Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egyptian food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh look at me, dragging up old posts from the grave Laughing

It's just that I saw something in the Sun newspaper that claimed that the Egyptians ate purple carrots Laughing yup that's right. Apparently, that's the original colour of carrots, according to the newspaper. But I'm not sure (after all, the Sun is one of those seedy tabloids that say a lot of rubbish-I only read it because i was bored) I think that those 'purple carrot' depictions could have been long radishes? Becuase I'm sure carrots of that colour are either a weird mutation or have had their genes tampered with...hehehe I'm in a cynical mood today, don't worry about me...

And is it really true that Egyptians ate cobra meat?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a website about the history of the carrot (Daucus Carota).
Nope, not kidding Twisted Evil

There are supposedly several different versions. The original botanical variety was light colored and not anywhere near as tasty as the ones we have today.

Most of the fruits and vegetables we eat are not close anymore to the original botanical varieties. Centuries of human selection can do quite a job on the genetic make-up. (In the same vein: Have you ever seen a pack of wild poodles roaming the savannas? No? Me either. Very Happy )

Wasn't the cobra sacred? I somehow find it hard to believe they would eat the embodiment of Wadjet (I think that's the cobra goddess?).
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention incredibly poisonous too...and I'm talking about cobras, not carrots Laughing

So maybe those rainbow carrots in the paper aren't all GM'd. I wouldn't mind trying some Egyptian carrots in my salad. I wonder if they have the same health benefits-like helping you see in the dark and all that...

Did you see the reason why carrots today are orange? it's becuase they are dutch bred-and they love orange over there...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:

Did you see the reason why carrots today are orange? it's becuase they are dutch bred-and they love orange over there...

LOL It's part of a subliminal plot by the Dutch to take over the world....
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they did love beer, and they ofcourse ate bread, and they also had a special liking for a cuisine that is uptil now still served in Egyptian homes called Molokia, it was a soup of a kind of leave that i fail to name at this moment, it was cheap and nutritionaland thats why they liked it.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is in this soup?

Another thing-I saw a quote at a cosmetics shop that caught my eye. They were advertising their latest range of honey scented products, and there was a note near the products saying 'Honey was sacred to the Egyptians, and they believed it came from the tears of Ra'. Not sure if that's part of the advertising ploy or what, but it seems pretty nifty to me...i mean, apart from fruits, it was their only source of sweetness and sugar and must have had some sacred connotations.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its basically just finely cut Molokia Leaves which are kinda like Spinach leaves, with garlic and some other ingredients. Suprisingly, the same ingredients that were being made in present day Egypt are the same ingredients that were written in the text in a tomb of a pharaoh, but minus the chicken or lamb that was later added in the soup.

Ingredients:
-2 hectogram wild spinach or 1,5 hectogram molokhia leaves
-2 strings garlic (squeezed)
-a little sunflower or olive oil.
-a tea-spoon full of sharp pepper
-2 eatspoons full of grinded coriander
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe Very Happy
Maybe that's a more interesting way to serve up spinach-my mum's spinach is a bit dull but I'm forced to eat it lol...I'll show her this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: