Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discoveries at Saqqara (near Djoser's pyramid)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Discoveries at Saqqara (near Djoser's pyramid) Reply with quote

To summarize from Hawass' news feed, there are several finds made during routine conservation work.

1. A deep hole full of the remains of animals and birds. The mission has also found that the hole’s floor is covered with a layer of plaster.

2. A large quantity of golden fragments during their restoration work at the southern tomb of Djoser’s pyramid. These may have been used by the ancient Egyptians of the Late Period to decorate wooden sarcophagi or to cover carttonage.

3. Thirty granite blocks were also discovered, each weighing five tons. These blocks, Dr. Hawass explained, belonged to the granite sarcophagus that once housed Djoser’s wooden sarcophagus - the final resting place of the king’s mummy.

4. While cleaning the internal corridors of the pyramid, the mission has also found limestone blocks bearing the names of King Djoser's daughters, as well as wooden instruments, remains of wooden statues, bone fragments, the remains of a mummy, and different sizes of clay vessels.

There are images of the items here:
http://www.drhawass.com/blog/press-release-new-discoveries-saqqara

The names of the daughters of Djoser found on the fragment are Intkaes and Hetephirnebty. These daughters were already known from other sources I'm pretty sure.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke said:

Thirty granite blocks were also discovered, each weighing five tons. These blocks, Dr. Hawass explained, belonged to the granite sarcophagus that once housed Djoser’s wooden sarcophagus

I can't imagine a sarcophagus using 39-5 ton blocks in its construction! It has to be a mis-translation. Perhaps it meant the burial chamber?
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Discoveries at Saqqara (near Djoser's pyramid) Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

There are images of the items here:
http://www.drhawass.com/blog/press-release-new-discoveries-saqqara

The names of the daughters of Djoser found on the fragment are Intkaes and Hetephirnebty. These daughters were already known from other sources I'm pretty sure.

IntKaes appears in Dodson and Hilton's Complete Royal Families, but a Hetephirnebty (appears as Hotephirnebty) is mentioned as his wife, there is no mention of a daughter of that name. Nevertheless, the inscription Anneke references definitely names these two as his daughters.

Perhaps we have here a daughter being named after her mother.

I wonder about the sequence of signs. Is the sign X1 part of the word "king" (it would seem out of sequence there) or part of the word "daughter", in which case I would expect to see it over the bird's back, but possibly that convention had not yet arisen by the time of the 4th dynasty.

I read the girls' names as perhaps
in-t(w)-ka.s = "one has brought her Ka", something like that
Htp-Hr-nbty = "an offering for (or perhaps "dedicated to") the Two Ladies"

There may be other interpretations.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
anneke said:

Thirty granite blocks were also discovered, each weighing five tons. These blocks, Dr. Hawass explained, belonged to the granite sarcophagus that once housed Djoser’s wooden sarcophagus

I can't imagine a sarcophagus using 39-5 ton blocks in its construction! It has to be a mis-translation. Perhaps it meant the burial chamber?

Good point. I couldn't quite figure out where these blocks were found either. Maybe more info will come out to clarify this.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Discoveries at Saqqara (near Djoser's pyramid) Reply with quote

BobManske wrote:
IntKaes appears in Dodson and Hilton's Complete Royal Families, but a Hetephirnebty (appears as Hotephirnebty) is mentioned as his wife, there is no mention of a daughter of that name. Nevertheless, the inscription Anneke references definitely names these two as his daughters.

Perhaps we have here a daughter being named after her mother.

When I have more time I should look up some of the info. Isn't Hotephirnebty thought to possibly be a daughter of Khasekhemwy?
It may be the case - like you said - that Hotephirneby became a family name. It wouldn't be the first time there were several women with the same name (Merysankh, Hetepheres, etc are examples)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: