Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tribute to Cleopatra and Son Cesarian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starguard
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Tribute to Cleopatra and Son Cesarian Reply with quote

If this was made in her lifetime, I wonder if Cleopatra herself (and her son) ever gaze upon this very piece of art Shocked

If so, I wonder what she thought of it!
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt it. as far as i know, cleopatra only went south to the the pyramids with caesar, maybe as far as abydos? she hardly left alexandria from what i understand. though, she did live in rome for two years, and then met antony in tarsus in turkey. so she did travel the Mediterranean more extensively than previous monarchs. but i wouldnt think she'd have been south to dendera or philae, but im sure someone else will will prove me wrong. Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I haven't been able to find any mention of a possible royal trip to Dendera. But it seems to be one of the bigger building constructions from Cleopatra and Caesarion?
Another depiction of mother and son is at Edfu, but there Caesarion is shown at a much smaller scale.

In "Cleopatra and Rome" By Diana E. E. Kleiner (google books) there is mention of the Festival of the beautiful embrace. This is a celebration of Hathor and Horus.
This is purely speculative, but if there was a visit I wonder if it could have coincided with that festival.

I have not come across any record of such a visit though.

close up ...
Leena
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read that they continued building / decorating the Denderah temple for years after Cleopatra's death. (Joyce Tyldesley's book about Cleopatra, don't have it with me here so cannot give you a page number).

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, I am trying to find time to paint enough paintings to put up an art exhibition of ancient Egyptian paintings. And the very one I am working on at the moment is this same spot of the Denderah temple back wall. (You can see it if you click on the link at my signature).

I hope it is ok to mention this - I am not selling my paintings here LOL

Leena Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: