Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 'natural' sphinx theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
It's possible that a facelift occurred when Tuthmosis IV was motivated to dig away the sand, as the Sphinx asked of him. Perhaps in the process Tuthmosis IV did a bit of cosmetic reconstruction, too.

Possible as that may be, the Sphinx's features bear no resemblance to Thutmose's - as on his own statuary.
Who would then have been depicted?

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not necessarily face lift as in features changed to lok like a pharaoh, but maybe added the beard.
Aktisanes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let us not forget that the face of the sfinx was mutilated in ancient times, so somebody must have hated the one whoes likeliness it was carved in.
Also there are a lot of ifs and maybies an perhapses in this thread.
So if I say the sfinx was made by green little spacemen, I have just as much proof as anybody else in this forum.
Funny how there is no record of pyramids and sfinxes in ancient egypt, let's say the old kingdom?
sp495
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: The 'natural' sphinx theory Reply with quote

This seems like it would be a great hypothesis.. I can understand why the Egyptians would carve it into a sphinx. I suppose the sphinxes were based on the sphinx of Giza, this I know, but I'm not sure about it being the oldest.. There must be a way to tell which monument is older though.
isisinacrisis wrote:
I recently watched a programme on the tv and it claimed at the sphinx may have been older than we think, and was there before the Egyptians...and it wasn't an early pre egyptian advanced 'lost civilisation' who carved it, it wasn't even constructed by humans! You see, this program claims that the sphinx's shape came from nature-it was a large rock that had been eroded by wind and sand over 1000s of years and when the Egyptians noticed it, they thought it looked special and divine, so they carved a face and other details on it and built their pyramids nearby.
What do you think of this theory? It does make sense, but is the Sphinx of Giza the oldest in Egypt? and what about all the other sphinxes? Were they based on the sphinx of giza?

amunkhare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
Who would then have been depicted?

The conventional story is that it depicts Khafre, builder of the second pyramid complex and sphinx temple. I recall seeing a side-by-side demonstration of the profile of the sphinx superimposed against his black basalt statue while trying to be convinced ... I wasn't ...

There is a great point made in this thread about the size of the rock knoll on the original outcrop of stone. I too rather bought the theory it was once larger, perhaps with a lions head, and then subsequently recarved by perhaps Khafre or Thutmose. But with that thought, it may very well be as originally depicted with only minor facelifts ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: