Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of drugs in ancient Egypt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bannana is the #1 favorite smell of people I just read that the other day in readers digest
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think there is a concensus on their use of drugs. But how they would use it seems to me important also. Whether it was recreational, or used in a specific way, i.e. religiously, or medicinal. I know beer was used in celebrations and to revere the god Osiris, from what I have read in the Book of the Dead. I have not seen any other papyrus that mentions the other drugs other than the lotus, which tends to be quite prominent in hieroglpyhs and seen also as an offering.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasia Szpakowska : Altered States - An Inquiry Into the Possible Use of Narcotics or Alcohol to Induce Dreams in Pharaonic Egypt. - In: A Delta-Man in Yebu. - Boca Raton, FL: Universal Publishers, 2003. - pp. 225 - 237.

Klaus Koschel : Opium Alkaloids in a Cypriote Base Ring I Vessel (Bilbil) of the Middle Bronze Age from Egypt. - In: Ägypten und Levante 6. - 1998. - pp. 159 - 166.
Quote:
This article presents chemical evidence for the presence of a preparation of crude opium in a Cypriote Base Ring I juglet, Type I Ba (II), found in Egypt and datable to the period spanning the later S.I.P. and the early N.K., now in the Martin-von-Wagner Museum, University of Würzburg (inv.no. A 39). The results are discussed with respect to the opium trade hypothesis put forward in by R. S. Merrillees in "Opium Trade in the Bronze Age Levant", where it was proposed that the drug was transported in special juglets from Cyprus to Egypt. This hypothesis postulates common knowledge of opium in Egypt at the time.

Norman G. Bisset / Jan G. Bruhn / Silvio Curto / Bo Holmstedt / Ulf Nyman / Meinhart H. Zenk : Was Opium Known in the 18th Dynasty in Egypt? An Examination of Materials from the Tomb of the Chief Royal Architect Kha. - In: Ägypten und Levante 6. - 1998. - pp. 199 - 201.
Quote:
The authors briefly deal with the question of opium in the 18th Dynasty. The early 20th century analysis of the contents of vessels from the Deir el-Medina tomb of the architect Kha seemed to provide evidence for this, but a recent reanalysis in 1992 shows that, at present, there is no morphine, and hence no opium, in the six liquids examined.

Norman G. Bisset / Jan G. Bruhn / Meinhart H. Zenk : The Presence of Opium in a 3500 Year Old Cypriote Base-Ring Juglet. - In: Ägypten und Levante 6. - 1998. - pp. 203 - 204.
Quote:
The author state that, on the basis of the description of the methods of analysis, the presence of opium in the material is certain. However, it cannot be taken as evidence supporting wider-ranging conclusions.

R. S. Merrillees : Opium Trade in the Bronze Age Levant. - In: Antiquity 36. - 1962. - pp. 287 - 292.
Quote:
All the evidence suggests that the Papaver somniferum was already being cultivated in Egypt by the time of Amenhotep III, and that local production had greatly reduced the demand for foreign opium, to the extent that trade in this commodity gradually dried up. Merrillees then studies the vasiform bead resembling the poppy head having derived its form from the juglet. On pl. XLII (b) he reproduces the Base-ring I juglet U.C. 13430, on pl. XLIII (b) its companion, Base-ring II juglet U.C. 13440, both from the collections of University College, London.

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... I know beer was used in celebrations and to revere the god Osiris, ...

Beer was a daily food. It was also used as a means of payment, for example for the workers in Deir el-Medinah. It appears since the 4th Dynasty in the offering lists in tombs and temples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: