Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Napoleon's Oracle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Napoleon's Oracle Reply with quote

At bookstores I have found "Napoleon's Oracle" made into a book where anyone can use the oracle to answer one of the 32 questions.

I think it said that Napoleon actually consulted the oracle for advice and that it was always accurate for him. I've always been skeptic as to how reliable it actually is, although I admit I have looked inside it more than once Smile

Does anyone have more information on his Oracle?
father of the orphan, husband of the widow...
though the servant offends him, he is merciful
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of it.

Considering his ultimate fate it didn't do much for him, accurate or not Very Happy
Is the oracle supposed to be based on something Egyptian?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled the name and came up with this description.
Quote:
Napoleon’s Oracle was purportedly found as a papyrus roll in an Egyptian tomb during the French invasion of Alexandria and Cairo, Egypt, in 1798-1799. It was apparently one of Napoleon’s most prized possessions. He had it translated into French, then into High German for greater secrecy, and it travelled with him everywhere. It is said that Napoleon relied upon the oracle for many years, and yet rejected its counsel when his pride and ambition became overwhelming – his downfall followed soon afterwards.

Napoleon’s Oracle was first published in Europe in 1835 and was a publishing phenomenon of its time - it stayed in print throughout the entire 19th century. It contains a set of questions, covering all aspects of life, from marriage to inheritance, travel to prosperity, with interpretations and guidance on the reader’s answers. The Oracle shows certain similarities with other ancient systems of fortune-telling, such as the I Ching. These methods of divination function like a computer. The number of possible answers to the Oracle - 1024 - is the number of bytes in the kilobyte used by modern programmers. It is also possible that dominoes developed from the dot patterns that the reader constructs when using the Oracle - sets of dominoes have been found in Pharaoh’s tombs. This edition has been specially updated and is set out in vintage style close to the original.

I know this doesn't help you Raia, and sorry about that.
Thought that we might be of more help if we knew a bit more. Very Happy
Raia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anyway, and now more people can learn about it Very Happy
father of the orphan, husband of the widow...
though the servant offends him, he is merciful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: