Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptain Dreams photobucket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster who was banned had it coming, be sure of that. It rarely happens, so when it does, you can be sure it's a last resort. [...]'s posts were little more than link farms and almost always lacked relevant content. It got so bad that some quality posters here were expressing a desire to leave because of this one poster. That's why it was serious.

LOL "Dead weight" seems harsh? All it means is (from my little digital dictionary) "the weight of an inert person or thing." There's nothing offensive about it, and I apply it to the sort of people anneke referenced. All large internet forums have "inert" posters.

As for conorp's suggestion, I rather like it. The interest would have to be there, so any poster could get it going. I doubt I'd take part because I already pay Photobucket to keep expanded storage space, and that's all I need for uploading my own photos.

But by all means, conorp, go ahead and get the ball rolling. The idea might well catch on. You never know. Smile

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator's note: I removed the name of the person discussed from above posts. They are not here anymore to present their side. It's not appropriate to mention banned members and discuss them in a public forum such as this.
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a friendlier note, I don’t think the phrase ‘dead weight’ carries any negative connotations either.

There are statistical curves that describe very accurately the kind of pattern typical of contributions to an internet discussion forum, and the existence of large numbers of ‘silent’ members is entirely predictable.

Smile
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking as someone who perhaps lurks and reads more than posts....I think perhaps the reason why I don't post anything of much interest is mainly because I don't have much of interest to say... Embarassed I notice that most of the people here are well read and have several Masters Degrees.
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhesenamun wrote:
Talking as someone who perhaps lurks and reads more than posts....I think perhaps the reason why I don't post anything of much interest is mainly because I don't have much of interest to say... Embarassed I notice that most of the people here are well read and have several Masters Degrees.

I agree with Ankhesenamun on this. Some of us are here to learn, and therefore may not have much of interest to say. That doesn't mean that as we become more informed, that we won't feel better qualified to join in discussions. Smile
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board should (and I’m certain will) never become ‘monochrome’.

Everyone’s posts will have an inherent interest value to those who can appreciate them. It’s like an Egyptological newspaper or magazine. No one is obliged to read everything, and as a long-deceased maiden aunt once told me, “when you don’t know what to say, ask a question!”

I’m an avid reader of the EEF list, but I almost never post there, because even though they warmly welcome amateurs, I realise that their level is far above mine. The EEF advises its members to visualise standing up and addressing an informal seminar, at which distinguished Egyptologists are present. It’s good advice, but here at ED, the atmosphere is much more relaxed. People blurt out all sorts of things, and this is desirable, because a silent board is a dead one.

On the other hand, I’m not sure some of us have fully grasped the power of the internet. A forum is like a noticeboard on the moon, visible to anyone with the relatively inexpensive technology to read it. In theory, our posts can be read by any of the billions of human beings on this planet (a much wider readership than the most popular daily newspapers) whereas in practice, thankfully, they tend to be ignored.

For this reason, I’ve come to realise that it is literally impossible to please everyone. Even if you’re as gentle and self-effacing as St. Clare or St. Francis of Assisi, there’ll be some crotchety pope out there who equates the poverty of Christ’s apostles with diabolical heresy. The old dictum of ‘publish and be damned’ may need revising. Now we are all damned, because we’re all publishing!

Smile
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First step
Ok I have made a photobucket for all the photos.
The login details are below.
Please when uploading your photos create a new sub folder of the location of where the photos are taken.

Second Step
I plan to make a website out of all this give detailed information on each photo.

Here are the the details:
Username: egyptiandreams
Password: password
Album link: http://s523.photobucket.com/albums/w360/egyptiandreams/

Conorp

Photos And Information about Egyptian objects in Australia

Pompeii news and photos
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s another mathematical idea, which relates more to your purpose, cornorp.

The set of those able and willing to post photographs is not necessarily congruent with the set of ‘active’ members! In other words, some of the best photographic work on this site was provided a fairly long time ago by members who are now ‘dormant’.

Look, for instance, at the imperishable contributions by carla, Ochytoe and others under Mastaba of Unas-Ankh, currently on page 2 of Pyramids, Tombs and Monuments. There is so much there to study and enjoy that I think I’m going to be doing some humble, silent reading for a while!

Rolling Eyes
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conorp wrote:
Quote:
Ok I have made a photobucket for all the photos.
The login details are below.
Please when uploading your photos create a new sub folder of the location of where the photos are taken.

I'm glad you decided to go through with it, conorp. I'd be happy to upload some of my photos to help get things rolling. I'm at work now so I'd best wait till I get home to do that.

"No, Mr. Boss, I don't want to be doing my job right now. I want to play with Photobucket!" Laughing

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "subfolder." By "location" I'm sure you mean a specific museum or place in Egypt. Do you mean a separate sub-account of, say, the Field Museum or British Museum and the like?

Khuy-n-inpw wrote:
Quote:
Look, for instance, at the imperishable contributions by carla, Ochytoe and others under Mastaba of Unas-Ankh...

Those are wonderful photos of carla's and Ochytoe's! Carla started that discussion to help me gain a better understanding of a specific mastaba in the Unis pyramid complex, and she and Ochytoe posted lots of fine images. LOL I downloaded every one of them for my own use.

Still, we can't help who's active at one moment and not the next. Carla comes and goes and always shares beautiful photos. We've all benefited from them. Next time she's around, if she wants to contribute photos to the ED Photobucket account, that's fine. Wink

Visit my blog!
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are wonderful photos of carla's and Ochytoe's! Carla started that discussion to help me gain a better understanding of a specific mastaba in the Unis pyramid complex, and she and Ochytoe posted lots of fine images. LOL I downloaded every one of them for my own use.

I meant Add a new album

Also, i have uploaded a test photo.

Pompeii news and photos
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a few myself. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it isn't such a good idea Crying or Very sad

Pompeii news and photos
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might work better as a sticky-post that remains visible all the time. You could post it yourself and list the I.D., password, and other conditions of participation.

It may never be a heavily used feature, but some posters might find it useful. You never know. Wink

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
It might work better as a sticky-post that remains visible all the time. You could post it yourself and list the I.D., password, and other conditions of participation.

Members here can't make a post into a sticky; you have to do that as a Modorator (or Anneke or Kevin). Smile

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

done Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: