Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for help re: Imhotep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaBookworm87
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Looking for help re: Imhotep Reply with quote

I'm working on a paper about Ancient Egyptian medical practices and I'm supposed to make a visual piece to go along with my presentation. I was planning on including some info about Imhotep, and I've been trying to find an image of his name in hieroglyphics for my visual. I've come across a few possibilities, but they all differ, so I have no idea which is correct. Can anyone help me find a legit image of his name?

Lindsay
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This inscription on a statue base names Imhotep on the left
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/File:Imhotep_JE_49889.png

On wikimedia it says:
Redrawing of Inscription of Statue base Inscription of JE 49889. Shows name and titles of Imhotep, and Name of Pharao Netjerichet (Djoser).

Imhotep was worshipped as a god and there are statues of him from later periods:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Imhotep_in_Bronze_at_Brooklyn_Museum.jpg

Nice statue from the Louvre
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Imhotep-Louvre.JPG

I think this may be a reproduction, but the name Imhotep is written from right to left and it's made up of the 2 reeds, the bird and then the hotep sign with the little square and the half circle underneath it.
VaBookworm87
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your help! My professor is a complete dud and isn't making much of an effort to assist lol

I came across this:

http://the-red-thread.net/joseph-imhotep.html

And saw that the same three symbols are labeled as "Imhotep's inscription as seen on rocks" coincide with the image you provided. Is that the right one then? Also, what's the difference between the two that the person provides? The first "Imhotep" written out is 7 symbols long while the next is three.

Sorry for being a bit dense about all this... I'm still a beginner with hieroglyphics Embarassed
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaBookworm87 wrote:
I appreciate your help! My professor is a complete dud and isn't making much of an effort to assist lol

I came across this:

http://the-red-thread.net/joseph-imhotep.html

And saw that the same three symbols are labeled as "Imhotep's inscription as seen on rocks" coincide with the image you provided. Is that the right one then? Also, what's the difference between the two that the person provides? The first "Imhotep" written out is 7 symbols long while the next is three.

The first is a phonetic writing of Imhotep's name, adding vowel symbols of "o" and a short "e" where none actually exist, while the shorter is a variation of the writing of Imhotep' name, mainly as a demi-god, during later Egyptian history.

The way Imhotep's name was written is this:

You can compare this to the image given earlier at Wikiversity, where the name is written right to left:

Obviously the rest of the imagery and glyphs at the-red-thread.net are part of the web author's argumentum that Imhotep was Joseph, which is patently incorrect. There are many reasons for this, but as that is not part of your question, I won't address it.

However, the glyphs above are the ones use by Imhotep during his lifetime.

The main works on Imhotep and his life, and eventual deification are:

Hurry, J. B. 1926. Imhotep: The Vizier and Physician of King Zoser and afterwards the Egyptian God of medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Karkowski, J. and J. K. Winnicki. 1983. Amenhotep, Son of Hapu and Imhotep at Deir El-Bahri. Some Reconsiderations. MDAIK 39: 93-105.

Quaeguebeur, J. 1977. Les "Saints" égyptiens préchrétiens. Orientalia Lovaniensia Periodica (Leuven ) 8: 129-143.

Sethe, K. 1902. Imhotep, der Asklepios der Aegypter, ein vergötterter Mensch aus der Zeit des Königs Doser. Leipzig: Hinrichs.

Wildung, D. 1977. Egyptian Saints. Deification in Pharaonic Egypt. Hagop Kevorkian Series on Near Eastern Art and Civilization. New York: New York University Press.

_________. 1977. Imhotep und Amenhotep. Gottwerdung im alten Ägypten. Münchner Ägyptologische Studien 36. München-Berlin, Deutscher Kunstverlag.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imhotep Museum Saqqara, inscription with Arrow Imhotep's name on the statue base.
© photo and text: (Egyptian Dreams member) Lutz pharaohthumb
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aset wrote:
Imhotep Museum Saqqara, inscription with Arrow Imhotep's name on the statue base.
© photo and text: (Egyptian Dreams member) Lutz pharaohthumb

This would be the same item, as a wall relief, that is reproduced in the Wikiversity drawing that Anneke posted earlier.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as a wall relief

It is the base of Djoser's statue, not a wall relief.
Arrow Photo by Lutz

I found another high res pic Arrow flickr.com (Prof. Mortel), 'Imhotep Museum Saqqara'

Aset
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aset wrote:
neseret wrote:
as a wall relief

It is the base of Djoser's statue, not a wall relief. ...

The base of a statue of Horus Netjerichet - JE 49889 - Cecil M. Firth - Sakkara -1925-26 :

http://www.aegyptologie.com/forum/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?action=albumshow&idn=20071203111535&start=21

http://www.aegyptologie.com/forum/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?action=albumshow&idn=20071203111535&start=27

since April 2006 at Imhotep - Museum, Saqqara is the only contemporary piece with the name of Imhotep. All other contemporary pieces such as seal impressions, containers, etc. (most of them from the tombs of Sechemchet and Netjerichet) just give particular its titles.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: