Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HARRYS TRIP TO EGYPT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: HARRYS TRIP TO EGYPT Reply with quote

hi gang,sorry ive not been on to tell you all about my trip.but i have been extremely busy since i got back,two trips to england and a camping holiday in scotland have interfered with my reporting of the trip.so here goes.the trip was a dream,everything and a lot lot more than i could ever have hoped for.
my flight from manchester was faultless,having obtained my visa in the u.k, i sailed thru customs and my luggage was waiting within a short time.it was the quickest i had been thru an airport.my first experience of so called hassle was not much,people crowding to try and carry your luggage.no problem,a wave of the hand with a confident ""la shukran",dealt with it.confidence in speaking to traders,shopkeepers,taxidrivers,calleche drivers,is what counts most.transfer to my cruise boat ,the nile commodore,stunning boat,first class service royal treatment.quiet first night getting to know people at dining table,lovely folk,who i hit it off with straight away,and the next morning ,off to the holy of holies,the valley of the kings,no words can describe my feelings as i stepped off the coach,we went with our guide,who was the only dissapointment,very poor knowledge of what he was trying to describe,and were given our ticket to enter 3 tombs.with the option to purchase an extra for tutankhamuns tomb.i did this as this was my main reason for being here.ias it was very early and VERY hot i was in his tomb for all of 5 minutes alone,except for the gaurd who occasionally popped his head in.
the emotions involved in standing in his tomb were overwhelming.
then off to hatchepsuts temple,stunning,and a visit to an alabaster factory,some first morning i think you will agree.i wont give you a day to day account but just highlight some of the special days of an extraordinary trip.edfu,kom ombo,philaekarnak,luxor temples,all stunning,all so different,but so constant.denderah,amazing to go on the roof,breathtaking views.philae sound and light showbrilliant and soooo romantic,karnak sound and light show,powerful,reeking of empire building and power.
and this was just the obvious large scale places,just cruising the nile alone was an experience beyond belief,the nile,so majestic,the land so supportive of its people over the millenia.you quickly run out of words to describe how you feel.
then we came the favourite town on my visit,aswan.
never in my life have i visited such a mad ,mixture of the old and new,ancient and modern.never have i felt so safe and at home in a town i have just arrived in.together with another guy from the boat who was on his own,we explored aswan by day,and then at night when the town really came alive.i can honestly say at no time did i feell threatened,any security fears were quickly put out of my mind as the friendliness of the people quickly became infectious.wonderful,people,amazing town.
then back upstream to luxor,for the second week of my stay in the new winter palace hotel.
due to lack of experience,i wass a bit isolated in this hotel as most of my friends from the boat stayed in the sheraton.but this did allow me to branch off on my own and visit luxor as i wished.
again the people are amazing,okay they all seem to be trying to sell you something or get you into a taxi or calleche but they are only trying to make a living,and they have had a hard time because of the war last year.
the town itself i loved,i wandered the streets,only taking a calleche or taxi late at night when tired.i coped with the heat no problem and it was well past 50 degrees some days.an egyptian who i became friendly with told me that if the temp goes past 50,the govt. order a shutdown of all working activity,but miraculously it never seems to hit 50 according to the govt.altho thermometers in luxor and aswan are popping off the scale.
i will leave it at this for the moment,i have still to develope my fotos,there are over 30 films to process,so i will come back later with more highlights and fotos as i remember them.please feel free to ask me any questions as you feel.it was a simply stunning holiday,more than i could ever have hoped for.so much so that i am booking up for next summer to do it again,with three days in cairo and a visit to abu simbel as well.simply wondrous!!!!!!!!!!!!!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you got me so jealous! Very Happy you sound like you had a wicked time Harry Cool
If my mum doesn't take me to Egypt next year, I am going to be very very angry...
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad u're back. Smile
Pictures... We want pictures... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Harry Very Happy sounds like you had a fantastic time. I'm so pleased everything went well for you, after all your planning you deserved as much!!

By the way, Aswan is my favourite Egyptian city - love the place Smile .... ooh, I feel an ebook coming on (lol)

Cheers for the email - will speak with you later when I have a little more time. Look forward to seeing your photos (over 30 films! - nice one Harry Cool )

Jan
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great time Very Happy
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures Wink

Quote:
i have been extremely busy since i got back,two trips to england and a camping holiday in scotland have interfered with my reporting of the trip

rough life, eh? Cool
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Harry, glad you were safe and got back in one piece. Sounds like you had the time of your life. Thanks for letting us know how it went and feel free to post more as you think about it and remember bits and pieces.

With regards to pictures, when you get them developed and scanned I can host them on my server here if you like. Just email them to me and I'll put them up. Maybe we could start a members holiday snaps section? Smile
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gang,i was a bit nervous about trying to describe the trip,but the words just flowed.seriously it was the best ever.isislove the av.sooo cool.x
Raia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you had the dream vacation of a limetime. You are so lucky to have gone to all those places! I can only imagine what it's like, and hope that someday I can go--if my mom and dad agree Smile
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wishing, dreaming that I could go to Egypt, especially when I see the disgusting weather I'm having here!
I hope I can handle the heat if I do go-I went to tunisia and it was 40 degrees C and I got the most awful sunburn, even when wearing my spf 15! (and I'm one of those people who tans better than burns!) So if I do go to Egypt next year, I'll need to take stronger suncream!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear back from you Harry - was wondering how it all went. Sounds absolutely marvellous.
Dying to see the pics

Were there heaps of tourists around when you were at the temples and tombs?
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going at this time of year is a bonus in that it is quieter,but the downside is the heat,i coped with it no problem,and i am not exagerating,i didnt have a problem,i didnt even tan.on my evening visit to luxor temple i was alone for about 20 minutes until a few people started trickling in.at most there was about 30 people in the temple that night.the gaurds were all tryinhg to make some bakshish out of us but the trick is to act as if you have been before and wave them away with a polite "la shukran".but there are some interesting things for them to show you.its all about judgement.
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi isis,if you do tan or burn easily,you need a minimum of factor 20.if you go in the summer.again i can only reccomend jans e.books from www.ancientnile.co.uk for the complete tourist info.
but you must go,and as i say it is quieter at this time of year,it is immense
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could download them but that means using my mum's credit card...that's why i like the free advice here Very Happy
how much Arabic do you need to know if you go? And do they speak French in Egypt?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you say this is the least busiest time to go-when are the reccomended times of year to visit Egypt?
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reccomended time of year is our winter,or october to march when the temps drop to an acceptable level,you dont need much in the way of arabic but it is nice to be able to say the basics,english is very wideley spoken,as is french.but the egyptians make every effort to talk to you,i was wearing various tops,spain,portugal,germany,ireland,new zealand,scotland,and they tried to talk in every language,and comment about every nation that was represented on my shirts.the ones thta remembered me were very confused by my different national shirts for the day.lol,brilliant people,loved them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: