Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books by Redford

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Books by Redford Reply with quote

In another thread on this board:
neseret wrote:

Redford, D. B., Ed. 2002. The Ancient Gods Speak: A Guide to Egyptian Religion. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

___________., Ed. 2000. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt. (3 Vols.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

I have The Ancient Gods Speak; I'm curious to know if it was culled from entries in the Oxford Encyclopedia or if it's entirely independent...

(Redford's one of my favorite authors, by the way, even if I frequently need a dictionary and other reference materials close at hand when I read him.)
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, _The Ancient Gods Speak_ was culled from the 3 volume encyclopedia. The articles are reproduced in their entirety, but are lacking the included bibliography at the end of the article. Instead, _Ancient Gods_ has a general biblio at the end of the book.

It's been reprinted as a very inexpensive paperback under a different title now, and for the life of me I can't remember the new title. Sad
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

While looking on Amazon to see if I could come up with another title for The Ancient Gods Speak (I couldn't), I bumped into this by Redford: A History of Ancient Egypt: Egyptian Civilization in Context (List Price: $120.24 - and that's the paperback price!) Shocked Anyone familiar with it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: