Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a language pre-dating ancient hieroglyphics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SG-1
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Is there a language pre-dating ancient hieroglyphics? Reply with quote

im very curious and i just gotta know if any intelligent life on earth pre-dates the egyptian gods , plz let me know ur opinions and information uve gathered to this point i will take pleasure into reading all and hopefully share what small knowledge i have.

Thank You

if you immediately know the candle is fire, than the meal was cooked long ago.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title has a different question than the post Smile

As for a language predating hieroglyphics: not in Egypt. In Egypt the earliest known hieroglyphs are from ivory labels found in Hierakonpolis. If I remember correctly they date to the Nagada II period which comes right before the time of the 1st dynasty.
There may be older texts in the middle east.

Considering that the Egyptian Gods were not really alive, I'm not sure what you mean by "any intelligent life on earth pre-dates the egyptian gods". You mean that the Egyptians may have conceived of something existing before the gods?

Or do you mean if there was a culture around before the beliefs of the Egyptians took form?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very confused about your question, SG-1. Even if the Egyptian gods were ever alive at one point, the Egyptians never date their existance (as far as I know), so how could we know if intelligent peoples were around before them? Wherever there are people there tends to be religion of some type or another, so some of the Egyptian gods are likely extremely old. Surprised

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
SG-1
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Considering that the Egyptian Gods were not really alive, I'm not sure what you mean by "any intelligent life on earth pre-dates the egyptian gods". You mean that the Egyptians may have conceived of something existing before the gods?

Or do you mean if there was a culture around before the beliefs of the Egyptians took form?

thats exactly it im looking for a sign of life before the Egyptian gods took place, now for the egyptian gods to even exist on stone , there must have been some kind of powerful force to inflict the beliefe of these false gods

im sorry if i am unclear , im basically trying to find who could have been the first race to have lived on this earth either in or after the jurassic period

if you immediately know the candle is fire, than the meal was cooked long ago.
DaveB
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jurassic period was 145 million years ago, archaic Homo sapiens evolved between 400,000 and 250,000 years ago...thats straight from wikipedia.

Prehaps this would help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Paleolithic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution#Homo_habilis Idea
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is evidence that humanoid peoples lived in China 1.7 million years ago.
http://www.earthsky.org/radioshows/52823/first-humans-arrived-in-China-17-million-years-ago
Claire.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you define intelligence? The ability to communicate via a constructed language?
The modern sapien brain has not changed since the evolution of our species - so yes, intelligent life has been around way before the people who populated ancient Egypt.
Earlier hominins have also been argued to possess intelligent brains, and that'll take you all the way back through to the Australopithecines.
Modern humans began to live sedentary lifestyles and culture plants and animals around 10kya. From this it has ben argued that a natural developmenty led to uniform, constructed language. Evidence has been said to be found in the remains at Jericho and Natufian settlements.

So basically, yes there was intelligent life before Egyptians. If you take it at the most simplistic level and take it to mean a community of people with a basic religious construction, evidence of language, trading, maths. Then look at any Mesopotamian population circa. 6000BC for an example
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke wrote
"As for a language predating hieroglyphics: not in Egypt. In Egypt the earliest known hieroglyphs are from ivory labels found in Hierakonpolis. If I remember correctly they date to the Nagada II period which comes right before the time of the 1st dynasty.
There may be older texts in the middle east."

As Anneke said there, that's the earliest I have ever heard of.

I'm not sure I'll be on target with the Gods question. If you mean is there an older religion, I would put my money on yes. As for the Egyptian Gods, I think, I think they've been around for about 6,000 years, in isolated pockets at first, with several different creation myths coming from major early population centers. I'd also bet money that these gods, in one way or another, have been around a very long time, since they are so intimately connected with the cycles of life. To me, it is a very harmonious way to with nature that would have been appealing.
Sorry if I didn't help you
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"to BE with nature" Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: