Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

book recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neferu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: book recommendations Reply with quote

hey was just wondering if anyone could recommend any books or websites on glyps I can already read some basics, numbers, alphebet and such like but could do with reading up on combinations and the proper use for certain titles!!

cheers chucks
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some book recommendations here:

http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am studing hieroglyphs at uni
I use ...
Middle Egyptian Grammer J. E. Hoch.
(there are days where i want to beat him to death with his own text book Smile there are some annoying things)

the above is newer but the gardiner grammer is good back up.
murphyz
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 'How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-step Guide to Teach Yourself Hieroglyphs' as mentioned in the link above and find it very useful.

Try checking that one out

Mxx
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gods of Ancient Egypt by Barbara Watterson is a good reference book.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Lexikon der Ägyptologie" is also a good reference book, maybe even still the best in the world ... But I do not see how this would help the user Neferu with his problem from 2003 (!), looking for books to learn read and translate the ancient Egyptian language ?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostascribe wrote:
i am studing hieroglyphs at uni. I use ... Middle Egyptian Grammer J. E. Hoch. (there are days where i want to beat him to death with his own text book Smile there are some annoying things)...

By the way, this one is online, also for download ...

James Hoch : Middle Egyptian Grammar. - [SSEA Studies 15]. - Mississauga : Benben, 1997. - ISBN : 0920168124. - XVII, 307 S.
Quote:
A new version of AEB 1995.0225, printed in a slightly different format affecting the original page numbering. Though the main text has remained unchanged, the original last text was p. 300, and now it is p. 234. This version is extended with a key to the exercises (p. 235-240); an Egyptian vocabulary (p. 241-299) giving the hieroglyphic writing, the transliteration and the meaning, with reference to the main text; and a grammatical & general index.

AEB 1995.0225 :

The aims of this book are two-fold, to serve as an introductory grammar for classroom and self-instruction and only secondarily as a reference grammar for students in their early stages of learning the ancient Egyptian language. The grammatical approach is for the most part based on Polotsky's work, the Standard Theory. The organization in 16 lessons, together covering 200 numbered sections, is didactic. Each lesson is provided with a vocabulary to be learnt and an exercise adapted to the level of knowledge required at the relevant point. All exercises contain a hieroglyphic part to be transliterated and translated, and some questions asking the student to explain matters of morphology and syntax. Whereas the exercises up to Lesson 8 include English-to-Egyptian translation, the later ones use coherent sections primarily taken from tales or historical texts.

At the end are two appendixes, the first giving the forms of the mutable and irregular verbs, and the second the basic verbal constructions.
(OEB / W.H.)

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: