Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fictional Books based in Egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I do have kindle and it's a very good price right now
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen Durys 2 books A God Against the Gods, and Return to Thebes. Amarna era fiction,, based on outdated ideas.

Max Overton has the 5 book series Scarab. Amarna period books that will make anyone who knows anything about Amarna laugh themselves silly. Definetly fiction.
Lavender
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't read A God Against the Gods. I've heard mixed reviews. What do you think of it? (Other than that it's based on outmoded Egyptology...)
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavender wrote:
I still haven't read A God Against the Gods. I've heard mixed reviews. What do you think of it? (Other than that it's based on outmoded Egyptology...)

I loved it (as I mentioned above) Allen Drury (Pulitzer Prize winner) was a guy who knew how to tell a story and put a reader in the center of the action but others might find his multiple narrative, stream of consciousness technique offputting and some may not agree with his characterizations. The book was written over 20 years ago so of course many of the theories he based it on are no longer in favor.

Another famous novelist writing an Egypt themed novel at around the same time was Norman Mailer. Frankly, I thought his "Ancient Evenings" was terrible--slow moving and ponderous with no feel for the culture whatsoever. Even the sex scenes--and there were many--were boring.

It's all a matter of taste.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we cover Judith Tarr? She has a few Egypt books. (My library has them in the science fiction section though).
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Judith Tarr's Pillar of Fire...uses that hokey old "Moses was Akhenaten" trope, but uses it well, and in an entertaining way. And I love her historical note where she points out that she really doesn't think it was like that at all, but she came across the idea in some Egyptologist's old writings and thought it would make an entertaining novel. And indeed it did!

I found an old paperback copy of The Twelfth Transforming recently (Pauline Gedge)...it might be my favorite Egyptian novel of all time. So lush and beautiful and creepy. It's out of print, but well worth hunting up!

I'm also making my way through Out of the Black Land by Kerry Greenwood. Also an enjoyable take on Amarna.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I ever read all of Pillars of Fire. I much preferred The King and Goddess.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavender wrote:

I'm also making my way through Out of the Black Land by Kerry Greenwood. Also an enjoyable take on Amarna.

Oh, I've been eyeing that at my library. Think I'll have to read it soon. Do you know if the author is planning a series?
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Razz Only just saw your post, sorry. It's been a while since I've visited the forums. Very Happy

I don't think Greenwood is planning a series, sadly. I know Out of the Black Land is a fairly old book and it doesn't seem like she's done much with Egyptian stuff since then.

Some other picks folks might enjoy for ancient Egyptian fiction:

I'm currently reading Shiri by D.S. Taylor. Takes place at the end of Thutmose III's reign/beginning of Amunhotep's. The Egyptians are the "bad guys" but the writing is really well done. I recommend it! I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Did I already mention The Maya Papyrus? I don't think I have mentioned it before. This one is by Richard Coady. Long, but exceptionally well written account of the Amarna period/royal family. It probably has the most accurate history you'll find in fiction. I loved it!

There's a new trilogy about Kiya...first one is Kiya: Hope of the Pharaoh. I haven't read it myself, but it's been getting good reviews. It appears to combine Biblical stories with Egyptian history.

Daughter of the Gods, about Hatshepsut, comes out in May. It looks like it's finally available for pre-order, so that's good news! I read the first chapter as a teaser and really liked it...looks like a very promising novel!

And I guess I should probably mention my own books, while I'm at it...I'm putting out the final installment in a series about the Thutmosides this month. The first book is here: The Sekhmet Bed.

I don't have nearly as much time to read as I'd like, but I've been happy to see so much ancient Egyptian fiction popping up lately. And so much of it has been fantastic -- well worth reading! I'm due to write some other stuff over the next six months or so, but I'm already thinking up new stories I can set in Egypt. It's by far my favorite setting, for both writing and reading!
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could people mention if books are only available in e-book, please? Some of still only read dead trees?
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
Could people mention if books are only available in e-book, please? Some of still only read dead trees?

Many older titles were never transmitted in anything BUT dead trees. That was the acceptable form of publication for well over 600 years.

Many of us still think that electronic books today are not the only means of reading, either.

So, please don't be so smug about it.
Lavender
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's being smug?
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say that wrong? I meant only to leave a note by the title stating 'only available in e-book', it's easier to look for things that way.
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavender wrote:
Who's being smug?

If I sound smug, it's a reaction to those who often think that EVERYTHING must either be online or in digital format to be worth anything.

We have survived, nay even flourished, as a human race by being able to write things DOWN in a publishable format that could be read, researched, and educated by. To do that, one had to read usually the entire work - not just pick through for bits and pieces. That is what a book is for: getting the WHOLE story.

The original poster has made my point by noting she only wants e-books because (quote)"...'only available in e-book', it's easier to look for things that way."

Why not read the whole book and get the entire context of what you're interested in?

So, if I sound smug, I'm not: I'm frustrated by the modern "sound-byte" attitude to information transmission.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't want e-books. Since I don't have any e-reader device, I was just wanting a little note for books only available in that format. So it's easier when looking for books. Perhaps also mentioning if something is likely out of print would be helpful.

(Sorry for any confusion.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: