Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Aten Temple at Karnak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: The Aten Temple at Karnak Reply with quote

Akhenaten built several structures at Karnak.
Some of the main structures seem to be :
The Gempaaten – A palace complex
The Rud-menu (full name:Rud-menu-en-aten-er-neheh = Enduring in monuments of Aten for eternity) This is a Temple
The Hut-benben =Mansion of the Benben – A structure within the Gempaaten complex. One of the first monuments constructed when Akhenaten was still known as Amenhotep IV
The Teni-mehu (full name Teni-menu-en-aten-er-neheh = Exalted is the monument of Aten for eternity)

Reference is also made to the Per-Aten (“House of Aten”). It sounds to me like that may be the name of the entire complex.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldred mentions that the Mansion of the Benben was a temple exclusively devoted to Nefertiti.
Aldred suggest that this reflects her role as Superior of the recluses of the god and the temple choir.

I find this interesting, because at the Ramesseum there was a temple particularly devoted to the wife (and the mother) of the King.
I don't know how many other kings had temples devoted to their wives though.

I find the description "Superior of the recluses of the god and the temple choir" intriguing as well.
At this time there was no "Superior of the Harem of Amen" anymore. (Unless Taemwadsji was quietly performing those duties during Akhenaten's reign). but the titles and functions do sound very similar to me.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remnants of these temples were found as filler in the 9th Pylon.
The evidence shows that Horemheb broke down the temple of Aten at Karnak and use the stones - called talatats - as filler.
Horemheb may not have dismantled the entire complex. The talatats have shown up in many different places:
in Karnak (in pylons and the foundation of the hypostyle hall),
in the Luxor Temple (within Ramses II's pylons)
in a place called Medamud up north.

It's hard to say if Horemheb tore down the entire complex and the material lasted as filler for several decades, or if the temple was broken down over several decades.

It does lead to the fact that egyptologists have what amounts to a huge 3-dimensional jig-saw puzzle.
Attempts have been made using a computer to reconstruct the temples. There are too many pieces to do it by hand.
This has been the work of Ray Winfied Smith and Donald Redford.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book from Robert Vergnieux Amenhotep IV and the Stones of the Sun. This book is about Akhenaton at Karnak and his temples there. On p 46 there is a picture of a talatat with some traces of gold sheet on. The fragments of gold are visible on the body and on the head of Akhenaton, have you any more information about this .
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not heard of any gold leaf decoration on the temple.
I thought that they were ususally just painted. And that the gold leaf and precious materials were left for statues and such.
It is true though that some kings claimed that they had the walls and floors decorated with gold electrum and precious stones.

Is it only the figure of Akhenaten that is covered in gold?

There are some interesting other stela showing Akhenaten and Nefertiti which are painted yellow. Also the figures of Maya and Meryt are painted yellow in their tomb in Saqqara.
This is usually thought to be symbolism pointing to the sun. At least that's what I have read.
I wonder if the gold, like the yellow paint, was a way to associate Akhenaten with the sun? (Just guessing here)

I have a book by Donald Redford about his excavations at the Rud-menu temple. Does your book say where the gold leaf inscription was found?
I haven't had time to read the book in detail so I can't say if this topic is mentioned.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but they speak about the 9th pylon at Karnak built by Horemheb. There is also mentioning of three other such talatat with traces of gold leaf. On the picture in the book you can clearly see the gold on the head of Akhenaten. I read also that they use yellow paint , but on this talatat it is gold leaf. The writer of the book is the old director of the Centre franco -égyptian d'etudes des temples de Karnak, L'université de Bordeaux-III.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting.
I had read that Horemheb recycled some of the temples and used them as filler for his pylons.

Must have been a magnificent sight then to have a temple where the image of Amenhotep/Akhenaten was decorated in gold-leaf. My guess would be then that Nefertiti's image was also decorated in gold-leaf.

It's really quite interesting, because usually the egyptians are depicted in this reddish brown color (with women sometimes a lighter golden color). This may be another departure then from the orthodox art forms???
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the face of Akhenaten that was of gold , but his headdres, the Nemes crown or the Khat. I can't see on the picture were the gold was on the his body. sorry, I gave you the wrong impression.
But I agree with you that it most have been very impressif to see it on the temple walls once.
It's a French book and I don't now or there is any English book
about the talatat.
And mayby Nefertiti may wear also a golden headdress but they mentions only a few blocks, and say nothing about her.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precise knowledge of the boundaries of the so-called "lost-temple" of pharaoh Akhenaten near karnak Temple.

http://www.usaid-eg.org/detail.asp?id=252
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that not all the individual talatat blocks have been pieced back together yet (monumental task, even with computer help), but have the excavations to recover them finished, or is more filler material still coming to light?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. I don't know of recent finds besides the ones that Rozette alluded to in the post above.

Did find this page about a reconstruction in the Luxor museum:

http://www.akhet.co.uk/tallitat.htm

There are some nice scenes there. There is still a fair amount of color on the talatats. Having them stuck inside some pylon must have protected them a bit Very Happy

Here's another image:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: