Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV55 - Akhenaten or Smakhkare?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so tiye was buried in amarna, then in k.v.55, and after that, with amenhotep III? before ending up ina cache?

i didn't know she was moved so many times. thank you for that info though, neseret.
Theban Moon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Perhaps since this have been overplayed - change to Tutu Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Theban Moon wrote:
neseret wrote:

Not quite. It's

Akhenaten --> "King Neferneferuaten" --> Smenkhkare --->Tutankhamun-->Aye.

That's assuming of course that we know of all the kings. As records of the Amarna era were supressed in the King Lists it is possible that there was another unknown king somewhere in that list. That is particularly the case as it is believed there was a plague late in Akhenaten's reign so it is quite possible that a successor didn't reign long enough to have an impact in the archaeoogical record. "King Neferneferuaten" seems to be almost invisible (and Smenkhare not exactly prominent) so on current evidence it is hard to rule out unknown intervening pharaohs.

If there's no archaeological or textual evidence for another king, and the age of Tutankhamun at accession (at 9 years of age, which is confirmed by the 2005 CT scan which shows the age of death at 19 after a 10-year reign) shows that all years from the alleged representation of his birth in roughly Year 12-13 in the Royal Tomb at Amarna (Room Alpha) are accounted by the ruling of Akhenaten (5 years) --> "King Neferneferuaten" (3 years) -->Smenkhkare (1 year), I sincerely doubt there's an "unknown king" of which we do not know about.

Theban Moon wrote:
Even the date of KV55 is uncertain. It was clearly disturbed (even desecrated) perhaps several times. While it is commonly believed it was sealed during the reign of Tutankhamun and then not disturbed until the 20th dynasty but the evidence for this is far from conclusive. I don't think we can be certain that the mummy is of an individual who pre-deceased Tutankhamun. Probable yes: certain no.

As Tutankhamun's seals are the first seals on KV 55, which is a reburial (actually a cache reburial, as Tiye's body was also interred within KV 55 at one time), I suspect we can assume that the KV 55 remains were already dead before Tutankhamun. As Tutankhamun usurps grave good from the KV 55 burial (sarcophagus, coffinettes, and 2nd coffin belonging to 'Ankhkheperure' a throne name used by both Smenkhkare and 'King Nefernferuaten' (Allen 1994 and 2005)), I would think from this also we can also safely assume the KV 55 remains were already dead before Tutankhamun.

I agree that is the most likely version of events - my problem is that less likely alternatives are ignored so that probables tend to get elevated into facts.

Kate
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree kate, i was reading akhenaten by nicholas reeves, and he said that there was no evidence that smenkhare existed, or that the mummy was under 35. he also stood by an anatomists view point the mummy was around 35, from an examination in the 80's. i feel he was biased, and stood by her findings because they supported the view it was akhenaten.

it doesn't matter apparently, that more people have stated the k.v.55 mummy is no older than 24. including grafton elliot smith, who was a legendary anthropologist. and people since that woman in the 80's have stated it is not old enough to be akhenaten.

i think that all the evidence in the tomb is haphazard at best, and nothing there should suggest who was buried there. tiye i think was, but the mummy can't be akhenaten, i don't think people 300 years after akhenaten died and his memory obliviated would know who's burial they had stumbled on.
especially since the ramessides left tut's tomb alone.
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know anything about when or why these mummies were moved into this tomb? that might be a clue to who was reburied there.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tomb was sealed by tutankhamun. and it is assumed he brought a member or members of his family to thebes, with the burial equipment not used for his tomb.
it was opened sometime in the 20th dynasty, and it is thought that the tomb may have been ransacked, and other mummies moved, tainted by their association of the unknown mummy. queen tiye is believed to have rested there for a while, but i think that's simply because her shrine was found there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: