Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleopatra. True beauty?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebianprincess
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Cleopatra. True beauty? Reply with quote

Hi! Just wondering on ppls opinions on Cleopatra. The general consensus is that she was a plain, but charismatic woman. But recent articles suggest that today she would be considered totally unattractive and obese. Do you think that the egyptians (not to mention the romans) found this appealing?
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the film with Elizabeth Taylor did a lot to damage the perception of Cleopatra. In that film she was portrayed as a beautiful, glamorous person, oozing sex appeal.

As you state, the consensus now is that she was plain. But apparently she was also extremely intelligent and charismatic.

This probably was why she was so successful and had the appeal she apparently did.

Not sure about the obese bit though. Hadn't heard that before.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think she sounds ... plain looking.. but she was never really "plain"... Her features might be "plain" however i bet (even if she wasnt the queen) if she walked into a room .. people would look.. She probably had that air about her that she was (not arragont but) strong.

Serena~Wink
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a heated deabte, while Egyptians protrayed Cleopatra as a beautiful and very powerful women, Coins dating to her time in Rome make her look like an old crone. Personaly Im split 50/50 on this and cant make a good decision. Check out this link and tell us what ya think

http://www.sis.gov.eg/online/html4/o140521i.htm

no worries! have a great day everyone! Very Happy
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah very hag-like Very Happy haha.. but i think that perhaps it wasnt to much physical beauty but she was.. great? Very Happy... i dunno, i know a lot of people who arent drop dead gorgoues but when you see them in real life they are really beautiful.. the way one moves or speaks can have a huge effect on their beauty sttus.

Serena~ Wink
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said

Very Happy
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Very Happy
Isis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone read "Memoirs of Cleopatra" (Margaret George)? Even if it's fiction, she makes it all very believable. Cleo is known as a "seductress", but I guess she did what she had to in order to keep the peace.
ANEKH HRAK, TUA ATU, TUA ATU, NEBET ISET
Philopator
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: ~my favorite subject of Egypt~ Reply with quote

Most people describe Cleopatra as a queen; which indeed she was. But she was also, for most of her life, a pharoah. I believe she was beautiful as the Egyptians say she was. This is my opinion of course, but the Romans have much reason to make Cleopatra seem ugly. She believed herself to be the daughter of Isis which i believe she truly was. And people say that she loved Ceaser was I believe is not true. She wanted and craved power which is why she chose Ceaser and Anthony, that is obvious. I have much interest and knowledge of this pharoah so if you have any questions...ask away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she wasnt.. i repeat WASNT a pharaoh.. sorry she might've from the title of queen reigned egypt.. but i dont think she ever took on the titles.. the only one to do that fully was hatshepsut.. and perhaps i sound mean but i think taking on those titles is a BIG thing since it means people actually had to accpet it about her. Cleopatra was a queen and very femine.. i believe.. and hatshepsut.. well she wore kilts and wore the false beard and reigned egypt as a pharaoh.. not that im saying it makes cleopatra a bad ruler or worse.. im just saying that she wasnt a pharaoh.. an dAWESOME queen.

Serena
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that she was not a classically beautiful person, but she had great sex-appeal.

She was an amazing lady. She spoke quite a few languages, and she was a skilled politician. She was able after all to hang on to power for quite a while.
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats right and the romans told it like it was they carved there statues and painted there paintings as a real portrait the Egyptians almost always made there art beautiful no matter how ugly the person may have been!
I think the coins with Cleos face are very acurate and the Egyptians are obviously gonna say she was beautiful because they always do with the exeption of Akhnaten.
Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.......Supose Octavian who was really PO'd about Cleo depriving him of the pleasure of embarrassing her by parading her in Rome, might have had all those ugly coins stuck and distributed far and wide after she died. I mean he did destroy all her 'other' effigies, what would stop him from going that step further.

To me it doesn't make much sence that the verbal descriptions don't match the only visual depiction left.
Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.......Supose Octavian who was really PO'd about Cleo depriving him of the pleasure of embarrassing her by parading her in Rome, might have had all those ugly coins stuck and distributed far and wide after she died. I mean he did destroy all her 'other' effigies, what would stop him from going that step further.

To me it doesn't make much sence that the verbal descriptions don't match the only visual depiction left.
Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of statuary images of Cleo. Neither is fat or ugly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: