Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed on Nefertiti
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several sites that show the cartouche of Nefertiti. Those that Montuhotep88 posted are among the best.
As far as I know, though, there is no cartouche on the bust.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
There are several sites that show the cartouche of Nefertiti. Those that Montuhotep88 posted are among the best.

Here is one on a original piece from the reconstructed sarcophagus of Echnaton :

( Cairo, Egyptian Museum, Garden - 11-04-2008 )

Greetings, Lutz.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
This is what I thought, therefore could the bust be Neferneferuaten or Ankhesenpaaten Idea It looks like a finished product, why was it still in the sculptor workshop Question
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard. wrote:
Osiris II wrote:
This is what I thought, therefore could the bust be Neferneferuaten or Ankhesenpaaten Idea It looks like a finished product, why was it still in the sculptor workshop Question

There is no name on the bust, thats right. But the typical blue crown identifies here unquestionably.

Next to the bust of Nefertiti there was one in the same scale from Echnaton, but totally destroyed. Some scientist believe they were models for the workers at the workshop of Thutmosis.

Also the missing eye points to this direction. Borchard searched for it but did not find. Investigations of the bust some years ago have shown that it never were inserted (no remains of an adhesive).

Greetings, Lutz.
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Some scientist believe they were models for the workers at the workshop of Thutmosis.

Also the missing eye points to this direction. Borchard searched for it but did not find. Investigations of the bust some years ago have shown that it never were inserted (no remains of an adhesive).

When I first heard this idea, I was scandalized. "Surely," I thought, "such an obvious masterpiece must be something more than just a model or some sort of teaching aid!" But the more I've read about it, the more logical this is. They couldn't have had the royals sit for portrait after portrait and statue after statue... with all the times Akhenaten and Nefertiti appeared in art, they would have had time for little else! Ergo, there must have been some 'officially-approved' image (or images) that would serve as the Vorlage for all of the rest. The Berlin Nefertiti bust fits nicely into that scenario.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: