Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to Meritaten?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: What happened to Meritaten? Reply with quote

There's a thread about the ultimate fate of Ankhesenamen, but what about her big sister Meritaten?

She's rather omnipresent in Amarna. She is the most often depicted of the royal princesses it seems and is depicted as a great royal wife of Smenkhare in the tomb of Meryre. So she did live through the whole Amarna period and into the years just past.

In Tutankhamen's tomb she is mentioned on several items. A small ivory palette naming her was found between the paws of Anubis. More interesting is a set of clappers found that contain the inscription:

( the great royal wife (Tiye)| may she live the king's daughter Meritaten )|

this is a strange inscription with a large cartouche surrounding the names and titles of Tiye and Meritaten. Was it a gift from Tiye to her grand-daughter? Was Meritaten trying to associate herself with her illustrious ancestor. A typo: was maybe Tiye mentioned and was meritaten meant as an epithet instead of a name?

Or rather (royally) out there: Did Meriaten change her name to Tiye? (That seems a bit far fetched Smile )

And Meritaten is mentioned on a box together with Akhenaten and king Neferneferuaten.

Did she survive and retire? Did she survive and make a grab for power as the possible King/Queen Neferneferuaten?

If she really survived, then it seems to me that she would have maybe been in line to marry Tut, instead of her sister? Is that the main sign that she must have died?

For as far as I know, no funerary equipment for Meritaten was ever found. No possible tomb has ever been identified.

I think there is only evidence for the burials of Meketaten (in the royal tomb) and the princess Neferure (in another tomb in the royal wadi at Amarna).
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think those items in tut's tomb don't necessarily mean they were gifts for burial. they may have been given in life, but i think they were either possesions not buried with her, ie, left in the palace, or that they represent what's left of her burial.

we do know that tut has a lot of things in his tomb which have amarna royalty on them.

and i thought the almost current opinion was she married smenkhare, and then he died, so she must have died around tut's accession?
i do think if she was around when tut was king, she would have married him, being great royal wife and all? maybe the vizier ay and general horemheb or another powerful courtier bumped her off at smenkhare's death to control tut and the monarchy?
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to deviate from subject but is Smenkhare not actually Nefertiti?

Co-regency between Akhenaten and Nefertiti > Nefertiti becomes regent (as in Hatshepsut becomes regent) as Smenkhare and takes own daughter Meritaten as Great Royal Wife to legitimize reign

Followed by co-regency between Smenkhare and Tut

Back onto subject... is there any evidence of a Meritaten name change to Meritamun (anywhere)? - if so, that might indicate she 'outlived' Armarna

Hatshepsu(t) may have lived as king, but she was buried as a woman, so too might Smankare be found buried as a woman, therefor might not we find them (albeit moved from original burial location to new) together?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that is one of the theories concerning smenkhare. though the fact the kv 55 mummy isn't old enough to be akhenaten, i would think it is smenkhare.

hatshepsut was buried as queen, because her successor buried her like that. she really didn't get a say in the matter once she was dead!

your idea of meritaten changing her name is a good idea. i mean there are a lot of royal princesses/wives called meritamun. she could have slipped through the cracks of history like that. there isn't a known tomb either, so all is not lost. just undiscovered.
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes... theories, theories, it is damned annoying this theory upon theory thing. I guess the truth will come eventually from he who shouts loudest, is published widest and ends up with Hollywood confirming his truth! - call me a cynic, huh?! ha!

I actually thought that the kv55 age problem had been 'resolved' and that the age of death had been 'stretched' enough to provide a 'proof', where does the 'godfather' (don-corliHawass) stand on this one?

The whole smenkhare = nefertiti thing just makes so much sense to me, but I guess subscribing to a theory will just have to do until infinite coincidence equals fact Laughing

Just as aside (maybe it should be a new post, but all seems interelated at armarna), is there a accepted position on Tutu being Tut?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason there isn't any evidence is coz everyone wanted a return to what was normal and familiar. akhenaten was a heretic, and later monarchs wanted him to rot in hell or die again by destroying every record of him.

makes it harder for us to figure out who was who and what happened when.
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be drifting towards away from Meritaten so I have created a new thread here...

http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=46667&sid=26b26fef27bd727b02da39e48bd79bc9#46667

Personally I am not sure that it was Akhenten himself that the 'establishment' found offensive but his name. I find this a wonderfully interesting period, just look at all the amazing interaction of characters we have to play with!

So what happened to Meritaten?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:

no one know's!! she just 'dissapears' from history, much like the rest of her family!!
Karaum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:

Her name would surely have reverted to Meriymn after the end of the Aten era? Horemheb was 'Horemheb Merymn' so the name could be male or female, though the 't' in Meritaten denotes female. According to Lorraine Evans she went to Scotland as Princess Scota. Irish legend does have it that Ireland was invaded and conquered by the Tuath (Duat) Dedanaan (Tatanen), Cain and Abel also turn up in Celtic legend as Heber and Kian.

Horemheb was also known as Djoser (Joshua) Setepenre.

I still have this intuition that YmnTwtAnkh was not a living king but the resurrected Prince Tuthmose - Priests of Ymn may have pretended that he had resurrected and was king in some weird effort to get rid of Akhenaten. The Prince's tomb was found empty, so where did the corpse go to? The Prince's Whip and Chest showing him fighting Nubians were both found in Twt's tomb.

The Kebra Nagast does tell us that Menelek - Ymn El Akh (El = Twt) so Ymn Twt Ankh - was the eldest son of Solomon (YmnHtp III) and also that his mother was Eteye Azeb (Queen Etiye - Tiye). 1 Kings 11:11/13 tells us that the son of Solomon (YmnHtp III) would be the last of his line and that the kingdom would go to a servant or official. This is what happened, and in Twt's tomb, Aye (biblical Ahijah) is shown wearing the crown - which kind of indicates that Twt had been dead for a while and Aye had already assumed the throne.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karaum wrote:

Her name would surely have reverted to Meriymn after the end of the Aten era?

IF she survived and decided to change her name then Merytamen would be a logical change. But there are other examples (Butler Paatenemheb for instance) who kept their Aten name.

Karaum wrote:
Horemheb was 'Horemheb Merymn' so the name could be male or female, though the 't' in Meritaten denotes female.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Horemheb was the previous general Horemheb who had served under Tutankhamen. Horemheb's tomb in Saqqara makes this abundantly clear.
Horemheb was definitely a guy ...

Karaum wrote:
Horemheb was also known as Djoser (Joshua) Setepenre.

Horemheb's prenomen is Djeserkheperure Setepenre

Karaum wrote:
I still have this intuition that YmnTwtAnkh was not a living king but the resurrected Prince Tuthmose - Priests of Ymn may have pretended that he had resurrected and was king in some weird effort to get rid of Akhenaten.

So the body in KV 62 is an elaborate ancient hoax?
Tutankhamen is a king's son and there is no reason to have some unfounded theory supposing he was some dead prince propped up as a figure head for 10 years.

Karaum wrote:
The Prince's tomb was found empty, so where did the corpse go to? The Prince's Whip and Chest showing him fighting Nubians were both found in Twt's tomb.

The tomb of Prince Tuthmosis (son of Amenhotep III) is not known, so it cannot have been found empty.

Karaum wrote:
The Kebra Nagast does tell us that Menelek - Ymn El Akh (El = Twt) so Ymn Twt Ankh - was the eldest son of Solomon (YmnHtp III) and also that his mother was Eteye Azeb (Queen Etiye - Tiye). 1 Kings 11:11/13 tells us that the son of Solomon (YmnHtp III) would be the last of his line and that the kingdom would go to a servant or official. This is what happened, and in Twt's tomb, Aye (biblical Ahijah) is shown wearing the crown - which kind of indicates that Twt had been dead for a while and Aye had already assumed the throne.

This is nonsense. You have posted this kind of theory before and it was pointed out that the theory (using the term loosely) has more holes than the average Swiss cheese. Amenhotep III and Solomon are not identical. They lived during very different time periods and ruled different geographical areas.

Back to Meritaten (and facts)

She was a queen, and there is no evidence she was ever interred in the royal wadi in Amarna. This seems to indicate that she may have at least survived her father.

To my knowledge there are no funerary items with her name. So either her tomb has not been found, or she was not buried with honors, or her tomb was so thoroughly ransacked that nothing remains of items bearing her name.

It's also somehwat related to the question of what happened to queens when a king died. If the queen was the mother of the next ruler she had a position at court as the King's Mother. But a royal woman like Meritaten may not have had a real place at court if she had been queen, but did not marry the next king. That may have put her somewhat in limbo. Or she may have had to retreat into relative anonymity in some harem like Gurob where she may have faded into the shadows.
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always heard (and personally thought) that Meritaten became co-regent alongside Nefertiti and was murdered with her. (Nefertiti's mummy [in KV35?????] does have a stab wound in it's side...) however, where Meritaten's body is (or was) I haven't a clue! Idea
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease stop with the kooky Egyptian Hebrew stuff.

Not to mention there is NO significant archaeological record of any distinctly Hebrew people at the time of Amunhotep III. They have yet to step on the scene, so to speak.
Sobek
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever suggested the possibility of two people named Meritaten?

1) daughter of Amenhotep III and Tiye
2) daughter of Amenhotep IV and Nefertiti
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:

The whole smenkhare = nefertiti thing just makes so much sense to me, but I guess subscribing to a theory will just have to do until infinite coincidence equals fact Laughing

It makes sense to you that a king would adopt his wife as his co-regent and successor and that said lady would then take her daughter as her 'great wife'? And drop her own name entirely for that of a young prince whose existence is attested by wine dockets?

Sure doesn't make sense to me!
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
freeTinker wrote:

no one know's!! she just 'dissapears' from history, much like the rest of her family!!

On the positive side disappearance from monuments need not necessarily mean death. Not being a King's Mother Meritaten's importance would vanish as soon as Tut succeeded and she might have retired to her estates or a harem palace and there enjoyed a peaceful and lengthy retirement - though if she was Neferneferuaten such a tame ending is highly improbable.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: