Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Festival of drunkenness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Festival of drunkenness Reply with quote

On the discovery channel there was a program called "Scandals of the Classical World: Ancient Egypt" (Or something like that)

One topic was the festival of drunkenness. There were a couple of statements that had me confused.

1. The festival was said to have been started under Hatshepsut.
2. The festival was dedicated to the goddess Mut and the place where it was held seems to be the Mut temple in Karnak
3. The idea was that Mut as the daughter of Re was sent to punish mankind and that getting the goddess drunk was the means used to safe mankind from her wrath.

Some questions:
I assume that inscriptions connect Hatshepsut to this festival? For how long did they maintain this? Throughout the New Kingdom?

I thought Hathor or Sakhmet was the godess sent down to punish mankind? Are Mut and Hathor and or Sakhmet often identified? I thought Mut was not connected to these godesses?

Are there other more or less public festivals known where the lower classes were trying to recreate some part of their mythology? Or was this festival not open to the lower ranking people? Would trying to connect with a deity be more likely to be the privilege of maybe the priesthood?

LOL It sounded from the descriptions like a drunken orgy.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussions and information can be found in the EEF archives Novembre 2006, News 388, New 487
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the little I've been able to find, it would appear that drunkeness was featured in several festivals, most often associated with lioness goddesses, and seem to occur about the time of the return of the inundation. These also had links to the myth cycle The Eye of Re/ Return of the Distant Goddess.

Betsy Bryan from Johns Hopkins did the digging at the Mut Precinct, Herodotus mentions the large quantities of wine imbibed at Bastet's festival, Sekhmet and Hathor both had festivals involving drunkeness, and so did Tefnut in Upper egypt. In fact, Tefnut's festival was so loud and raucus that priests in neighboring districts complained that the noise was distracting them from their own devotions!

Here's an URL for the news story about Bryan's research; it contains a lovely line drawing by her of scenes from the Mut festival:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475319/

I think I have a few articles that apply; shall I email them to you? (They're not from JStor)
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Very Happy Since I'm working on my master thesis and it is about Sekhmet and her possible relationship with politics and military on ancient Egypt, aspects of these festivals might be pertinent for my investigation. Could you send those articles to me as well Kat? I would be very grateful Smile
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. The idea was that Mut as the daughter of Re was sent to punish mankind and that getting the goddess drunk was the means used to safe mankind from her wrath.

This story sounds more like the story of Sakmet and Re who was ruler. Sakmet is sent to punish mankind and goes out hunting and eating humans. Thoth is brought to devise a plan to bring her back to her father's side and rule with him. They get her drunk and then bring her back, where she accepts her rulership. This story is found in Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green.

Mut is the vulture mother goddess, or griffen, and revered as such, as a motherly figure.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What modern scholars call the “Myth of the Heavenly Cow” or also “The Destruction of Mankind” is a text we know as part from the so-called "Book of the Heavenly Cow". This book we find in KV 62 (on the inside of the outermost of the four gilded shrines) and in KV 17, 7, 11 & 9 (on different walls). Two late NK papyri found at Deir el-Medina (today Egyptian Museum of Turin) preserved parts of the book. The version in the tomb of KV 17 - Sety I is the most complete.

Into this myth elements from the so-called "Augensagen" have been integrated. These tales are about the distant goddess and her return to Egypt. This distant goddess is the daughter of Ra, his eye. She is dwelling, angered and disputed with her father, in the south (the apparent displacement of the sun's orbit in winter to the south?).

"Daughter of Ra" or "Eye of Ra" can be the title of different goddesses. Next to Hathor and Sachmet lead him also Tefnut, Bastet etc., and also Mut. The goddess Mut already bore the name "Weret Hekau" in the 11th Dynasty, which refers also to the sun eye and the uraeus serpent.

The appeased goddess returning to her father Ra evokes the episode of the return of the distant goddess, which was yearly celebrated in the Festivals of Drunkenness in different temples all over Egypt. Alexandra von Lieven : "... The idea was that you had to pacify the Dangerous Goddess and you could do this by getting her and yourself drunk, by making music and, apparently, by having sex in a setting outside normal marital or like relations. ..." (EEF - 02.11.2006).

The topic "Augensagen" is very complex. It is already difficult to express myself in German halfway comprehensibly about it ... But perhaps Neseret can correct any mistakes or misunderstandings? If I remember rightly, somewhere here in the forum already a longer contribution from her exist? But I could not find ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: