Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weather related chit chat :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: weather related chit chat :) Reply with quote

Moderator's note: This used to be part of a forum help thread. The split is right after Kevin's announcement he changed the link color.

Anneke

I remember seeing Villamartin. We lived in Javea for a while.

You're right about the weather in the UK, Kevin. It's been a terrible summer for weather. We need some of this...

Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ What's that? Confused

Wink
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:

I was in a place called Villamartin, on the East coast near Allicante. We have a friend who has an apartment and lets us use it now and then Smile. The weather was very warm but humid, especially at night. One night I was going to sleep on the sun deck as it was too warm in the room but when I went up and got on one of the sun loungers it was soaking wet with the humidity. So much for sleeping under the stars. We flew back on the 1st Sept. and the weather in the UK has been bloody awful. Hey ho.

My sister mentioned that they had to turn on the airconditioner on a couple of nights. Hope you had fun anyway. Very Happy

Javea - the authentic spelling ...
I found some of the double signs there (Spanish and Catalan if I remember) rather interesting. Definitely had to sound some of them out Shocked
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's that?

Sunshine Wink

Quote:
Javea - the authentic spelling ...
I found some of the double signs there (Spanish and Catalan if I remember) rather interesting. Definitely had to sound some of them out

Yes. We've had to do that with Javea quite a bit! Some of our friends need us to break it down to HAV-EE-AH for them to get to grips with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're right about the weather in the UK, Kevin. It's been a terrible summer for weather. We need some of this...

Oh, so you Brits haven't seen the sun lately either, eh? Here in Chicago, as I'm writing this, it's been raining steadily for the last twenty-plus hours. And more is supposed to come.

On the plus side, my gills are growing in nicely. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha rain! We've had loads of that too. Floods too Rolling Eyes
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Ankhesenamun! I have a friend in Wales, and it sounds like you've had the same weather as us here in Cornwall. Yesterday and today (especially today) are glorious sunshine at last though. Don't know how long this will last but I'm sure making the most of it in the garden. So much work to be done Smile
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Here in Chicago, as I'm writing this, it's been raining steadily for the last twenty-plus hours. And more is supposed to come.

On the plus side, my gills are growing in nicely. Very Happy

Very Happy In St Louis we are right now experiencing the remnants of Hurricane Ike. It's only a tropical depression right now and seems to be moving much faster then what we saw in Texas.
It's raining steadily right now and it's quite windy, but that's it. If we can avoid flooding we should be fine.

I do think the storm is heading to Chicago though. Not good considering the fact that your ground is saturated as it is and there were already reports of flooding. Travel with a snorkel and swimming trunks in your car at all time? Smile
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do think the storm is heading to Chicago though. Not good considering the fact that your ground is saturated as it is and there were already reports of flooding. Travel with a snorkel and swimming trunks in your car at all time? Smile

The weather forecasters here in the city are saying the brunt of what Ike's sending this way will miss Chicago. They're saying we will be dry by tomorrow. Yes, they're saying that, but I'll believe it when I see it. Three solid days of rain is depressing enough.

My sister is out of town so I went over there this morning to check on her cats and house. I was getting quite worried when I found that the police had closed off all streets to her neighborhood, from every direction. I had to park over two blocks away and walk in. I was getting more worried as I slogged through ankle-deep water for the first block, but it was more or less dry after that. That was a relief. I pictured the cats doing laps in the basement, chasing their floating chow. Luckily all I found was a dry house and two dry cats with an appetite. They even seemed happy to see me, especially when I opened up their food. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you and your sister are doing well.

We have no problem here, but one of my friends called me this afternoon and told me it was a close call at her house. The roads and yard were all under water and the water had made it all the way up to her house. Shocked She figured that another 30 minutes or so of rain and the basement would have flooded.

She figured nearby construction had clogged up some drain. They have never had this big of a problem before in that area. Her husband was ticked off enough that he was muttering about who he was going to sue ...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report that it's finally drying up here in Chicago.

I have ceased construction of my ark and am returning the pairs of animals to the local zoos. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

I have ceased construction of my ark and am returning the pairs of animals to the local zoos. Very Happy

LOL Except those two spiders? You're keeping those a while longer, right?

Glad to hear it's drying up though.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL Except those two spiders? You're keeping those a while longer, right?

Laughing Are you kidding? This is my ark we're talking about. There will be no spiders on my ark. In fact, I gave all of the spiders little cement boots to make sure the flood would dispatch them!

Alas, the flood didn't finish its work. The spiders remain. They're just a lot slower now with their little cement boots, but that works for me, too. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Little cement boots? Is this where your Chicago connection surfaces?

I'm now picturing mob related guys named Vinnie, Vito and Tony outfitting all their multi legged victims with tiny cement boots. Taunting them all the way off course. "Try climbing that web now you punk. Not so tough after all ey?"
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I think this thread needs to be split off and moved to the general section ... Maybe I will have time later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: