Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red chapel of Hatshepsut

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crook and Flail
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Red chapel of Hatshepsut Reply with quote

Searched this forum but couldn't find, so please excuse if posted before. Does anyone out there know exactly where in the Karnak temple complex the red chapel of Hatshepsut is please? An outline map of the temple complex would be ideal if possible. Hoping to see the chapel on next visit there. Thanks. Confused
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Red chapel of Hatshepsut Reply with quote

Crook and Flail wrote:
Searched this forum but couldn't find, so please excuse if posted before. Does anyone out there know exactly where in the Karnak temple complex the red chapel of Hatshepsut is please? An outline map of the temple complex would be ideal if possible. Hoping to see the chapel on next visit there. Thanks. Confused

The chapel is at the Open Air Museum, part of the temple area, but you have to buy an extra ticket at the entrance of the museum.

A very good page about Hatschepsut :

http://www.maat-ka-ra.de/

also with a detailed description of the chapel :

http://www.maat-ka-ra.de/english/start_e.htm

(left in " Monuments ")

Greetings, Lutz.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lot of information, taken from Osiris Net:

http://www.osirisnet.net/monument/chaproug/e_chaproug.htm
Crook and Flail
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. Many thanks to the both of you. Smile
emmaraft
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, when attempting to locate the smaller shrines that are off the main course of Karnak, you get beckoned by policemen/guards or other shady Egyptians who want baksheesh for pointing to a scarab engraving (or similar).

I then feel obliged to walk in the opposite direction as they are quite hard to ignore. Makes exploring the whole of karnak quite difficult. I wonder if anyone has found a solution to this (apart from giving out a lot of money!)
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Thank you for all the information Reply with quote

I think that the Red Chapel will definitely go onto my list of things to see when I am in Luxor in the new year. Looks good and the SCA seem to have done a fine job of piecing together what seems to be a very important part of the complex.
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Red chapel Reply with quote

Have been to Karnak temple a few times now,and every time have asked where the open air museum is,so I can see the red chapel .This year I asked my driver who had never heard of then open air museum,and I even looked it up online before I went,finding very vaue information on its whereabouts.Me and my wife did wander into an area on the left side of the temple,to look for it,only to be shouted at by one of the locals that we werent allowed there.Hence I still havent found the open air museum.
Mabye one day
Neteria
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited that open air museum several times in the early 1990's (I guess 4 times in 3 visits to Egypt), and always found it very interesting and with new information to ponder.
There was a successful reconstruction of a white chapel of I believe Senwosret III, from which the guide was only interested in pointing out the reliefs of Min. For a Middle Kingdom construction I found that this "new" building, set at an angle, was a real blessing.
The pickup blocks (talatats?) from a dismantled Hatshepsut Red chapel were a source of continuous surprises, even as they were simply laid out in reddish blocks configurating never-ending rows upon the ground. Discovering how Hatshepsut had managed to appear always the senior authority even while pretending a co-regency with Thutmes III became a game of finding another depiction, such as impersonating Amen over the little Nesut-Biti pharaoh or putting her cartouches before his (or above). I cannot remember all the interesting variations, but I recorded them mostly in Super 8, the then-available moving-picture medium.
The reconstruction of this Red Chapel must now be a novel way of finding the same adventurous power-struggle ploys, this time presented in their intended original settings. I believe Thutmes III had some blocks scraped out, so it can be revealing to find out which of them were singled out as the most offensive, before giving up and settting the whole lot aside for wall fillings.
Now, the position of these were to the East of the Senwosret chapel, which was to the North of the Karnak entrance courtyard and behind the Triad chapels (entrance to the left). This would put it to the North of the hypostile great hall, and to the South of a set of Thutmes IV reconstructions then being carried out in some cliffy areas to the extreme North of the Karnak grounds. Well, maybe they have set the chapel up elsewhere, but this place was what was called the Open Air Museum in the 1990's, with no workers shouting you away.
Hope this helps.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that so many of you have had problems finding the red chapel (& open air museum) it is actually very easy, if you know where you are aiming for! You have to get a separate ticket at the entrance as Lutz says but apart from that it is quite straightforward. There is a well documented set of directions here http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/kopenair.htm

Axen had you actually gone inside the temple or were you looking at the area in front of the first pylon? There are active excavations going on there so access is restricted for now. The plan is to make that area into the new exit route & then you will be able to look down upon the baths etc as you leave. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: