Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the stargate conspiracy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramesses II
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: the stargate conspiracy Reply with quote

i was looking into purchasing the book called the stargate conspiracy: the truth about extraterrestial life and the mysteries of ancient egypt i was wondering if anybody has read this book and has any opinions on it and what are if any have opinions on the theory that the ancient egyptian gods were modeled after aliens who had contact with the ancient egyptians .
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the book didn't come out until some time after the movie was released. That movie spawned a few good lines, and two shows on the Sci-Fi cable channel, and this travesty that purports to be reality. Save your money, rent the video, and throw popcorn at the screen for every mistake you find! Laughing

kat newkirk
Ramesses II
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no its got nothing to do with the movie or tv show its a book about the theory about aliens having contact with the ancient egyptians its by clive prince
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, extra terrestrial (alien) contact with AE is an old theory, totally unfounded I might add. But this waste of paper's main premise was ripped off from the movie. It ranks right up there with Disney Land, etc. as fairy tales for ppl too lazy or gullible to dig into real Egyptology!
Ramesses II
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kat wrote:
Yes, extra terrestrial (alien) contact with AE is an old theory, totally unfounded I might add. But this waste of paper's main premise was ripped off from the movie. It ranks right up there with Disney Land, etc. as fairy tales for ppl too lazy or gullible to dig into real Egyptology!
it's very bad to be closed minded no says you have to belive it but it is a interested theory
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the book on amazon.com

The reviews are a bit confusing. Some seem to think it was a humorous bashing of new age ideas with some conspiracy theory thrown in?

Doesn't soound like a great read from what the reviewers say, but then again $12 isn't much.

I personally don't believe in ancient contacts with aliens. Hey anything's possible, but it seems a bit far fetched to me.

I think I would take the $12 and buy a good book about ancient egypt instead Wink
But that's just me ....
Neferseshat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in this kind of theories once, and I read a book called Fingerprint of The Gods by Graham Hancock.

He talked a lot about myth and legends of those ancient civilizations, like Maya, Egypt, Aztec...etc. And he concluded that there may be a well-developed civilization which he may imply Atlantic, after the civilization vanished in flood, some survivors scattered all over the world, and turned into significant person like Osiris of Egypt, Quetzalcoatl of Maya, even China had one(and he was defined as one of our second empirer of Chinese history).

I think sometimes we use modern standard to see the ancient people, and that's why the alien theory came from-because we don't see in their ways and we can't see in their way now.

I believe there may be some unsolved puzzles about the Giza pyramids and the Sphinx, but that's all. Not all the ancient Egyptian history was involved with alien. It's the idea for entertainment, I think it will be fine(like "Night in the Museum", I like the idea, but the Old-Kingdom pharaoh clearly wore too much clothes Laughing ).
Matrixgal
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know anything about the book. Sorry. But I do know what some told me and what I believe. It has been told that in those Ancient Egyptian times, they built the pyramids facing Orion's Belt. Now why is that? And why are there tombs in the pyramids in which the pharaohs were mummified? It's because they were hoping the pharaohs would get to the heavens. The pyramids were suppose to be a "gateway" to the heavens. Not a gateway to the heavens, but more a gateway to the planet in the middle of Orion's Belt. Now why do they want to go to that planet? Because they are aliens! And I have news for you. You won't want to hear it but you are also an alien if you ask me. We were all once aliens. What makes us humans different from aliens? We are actually spirits or souls. In order to play this game called 'Life' we have bodies. And aliens are also spirits or souls and have bodies and they too play a game called 'life' or maybe something different on another planet. So they are the same as us but they are further away in the huge universe around us and for all we know they really do look different to us being green and all. But again, if you ask me, they probably look like us. And they came here from other planets or the planet in the middle of Orion's Belt and they now live here and are now humans. To take this another stretch whether you believe this or not, they get reborn and we all get reborn, life after life and forget our previous lives like the when we were once an alien. But if you don't think there is any truth to this then no worries. BUT TRY AND CONSIDER WHERE YOU WERE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN OR BEFORE YOU WERE PUT ON THIS EARTH. AND IF YOU BELIEVE IN GOD AND IF GOD PUT YOU ON THIS EARTH, WHERE DID HE HAVE YOU BEFORE HE PUT YOU HERE?
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At death, the Pharaohs buried in the pyramids were looking forward to ascending to the stars and becoming one of them. Orion belt is NOT mentioned.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather doubt the Egyptians even looked at Orion the way the we do. They did observe certain stars as sacred objects in the sky, and that's why the four "air shafts" in the Great Pyramid aimed at particular stars 4,500 years ago. It all has a reasonable explanation from an ancient Egyptian magico-religious perspective.

Aliens had nothing to do with it. For those of you who've studied the Pyramid Texts, which come along later in the Old Kingdom, the pyramid and its chambers and corridors make a lot of sense. LOL Not that the Pyramid Texts are easily understandable all the way through, but it's clear in these spells how the king was meant to leave the Duat after death and ascend to the heavens.

I believe there really was a government program called Stargate, and I remember reading about it a long time ago. It has nothing to do with the sloppy fiction one reads in fringe books or on the internet, however.

I absolutely agree with anneke: use the money to by a book on ancient Egypt!

Neferseshat wrote:
Quote:
I was interested in this kind of theories once, and I read a book called Fingerprint of The Gods by Graham Hancock.

Eesh, Graham Hancock, one of the kings of the fringe! Interestingly, he's published a full retraction of his arument that the graffiti found in the uppermost relieving chamber of the Great Pyramid was put there as a forgery by Vyse, back in the 1800s. Some time ago Hawass allowed Hancock to explore this chamber and see the graffiti for himself, and Hancock saw up close and personal how a lot of the graffiti simply could not have been forged.

It's been an extremely poor argument all along, anyway. One more fringe argument bites the dust. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Isis 2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

I have read both books talked about here, I have the Stargate book mentioned and I have also read Finger Prints of the Gods, which I actually found v interesting, but the best, in my opinion, book that Graham Hancock wrote is the "Sign and Seal" basically about his search for the Ark of Conventent, romping good read, can't say whether I believe it or not, but its still a v good read.

As to the Stargate book, ummm will have to read it again, obviosuly did not leave a lasting impression on me.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm browsing in my favorite book-store (which I do quite often, BTW!) once and a while I'll see a book that has an interesting title. When I pick it up to check it out further, if I notice the name "Graham Hancock" mentioned, I put it down FAST!!!
He has gone completely over the edge in spouting far-out theories!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hancock actually wrote a public retraction on his belief that the graffiti in the relieving chambers of the Great Pyramid were forged by Vyse. Lots of fringe writers still believe this silly notion, but Hawass allowed Hancock to explore the relieving chambers for himself. Once Hanock was able to examine the grafitti and the nature of its positioning on numerous stones, he had no choice but to concede that the forgery argument is complete bull-flop. The graffiti is original.

Nevertheless, Hancock refuses to see the light on many other issues. I doubt I'd ever be willing to spend my own money on one of his books, considering there is such a wealth of actual books of history to be enjoyed. Wink

Visit my blog!
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Nevertheless, Hancock refuses to see the light on many other issues. I doubt I'd ever be willing to spend my own money on one of his books, considering there is such a wealth of actual books of history to be enjoyed. Wink

I've been known to take his books out of the astronomy and archaeology sections of bookstores and shelve them with fiction. Wink
Neferseshat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urrr......I have Hancock's God's Fingerprint, I purchased it when I just reached the field of ancient history.

Two things I'd like to say about them(The Chinese version had two volumes...)

1.Those two volumes cost me about 20 dollars, and that's a big spend for me.
2.I put them on the corner of the bookshelf after reading them once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: