Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priests of Aten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Priests of Aten Reply with quote

Priests of Aten at Akhetaten:

Meryre, 'High Priest of the Aten at Akhetaten' and 'Fanbearer on the King's Right Hand'. Also translated as High Priest of the Aten (Chief prophet in the Temple of the Sun God). Chief Seer of the Disk of the Sun of the city of Akhetaten. Wife:Tenre

Pentu was 'Royal Scribe and Physician' and 'Chief Servitor of the Aten in the Estate of the Aten in Akhetaten'.

Panehesy held the title of 'Chief Servitor of the Aten in Akhetaten'. ("Second Priest of the Aten"?)

Any held the titles 'Scribe of the Offerings of the Lord of the Two Lands' and 'Scribe of Offerings of the Aten'.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aten Temple at Memphis.

Meryneith was a "steward of the Memphite temple of Aten". At some point Meryneith, now called Meryre, was promoted to "scribe of the Temple of the Aten in Akhetaten and in Memphis." This title was found inscribed on a statue of Meryneith/re and his wife, Aniuya. It seems as though he divided his time between Memphis, and Akhenaten's new city, Akhet-aten. Some have wondered if this Meryre is the same as either of the two Meryre's that lived in Akhet-aten, "but these [men] always have different functions or different wives, and there is no evidence that any of these namesakes were identical to our tomb-owner." (Dr Maarten van Raven)

(Re-)Hatiay scribe and superintendent of the grain store of the temple of Aten in Memphis.

These are the two highest ranking officials I have found related to the Aten temple in Memphis
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also an Aten temple at Heliopolis. I can't find very much about that temple. There is mention of one of its priests:

May was Superintendent of All the Works of the King, Scribe of the Elite Troops, Commander of the Soldiery of the King.
(other titles which are listed by W.F. Petrie for May are: Fan-Bearer at the right of the King, general, Keeper of the temple of Ra in Heliopolis, High Priest of Aten, Keeper of the temple of Aten, Keeper of all the works of the King.

May seems to have fallen out of favor in year 7 of Akhenaten. This is deduced from his tomb at Amarna.

Heliopolis was the city of the sungod Re-Harakhte.
The sacred Mnevis bull was promised burial at Akhetaten instead of the Apis bull from Memphis.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also a temple dedicated to Aten at Sesebi, in Nubia.

There are photographs from an expedition by Breasted here at:
http://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/MUS/PA/EGYPT/BEES/IMAGES/BEES_SESEBI.html

Did Akhenaten ever travel to these other Aten temples?
He must have visited the ones at Karnak (he lived there during the first 5 years of his reign), but I don't remember any royal processions to the temples at Memphis, Heliopolis or Sesebi.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mixed up the threads I see Embarassed
Sorry about that.

Getting back to priesthood:
There must have been priests at Sesebi as well. I'm not sure at what year of Ahenaten's reign this temple was constructed, and I cannot find much info about it.

I'm just curious if priests would be sent out from Akhetaten to this temple. Or would they have brought Nubians down to Akhetaten or some other center of Aten worship to train them?
I believe that Panehesy means something like "nubian". Was he at Akhetaten to be trained? Idle speculation of course Very Happy But it just made me wonder why there are so many "Chief Servitors" at Akhetaten. (Meryre, Pentu and Panehesy)
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesebi in Upper Nubia became a genuine Egyptian city in the second half of the 18th dynasty, because of the shift south of the military frontier. After Thutmose III the fortresses of Lower Nubia gave way to towns and temples and new settlements emerged such as Amara West and this Sesebi. These walled towns were temple-centered and the locale of administration, mining- or military personnel.

Akhenaten built a temple of Amon here, when he still was called Amenhotep IV. Too bad not a lot remains of it. Shouldn't I post this in "temples of Aten"? Hmmm... your fault, annie... Razz

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The settlement was actually founded by Thutmose III.
Amenhotep IV made an Amon-temple here.
And switched it to an Aten-temple later.

Now why would he have built an Amon-temple first????

-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
The settlement was actually founded by Thutmose III.
Amenhotep IV made an Amon-temple here.
And switched it to an Aten-temple later.

Now why would he have built an Amon-temple first????

Didn't know that. Good question. It seems like he went to building Aten temples at Karnak from the beginning. Are you sure he started it as an Amon temple?

Is this the temple later on usurped by Seti I?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into the usurpation, but I'm very sure it was started as an Amon-temple and when he still had his Amon-name.

-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
... Shouldn't I post this in "temples of Aten"? Hmmm... your fault, annie... Razz

ME? I would never do anything like that.
(Plausible deniability?)
dingirfecho
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool photos!
(and BTW, www.sennefer.de rocks!)

The Amarna period is so fascinating...the first materialistic theosophy. It's ramifications can be felt today.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Very Happy When I have more time I will definitely have to browse that site. (And when I have access to a faster computer Confused )
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aten Temple at Memphis
(RE) - Hatiay Scribe and Superintendent of the grainstore of the temple of the Aten in Memphis.
I found this about him in my documentation about Ancient Egypt,tomb discovered by Alain Zivie.
One of the most interesting details of the find is that the scribe had two names : Raya, typical of the new Atonian religion, because it contains a reference to the sun.
Hatiay , this name is thought to have been composed around the name of a god : 'I'am made in the likeness of Amon'. When Akhenaten came to the throne, the scribe embraced the new religion and changed his name but also kept a reference to the old gods as well. The tomb has been dated to the second half of Akhenaten's reign because of the form of the name of Aten, found in the inscription.
In the reliefs , Raya's face is depicted in the same extreme fashion as that of Akhenaten in his royal tomb. According to Dr Zivie, the quality of the relief work is very close to that seen in a royal house : The decoration of the tomb is of the exceptional work created by the so called studio of Thutmosis in Amarna. It can not be ruled out that the hand of the artists who worked there can be identified here. The decoration is typical for the period, with all its freshness and the colours are very well preserved. Early studies of the tomb 's inscriptions show that Raya had only one epithet and title, Scribe of the Treasury of the temple of Aten in Akhet-aten (Horizon of the Aten) in Memphis . His father , Iuty , was director of the goldsmiths of the Pharaoh and his wife was apparently a beautiful woman named Maya. Until now Zivie wonders whether this Lady Maya may not have been the wet- nurse of the boy Pharaoh Tutankhamun . If this was the case , he argued, it would explain why the wet -nurse of the boy King , also named Maya , which was discovered in 1996
by the French mission, had such a huge and beautiful tomb so close to the tomb of her husband after the Amarna episode, and when her beloved young prince became Pharaoh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: