Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doppelgängers?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Forum Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Doppelgängers? Reply with quote

Is it possible to enter the ED forum with the same e-mail address but a secondary profile? For instance, would it be possible for Daughter of Seti to write occasional posts under the name of her cat, Qetesh?

I wouldn’t like to try this as an experiment without asking first, because the moderators might see it as rather sinister behaviour, and in any case I have no reason to do it.

However, I do notice from the memberlist that the name of at least one subscriber seems to occur twice, with and without a full stop, and I have occasionally wondered if there were other cases, such as members of the same family to using the same e-mail address to post under a variety of names.

Idea
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of php boards and as an Admin, you can see the IP addresses of the members as well as their email addresses. As far as I know; it isn't possible to have more than one username with the exact same email address. I can't be certain though because I've never tried it.

This is an interesting topic in that recently, my 13 year old daughter and I, left a Native American board because we were accused of being the same person! Because my daughter is mature in her outlook, the Admin told everyone on the board that she is me. Her evidence was that we share the same IP address. Of course we do; we're part of a family of the same house! It was hurtful that the Admin should do that as it was untrue but she lost quite a few members over it.

I'm sure Kevin will be able to clear it up for you though Wink
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's considered bad form to sign in under different names. Unless you make clear to the people on the board they are talking to one and the same person.

The IP addresses are not very strong evidence for identity. It's not just more than one person using the same computer - I've seen that on Egyptian Dreams - there are also some routers that can give false identifications.

If I suspect someone is coming in under mutliple names, I usually send them a PM and ask about it.

Hopefully Kevin will join in and make his opinions known. He pretty much has the last word on these kind of things Very Happy
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing up as multiple users isn't something I would encourage. Why would you need to sign up as another person anyway? It could potentially be abused by someone wanted to start an argument or flame war with somebody, with them having signed up under a different persona so as not to be associated with their 'main' profile. This has happened several times in the past on another board I run and caused no end of trouble.

Unless you can convince me it is absolutely necessary, e.g. two household members with the same interest wanting to sign up, then I will probably not allow it.

And no, I don't think you can have two profiles with the same email address.
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have witnessed that happening, Kevin. There was a guy who craved attention and had 3 different accounts (he thought we didn't know this) and he would answer his other posts under one of his aliases. I watched him do it one day. I agree with you. I don't see the point either.

There is a possibility that my daughter will want to join ED but if she does express a wish; I'll give you her information first and let you know who she is, so you'd know. I think that's only fair. Wink
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Khuy-n-inpw's 'Doppelgänger'!

pharaohlol

Aset
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the more correct name for what I have called a doppelgänger is actually 'sockpuppet.'

There's an interesting Wikipedia article on this and other weird internet phenomena such as 'trolling' and 'astroturfing'.

smurf
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a simple misunderstanding, I think. Embarassed
I used the word "Doppelgänger" in its original meaning (in German) double (noun, literally "double walker"), because You wrote it correct with diacritic Umlaut.
Etymology: German Doppelgänger, from doppel = double and gänger = goer:
- a ghostly counterpart of a living person
- double
- a person who has the same name as another
I was amused to see the hieroglyphic inscription xwy! Smile

Aset
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aset wrote:
It is a simple misunderstanding, I think. Embarassed

Sleep and Misunderstanding - my Theme For The Week exactly!

“El Sueño de la Razon Produce Monstruos,” said Goya. “The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters.”

http://www.museum.cornell.edu/HFJ/handbook/hb128.html

At the beginning of ‘The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant’, however, the part of Khuy-n-inpw’s name which means ‘protected by’ is given by the standard circular symbol for x (also shown in Aset's picture of the sleeper, Khuy) but followed by glyph D43 (forearm with flail), the little curly-whirly thing (Z7) and then the Y1 papyrus scroll determinative for abstract concepts.

I don’t think this can be the same name, can it, Aset?

Idea
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm locking this thread as it has wandered from the original question, which was answered.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Forum Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: