Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertiti's personality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGotBrownEyes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Nefertiti's personality Reply with quote

what type of person was she? did she ever have any people killed? was she nice, mean, assertive?? I've read about her online but they never talk about her personality and what type of person she was, just what she done and achieved
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much is known of anyone's personality from ancient egypt. we dont have the kind of records we do for say queen victoria. we dont have diaries, letters from monarchs. we do have foreign correspondance- but its patchy at best. most of what we have is public monuments, like temples and tombs, and even those records are tricky, as they are likely biased or elaborated.
it doesnt help nefertiti lived in the amarna period, and successive pharaohs have tried to wipe that period of egyptian history from the books.
Amunet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Amunet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an in depth explanation of nefertiti's personality, but apparently I am using a forbidden word so I can't post it.
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very classy... beautiful powerful women are generally called that name which the censoring won't allow, and I am grateful for that, because that is a despicable way to refer to a woman, let alone a queen who has earned our respect.

we don't know anything about Queen Nefertiti other than this: she was the beloved wife of Akhenaten, a woman he dedicated verse to in stone monumets... he called her soft of voice and beautiful... we know that she was depicted the same size as Pharaoh in many portraits, which suggests that she held some power in her own right, even if it was power over her husband. we know that she was fertile and strong, because she bore six living children and most likely other pregnancies (women tend to have two or three miscarriages in their childbearing years).

it is possible that she got him to name her either an heir, co-regent, or outright Pharaoh, but no one is sure. Either way, she would have had to have been very intelligent to be granted a status customarily reserved for men. she would have also had to be ambitious to be so concerned for her public image, whereas her daughter Ankhesenamun was content to be depicted sitting at her husband's feet (which suggests a more traditional, submissive wifely role).

either way, she was a stunning woman, and anyone who claims interest in AE should not refer to Egypt's most powerful figures using profanity. i find it offensive and degrading both to the humans who influenced this forum, and to the forum itself.
Nekaure
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various personalities also show in some of the ancient tales~ like the one involving Khufu and his magician. No doubt tales are even more exaggerated or twisted than temple records or monuments, but perhaps there is at least a small grain of truth to some of them?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be very difficult to say what Nefertiti was like as a person. We don't even know a whole lot about her life.

She must have married Akhenaten when she was in her early teens, so she was fairly normal girl in that sense.

It may have been hard for her in the beginning? She married into the immediate royal family and would have had to deal at some level with Queen Tiye, who gives the impression of being a strong woman. That cannot be easy when you are a young girl.

Yet Nefertiti is seemingly thrust into the limelight pretty quickly. The Hut Benben in Karnak was apparently dedicated to her. Does that mean she was active in the religious world? Did she really participate in the rituals? Or are those depictions mostly/ mainly symbolic?

And suppose - for the sake of argument - that she was really involved in the religious life at these temples. I'm not sure that tells us much more about her personality. Did she do her duty, but in a detached way? Or was she really devout and spiritual and take to this like a fish to water? Or was she a bit of an extrovert and did she love the pomp and circumstance?

I think we just cannot tell if she fit any of these categories.

And for as far as the end of her life goes? No idea even what happened to her!
Some think she died in year 15 or so and was buried.
Others think she became coregent but died at roughly the same time as her husband.
And yet others think she ruled as a co-regent and eventually even served as regent for Tutankhamen. (That's apparently the theory now proposed by Dodson in his newest book Amarna Sunset).

Depending on what happened to her, it would be possible to get quite a few different views of this Queen.

But it is fun to speculate about Very Happy

If Dodson is correct, then she comes through as a very smart, politically savvy and very strong woman. If she really became first co-regent with Akhenaten and later regent for Tutankhamen with the possibility of really being the main power in the country for several years, then she must have been a strong willed, capable and intelligent woman to pull that off.

I really hope more information will come to light that will explain the events of that era more thoroughly.

I think it took quite a while for people to understand the reigns of Hatshepsut and Tuthmosis III, but it seems that even though there are still open questions, this time is now somewhat better understood.
I hope that at some point through careful evaluation of the finds people will be able to piece together the Amarna period a bit better than it is understood now.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Nefertiti's personality Reply with quote

IGotBrownEyes wrote:
what type of person was she? did she ever have any people killed? was she nice, mean, assertive?? I've read about her online but they never talk about her personality and what type of person she was, just what she done and achieved

Well...we know her husband doted on her and they both doted on their several daughters. We know that she suppported Akhenaten to the hilt in his religous thinking and the prominence of her image suggests she was no shrinking violet.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Nefertiti's personality Reply with quote

IGotBrownEyes wrote:
what type of person was she? did she ever have any people killed? ...

Yes :

Smile Laughing Wink

Greetings, Lutz.
QueenNefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new here so I don't want but into anyones conversation but personlly I like to think that Nefertiti as Ambitious and charismatic, it is said that she was beloved by the people.

So she must have had a very strong personality.

Like it has already been said, we know little of personallitys from Egypt, but I guess we can make good assumptions from the art and the texts that we have been lucy enough to uncover.

Love Pru XXX

TO FIND OUT FUTURE, WE MUST LOOK TO OUR PAST!
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barring a miraculous discovery, like Nefertiti's private journal (did the AEs have such things?) her personality will always be a subject of speculation.

We have some idea of what she did, by why and how she felt about it escapes us.

She was active in the worship of the Aten but was she a fervent believer or just a dutiful wife humoring her husband? Or could she have been cynically using Akhenaten's religious enthusiasm to gather more power to herself?

Akhenaten is lyrical in the epithets he bestows upon his wife and confers unheard of honors on her, including the use of Pharaonic iconography, because he loves her so much. But what then are we to make of his 'Greatly Beloved Wife' Kiya? Granted it is possible to love two women at the same time - but as Dear Abby observed it is also hazardous.

Was Nefertiti secure in her position as Great Wife and her husband's love or was Akhenaten constantly having to reassure her? Is that why her image is so dominant and Kiya practically invisible? Or was it just Maat, propriety, that dictated it?

Were the two women hostile rivals or did they grudgingly tolerate each other? Or might they even have been friends, easily accepting their different roles in Akhenaten's life (which would have required a good deal of tact on his part btw).

Nefertiti is shown kissing and dandling her little daughters. Was she really a devoted mother or did she just want to be percieved as such? Did she resent not having a son to be pharaoh after Akhenaten? Did she fear political eclipse if Kiya's son(s) ascended the throne or was she sure that her rank as Great Wife and mother of the future Great Wife would keep her in thick of things? For that matter did she care about power or was she essentially domestic in her tastes (the latter seems unlikely but you never know).

Whatever plans or ambitions Nefertiti had she almost certainly predeceased her husband. Kiya almost as certainly survived her but disappears from the record after Akhenaten's death. Possibly she died too, or perhaps more likely withdrew to her estates or a harem palace to spend the rest of her life in luxurious obscurity. She certainly played no part in Smenkhkara or Tutankamun's reigns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: