Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hieroglyphic symbol of love
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limetothelight
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also, can anyone recommend an actual font i can download that would be accurate? i found 2 on dafont.com but not sure how accurate they are.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limetothelight wrote:
so, can someone show me what an accurate depiction of the word love (as a VERB) would appear in hieroglyphics??

If you Google Hieroglyphs.net, you'll find the answer there in the dictionary. The forum won't let me leave the link, unfortunately.

Have you tried JSesh to download hieroglyphs? Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aset
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limetothelight wrote:
and also, can anyone recommend an actual font i can download that would be accurate? i found 2 on dafont.com but not sure how accurate they are.

Aside from being an avid Egyptophile I am by profession a graphic designer, and type styles are a big thing for me. Personally I try to avoid downloading free fonts from the internet because a lot of them are unsafe. They might look nice, but they could create problems for your system. It's not that the designers of these fonts are malicious; they often simply don't know how to design fonts that are safe and reliable for most machines.

It also matters whether you're using a Mac or PC. The best-class fonts are generally for Macs, the industry standard for the design world, but there are plenty of options for PCs, too.

Daughter_Of_SETI mentioned JSesh, which is pretty good stuff--and free. I sometimes use it for creating on-the-fly hieroglyphic inscriptions, but it's a bit clumsy to use.

I'm probably more into type than most people, so I went all out and logged on to one of the most reliable suppliers on the internet: Linguist's Software. They offer type fonts for practically any language you can think of, modern or ancient. Here's their page for Egyptian hieroglyphs, in both Mac and PC versions. I know it's a bit pricy but it's one of the most complete set of hieroglyphs on the market, and it's stable and reliable stuff. When I'm creating activities or projects for the museum's Egyptian exhibit, this is the hieroglyphic font I use. Smile

Visit my blog!
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
limetothelight wrote:

<snip>
Daughter_Of_SETI mentioned JSesh, which is pretty good stuff--and free. I sometimes use it for creating on-the-fly hieroglyphic inscriptions, but it's a bit clumsy to use.

I'm probably more into type than most people, so I went all out and logged on to one of the most reliable suppliers on the internet: Linguist's Software. They offer type fonts for practically any language you can think of, modern or ancient. Here's their page for Egyptian hieroglyphs, in both Mac and PC versions. I know it's a bit pricy but it's one of the most complete set of hieroglyphs on the market, and it's stable and reliable stuff. When I'm creating activities or projects for the museum's Egyptian exhibit, this is the hieroglyphic font I use. Smile

The hieroglyph programs used by Egyptologists are usually one of the following:

For Windows:

WinGlyph Basic (For Students and Non-Professionals; 850 Gardiner signs) - Retail

WinGlyphPro (For Professional Research; over 6900 Gardiner signs (Basic and Extended)) - Retail

GlyphoText (For laypersons and professionals, with 3500 Gardiner signs) Retail

InScribe 2008 - (For laypersons and professionals, this software now has 3200 glyphs) Retail

For Apple Macintosh:

MacScribe - One of the few hiero programs for the Mac, MacScribe has a 800-sign PostScript font, in two weights, with an additional 6000-sign font can be purchased separately,and in particular Ptolemaic signs. Although designed mainly for PostScript printers (Laser printers and phototypesetting machines), it works with Quickdraw inkjet printers. Retail

Multiplatforms:

TKSESH - Workable on Windows, Linux and Macintosh, the core of TKSESH is a hieroglyphic editor which understands "Manuel de codage" encodings. Still in the experimental stages, TKSESH has good results, once you have worked out the style of glyph construction. At present, this program is offered without charge.

VisualGlyph - a new form of hieroglyphic software, VisualGlyph has many of the same features as the above software programs in rendering hieroglyphs, but also as the added ability to rotate texts (important for rendering certain texts on, say, bowls and round offering tables); mirror texts, etc., which are impressive features. At present, it offers 2500 glyphs. GŁnther Lapp, the creator of the program, had a beta version of V. 2.0 (as of 2005) available for free, by e-mailing him at g.lapp@orientverlag.ch. Please note this may in 2009 have to be purchased.

Most require knowledge of Manuel de Codage. Some programs can have fairly intricate coding procedures, but these are picked up with practice.

The main difference between these programs and various "hieroglyph fonts" is that you can place the glyphs in the proper position, which means "stacking" glyphs atop one another, showing multiples via 'grouping' - all of which make glyphs into coherent words. All of these programs have functions for creating cartouches, creating hybrid glyphs through the Editing function, creating glyphs in both black and red (which is important for detailing rubric or "dangerous" texts). Some include reference materials such as kingslists, which means you can check a king's throne name glyphs (and/or enter a king's name into your work by clicking a single button).

Transliteration fonts can be acquired online, usually under the names of Transliteration or Transliteration CG Times. Both are True Type fonts, but to use them also requires knowledge of Manuel de Codage.

For Egyptologists, where we must enter glyphs, often whole texts, as well as transliteration into articles, dissertations, books, and other publications, these programs are invaluable.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
nightnurse
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: love symbol the verb Reply with quote

Aset wrote:

Aset

Please I need help with this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: