Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Assyrians attack Memphis (Egypt) ca 645 BC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: The Assyrians attack Memphis (Egypt) ca 645 BC Reply with quote

Due to his interest in the larger middle east kmt sesh has a forum which includes discussions about Mesopotamia, Anatolia, etc. called The Sacred Land
These cultures are not really the topic of discussion here at Egyptian Dreams but the cultures meet. And I wanted to share this post with the rest of you here

I just got a book called "Lost Cities of the Ancient World".
One of the sections is about Nineveh (in presnt day Iraq).

There were several palace complexes there.
The North palace from Kuyunjik had an alabaster relief depicting the siege of Memphis. There is a sizable photograph of this scene.

At the bottom we see the river Nile. It is shown full of fish.
Above the nile is what seems to be a stretch of land and behind that we see the fortified walls of Memphis.

The scene is a fairly typical siege scene. There are archers at the top of the walls. The Assyrians have ladders up against the walls and men with shields are shown scaling the ladders. On the ground outside we see archers standing behind some defensive structure aiming at the people in the city.

A coupleof individuals are shown as falling from the walls. It looks like one soldier at the top of the ladder is actually throwing down an egyptian.

But really interesting to me is the scene that flows from the city gates. A line of prisoners is lead from the city down to the river.

It looks like 3 bound nubians (with the feather in their hair), the 3 more nubians but these are dressed in long cloaks and are not bound. They appear to each be carrrying a bag of some kind. I wonder if these could be the wives of Taharqa? They are not shown with any jewelry or other insignia that identifies them. They could also be higher ranking Nubian nobles.

These three people are followed by an Assyrian holding a stick.
Behind him are 4 more Nubian soldiers, 3 with feathers. These 4 have their hands tied behind their backs and thier feet shackled. Behind them another Assyrian. This one with a raised sword.
Then 5 more men. No feathers in thair hair and only the first has both hands and feet bound. The others do have their hands bound.
At the end of this procession we see 2 Assyrian soldiers who hold up the heads of 3 egyptians/nubians they must have just decapitated.

At the bottom on the right is a rather interesting scene showing 3 men with provisions, a donkey with a pack on its back with 2 children on it. Behind them a man with a pack on his shoulder, a man carrying a child, then possibly 2 women and behind them 2 more men.
I'm not sure what to make of them. Army followers carrying provisions for the soldiers? Or are they citizens of Memphis leaving town?
The men at the front are shown with curled hair and beards which do not look very egyptian to me. The clothing of the men different from the assyrians but does seem to resemble the "kilts" worn by the nubian soldiers.
Harsiese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just registered!! Very Happy

I am interested on the relations of Egypt with the East during the Third Intermediate Period (Shoshenk I, Taharqa, 'So' King of Egypt, Esarhaddon, Assurbanipal...)

Thank you for the post

Harsiese
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Harsiese Very Happy

Do you have the book "The Third Intermediate Period" by Kenneth kitchen? That's a pretty good resource for that time period. Not too expensive either if I remember correctly.
Harsiese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do!!!... and I have to say that it is a great book... especially because of the references. kitchen usually gives references for most things he writes.

What I can say is that I love that book Embarassed

Actually, my nick comes from that book, Harsiese was in my opinion a main character in the 'drama' of the Third Intermediate Period... I think that the TIP started with him (and not before)... but this is only an opinion (and this is not the topic).

Harsiese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: