Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cats in Ancient Egypt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Cats in Ancient Egypt Reply with quote

Hello, all! I was just wondering if anybody would like to contribute bits of info about the role of cats in AE, such as cats in religion, mythology, mummification, and daily life. Thanks! Wink
Bast Hotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Yes! Yes! Reply with quote

I am so glad I found this board...your posting lured me here.

Let me get some of my research materials together and I'll definitely be able to post something for you.
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! Very Happy But why my posting, exclusively, might I ask?
Bast Hotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I have a Google Alert set for "cats" and "religion" Smile
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see! I'm not exactly tech- savvy...... Embarassed I had no idea you could do Google Alerts! I'll definately have to try that! Thanks! Smile
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats, hmmm... in ancient egypt- ok, I'll give it a try

Cat's do not simply kill their victim, of course they do... but not before toying and 'torturing' the target- then (when it suits [define: selfish]) a simple sweep of the claw, or a sloooow bite into the neck of the victim- and death becomes as sweet as breath

The ancients must have observed this in the grain store, the home, or in the general environment. It must have been a powerful image. What more powerful, more fear inducing than this image of a sloooooow torturous death- Well, perhaps the biggest of cats known might add to the terror, perhaps the lion. It is not the male of the species that is found in the hunt but the female (much like us humans)- therefore the connection with Sekhemet and Bast as feminine deities seems understandable- why two, why Sekhemet AND Bast... perhaps because the feline is found to hunt in a team and 'two' lends itself to this understanding, irrespective of any other dualities

Is the cat not (in general) defined as 'female' throughout ancient egypt?

Just my brain 'farts' but could it not be that worship of the feline harkens back to a time of antiquity- a time of fear; a time when Man held not dominion over the earth, not primacy over the kingdom of animals, and was found to fall short of a mastery of Universe?

A primordial fear rooted in the worship of the feminine; The Goddess. Long since relegated (of course) into an inferior position- with male dominance and ascendency obviously being now recognized as much the more powerful

Wink

Cats., yup! interesting subject
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_in_ancient_Egypt
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:
It is not the male of the species that is found in the hunt but the female (much like us humans)- therefore the connection with Sekhemet and Bast as feminine deities seems understandable- why two, why Sekhemet AND Bast... perhaps because the feline is found to hunt in a team and 'two' lends itself to this understanding, irrespective of any other dualities

Is the cat not (in general) defined as 'female' throughout ancient egypt?

Not all: Mafdet can be seen as either male or female in Egyptian texts and imagery, while Nefertum and Shu (as felines) are definitely male, as is Mihos/Maahes and /Ini-Hrt/, aka Onuris. There's also a whole host of underworld genii of feline deities who are definitely male, such as /mds-tp/ "chief of the slaughter-stone (flint)."

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting, and so was Osiris II's link, cats do seem to have played a very important role; there are probably books out there dedicated to this, if not maybe someone should write one, it would certainly sell! (nudge, nudge)

My thing about the feline always being female was meant slightly differently. Please tell me how this works, but I am of an understanding that the ancient egyptian language, just like today's French used gender for things- like an apple being male or a chair being female kinda thing (I dunno what's right, I'm not a language person, but you get the idea)

Was it not this way in ancient egypt? - and were cats etc. not always designated female irrespective of the object perhaps being a male lion and so on...??
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all VERY much for your replies! Very Happy These are all extremely interesting and freeTinker, that IS a good idea on the book! Wink I'll certainly begin my research! I'll let you know about the whole "gender in AE language- cats" thing just as soon as I can!
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cats in Ancient Egypt Reply with quote

child_of_Set0409 wrote:
... the role of cats in AE, such as cats in religion, mythology, mummification, and daily life. ...

Found this collection of documents, some about the different roles of cats in AE, from Diane Leeman, Melbourne, Australia : cyberlynx2002's Library.

Greetings, Lutz.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the latest issue of KMT, there is an interesting article concerning cats. You might want to pick up a copy.
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where would one find a copy of KMT, Osiris II? And what is it, exactly? Is it available in the US?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

child_of_Set0409 wrote:
where would one find a copy of KMT, Osiris II? And what is it, exactly? Is it available in the US?

KMT: A Modern Journal Of Ancient Egypt is published in San Francisco, so it's most certainly available in the U. S. Large bookstores like Barnes and Nobles and Waldenbooks used to carry it when I lived in the States.

If you wish to subscribe (and you get a small discount off the retail price by doing so), see the magazine's website.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: The Ancient Egyptians loved their "Maus" Reply with quote

The Egyptians kind of worshipped them, cats/maus were very special (In AE a cat was called a "Mau".

They caught mice and vermin, which was good for farmers, they were also able to kill Cobras, for which they were praised.

The Egyptians were animal-worshippers (all you have to do is look at their gods to work than one out).

I think the goddess Bast also had a large part to play in the cat-worship, Bast was a lion and to her cats were sacred, so the Egyptians granted cats the right of mummification. Almost all priests kept cats as they were their "representatives" to Bast.

Cats were so sacred that the Greek called Herodotus wrote how in the event of fire men would guard it to make sure no cats ran into the flame. He also wrote how when a family cat died the family would go into mourning and shave their eyebrows.

Another Greek called Diodorus Siculus wrote how in around 60BC a Roman chariot ran over an Egyptian cat, the locals were so outraged they formed a mob and despite pleas from Pharoah Ptomely XII killed the Roman soldier.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_in_ancient_Egypt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: