Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2500 year old artifact returned to Egypt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luther
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: 2500 year old artifact returned to Egypt Reply with quote

CAIRO, Egypt: Egypt said Monday that it retrieved a 2,500-year-old limestone relief from London after its sale was blocked by Bonhams auction house there because it had been looted from a pharaoh's tomb.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/30/africa/ME-GEN-Egypt-Antiquities.php

Astounding that someone thought they could just auction something like this off Shocked
Auletes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astounding indeed. scratch (and a very good excus yo use 1 of this great emoticons Very Happy )
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article, that. Wink

Hats off to Bonhams for blocking the sale. That was the right thing to do. It sets the right example for other auction houses to follow because goodness knows how many stolen artifacts are circulating out there at any one time.

Visit my blog!
luther
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Interesting article, that. Wink

Hats off to Bonhams for blocking the sale. That was the right thing to do. It sets the right example for other auction houses to follow because goodness knows how many stolen artifacts are circulating out there at any one time.

Sorry to be contrary to what you say, but I was thinking it a bit odd that Bonhams had actually gone as far as to list it for sale before someone who knew what they were looking at noticed it. What if they hadn't seen it? Presumably it was deemed okay initially to include such an important artifact in a public auction...

A spokesman for Bonhams auction house in London confirmed that the relief had been listed for sale in May, but was withdrawn after experts discovered it had been looted.
"We were alerted by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (in New York) that this item had apparently been seen in a tomb that someone at the Met had been involved in the excavation of."

I'd say hats off to the person at The Metropolitan Museum of Art for recognising it from all those decades ago when he/she first saw it, and then setting the alarm bells ringing. You can just imagine this person, they've been privileged enough to be involved in an Egyptian excavation and then it gets looted. I'll bet they swore that for the rest of their life they'd be on the lookout for the stolen artifacts to re-appear. Almost 40 years later - bingo! I doubt Bonhams had much choice in the matter at that point.

Although I did go some way to understanding why these things can still appear at auction when I happened to read this passage in a 1912 travelogue;

'Attached to the (Cairo) Museum is a Salle de Vente, where they sell superfluous specimens of the antiquities, and anything you buy there is guaranteed genuine'
Superfluous!!!! Laughing
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is very great, and the complicity of many apparently 'respectable' institutions in obtaining looted antiquities is well-documented.

Dr. David Gill, who has devoted a great deal of attention to these matters, runs a blog at

http://lootingmatters.blogspot.com/

angry7
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the photo of it btw:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_jDDqaelynCk/SGkZ8sf8bZI/AAAAAAAAAZY/xt92Tdtn7fU/s1600-h/bonhams_egypterelief.jpg
Conorp

Photos And Information about Egyptian objects in Australia

Pompeii news and photos
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luther wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to be contrary to what you say, but I was thinking it a bit odd that Bonhams had actually gone as far as to list it for sale before someone who knew what they were looking at noticed it. What if they hadn't seen it?

You're right, luther. It could've gone terribly wrong had the truth not come out. My point was just that the right thing was done when they realized what the situation was.

Many Egyptian antiquities are put up for sale in different markets throughout the world. Museums even do this. Usually it's on the up-and-up but who knows how many stolen antiquities have changed hands this way?

Visit my blog!
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, and you can also look at this problem throughout history. It has been happening since the time of the Pharaohs, themselves. Theives looting the tombs, presumably to sell the items off. This is not something new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: