Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merry Horusmas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EtuMalku
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Merry Horusmas Reply with quote

December 25 - birthdate of Horus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLD59fK_Iw
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (typically DEC-21).
Karaum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Uaka Festival Reply with quote

Gerald Massey (1907) "It has often been a matter of wonderment why the birthday of the Son of God on earth should be celebrated as a festival of unlimited gorging and guzzling. The explanation is that the feast of Christmas Day is a survival of the ancient Uaka festival, with which the rebirth of the Nilotic year was celebrated with uproarious revellings and rejoicings, as the festival of returning food and drink. It was at once the natal-day of the Nile, and of the Messu or Messianic child under his various names. It is called the birthday of Osiris in the Ritual (ch. 130). Osiris, or the young god Horus, came to earth as lord of wine, and is said to be “full of wine” at the fair Uaka festival. The rubric to chapter 130 states that “bread, beer, wine, and all good things” are to be offered to the manes upon the birthday of Osiris, which, in the course of time, became equivalent to our New Year’s festival, or Christmas Day. The grapes were ripe in Egypt at the time the imagery was given its starry setting. This offers a datum as determinative of time and season. The times might change in heaven’s “enormous year”; other doctrines be developed under other names; the grapes be turned to raisins. But the old Festival of Intoxication still lived on when celebrated in the name of Christ. The babe that is born on Christmas Day in the morning is Horus of the inundation still."

Whether ancient Egyptians danced naked in the streets (practised in Roman times) is something we just do not know. They did sing Uaka Carols and from what we have found these were not much different from those sung by the modern faithful:

"He is Born! He is Born! O come and adore Him!

Life-giving mothers, the mothers who bore Him,

Stars of the heavens the daybreak adorning.

Ancestors, ye, of the Star of the Morning.

Women and Men, O come and adore Him,

Child who is born in the night.

He is Born! He is Born! O come and adore Him!

Dwellers in Duat, be joyful before Him,

Gods of the heavens come near and behold Him!

Bow down before Him, kneel down before Him,

King who is born in the night.

He is born! He is born! O come and adore Him!

Young like the Moon in its shining and changing,

Over the heavens His footsteps are ranging,

Stars never-resting and stars never-setting,

Worship the child of God's own begetting!

Heaven and Earth, O come and adore Him!

Bow down before Him, kneel down before Him!

Worship, adore Him, fall down before Him!

God who is born in the night."

There is one thing we must not do at Christmas and that is to wish anyone 'A Happy Christmas', since the meaning of the word Krst is Burial. None of us really want to wish a HAPPY BURIAL upon anyone, whoever they might be.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Happy Christmas" or in the US a "Merry Christmas" is in no way a referral to a burial. It is mearly a wish to have a good celebration in remembrance of Jesus' birth. (Although not actually on 12/25, it has become a traditional holiday)
I would also like to get a reference to the source of your "hymn". In all my studies, I have never seen it before.
As far as I know, the ancient Egyptians did not dance naked in the streets during any festival. The celebration of Opet was a very free-wheeling party-time, but I've never heard of "dancing naked"!
The "virgin birth" of Isis is purely wishful thinking. Isis was married to her brother, Osiris, for quite some time before the birth of Horus. I would imagine normal sexual relations occurred during that time.
The referance to the visitation of Amun to queens and their subsequent birth of His child was a "selling point" made by different Pharaoh to show that they were part God.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massey's ideas are elegant and interesting... and, as far as I can tell, pretty much unsupported by facts. (Interesting review of a derivative work that draws from Massey at http://hnn.us/articles/6641.html which quotes K. kitchen...)

I'd rather read about and talk with/about archaeologists than with mystics. My preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: