means of death if one were discraced, for instance, or shamed, or accused of cowardice. We know from records that royals and nobles and other powerful individuals were given the option of suicide over execution if they had committed some horrible capital crime.

What mattered most was what your ba would encounter in the Hall of the Two Truths, when your heart was weighed against the feather of maat. It didn't matter how you died--it mattered how you had lived.

Well, the obvious exception would be for a criminal executed by the state. Whichever method of execution was chosen, it would result in the destruction of the physical body, and...well, no afterlife for you, period!

Nefertiri wrote:
Quote:
what about Sekhemet? i read she was the egyptian goddess of war with the head of a lion, but she went on a "killing spree" as i like to call it and drank the blood of humans. then Re gave her alcohol in some sort of red juice that made her go to sleep. i think she was transformed into Bastet, but i'm not sure about that part.

You're close, but let me help you out here. Sekhmet and Bastet were two separate and distinct goddesses. They're often closely compared because both were feline deities, one the destroyer and the other the protector, but they were not combined.

Sekhmet was also closely associated with Hathor, as both were considered the Eye (of Re). The story you mentioned is a popularly known Egyptian myth, sometimes with variations. Sometimes it's presented as Hathor being transformed into Sekhmet, and sometimes it's Sekhmet all on her own.

Anyway, as the story goes, a time came when the people conspired against Re and determined no longer to worship him. Re grew furious and called together his Council, who decided to send Sekhmet to punish mankind. Sekhmet came to mankind and proceeded to slaughter the people--she could kill them as any lioness can, or she could spread pestilence and disease by will alone. This is how she came to be called the Destroyer.

Only she was much too good in this role. The gods grew concerned at the carnage taking place and knew that Sekhmet must be stopped, or surely all mankind would be killed. The gods knew that Sekhmet had developed a real taste for human blood, so they called on the priests of Heliopolis (the cult center of Re, whose scant ruins lie beneath a suburb of modern Cairo) to carry out the plan. They spread beer all over the fields and died it red with ochre so it would resemble blood. Sekhmet fell for it. She lapped up all of the "blood," grew seriously drunk, and staggered off to her temple to sleep it off.

Thus, mankind was saved! Remember that the next time you hoist a brew.

The funny thing to me is, Sekhmet the Destroyer went on to become one of the premier patrons of doctors. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: