Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

temp name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ayrton
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested by past discussions in various about the identities of Meritaten ta-sherit, Ankhsenpaaten ta-sherit, and Neferneferuaten ta-sherit.

Constantly I see ‘ta-sherit’ translated as ‘junior’ or ‘the younger’. When I have tried to find a straight definition of the ancient Egyptian I find ‘ta’ (as in ‘ta-miu’ = the cat) and ’sherit’ translated as ‘little one’. If I am right to do or not, I see ‘ta-sherit’ = ‘the little one’.

So when I see Meritaten ta-sherit (for example) I see Meritaten, the little one. ‘Junior’ and ‘the younger’ seem forced onto a direct translation.

So I have a question for any here who might be versed in ancient Egyptian.

Are there other incidents in Ancient Egypt where ‘ta-sherit’’ has been used to differentiate between two people of the same name where a possibility of confusion between family members were involved? Secondly: is anyone aware of ‘ta-sherit’ being used in common discourse anywhere, other than in relation to the supposed grand daughters of Akhenaten, in ancient Egyptian texts, and does always, or ever (other than the stated situation above) mean ‘junior’ or ‘the younger’.

My sense is Meritaten, Ankhsenpaaten and Neferneferuaten all got their turn to be ‘the little one’. A term of endearment for the youngest daughter of Akhenaten and Nefertiti when their turn came. Something like being called ‘the baby’ (of the family).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: