Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is your favorite Egyptian Goddess?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neferseshat wrote:
I vote for Seshat( as my id would suggest).

It's rare to see a goddess related to knowledge, writing and mathematics, I think it's cool. Smile

Well the A.E. were foreseeing people, they didnít discriminate that much based on gender, as is still the case today.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:

Well the A.E. were foreseeing people, they didnít discriminate that much based on gender, as is still the case today.

Agree!

Another case: the goddess Neith is associeted with creation myth as the role of creator.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neferseshat wrote:

Another case: the goddess Neith is associeted with creation myth as the role of creator.

Yes indeed. If you go a bit deeper in to it, for practically every male God, you can find a female counterpart. And Goddesses were as powerful as Godís, sometimes even more powerful, like Isis, who got to know the secret name of Ra thanks to her magic.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any other god in mythology related to maths? Interesting field, I think Anneke would agree with me. Wink
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seshat is related to math.

And I think both Thoth and Seshat are related to the stretching of the cord ceremony which is related to building/architecture (I think of that as being related to math as well)
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you professor of maths? It would be better to you being archaeologist or egyptologist or something like that. Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Believe it or not, but I'm better at math than at history. And I love to teach math.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
LOL Believe it or not, but I'm better at math than at history. And I love to teach math.

Anneke, as long as you won't try to teach me; I hate math, that is why I have a computer.

Anneke, have you written the Tuankhamun page in Wikipedia? with this text under a very nice picture (I'll try to link it) txt:

Cartouches of his birth and throne names are displayed between rampant Sekhmet lioness warrior images (perhaps with his head) crushing enemies of several ethnicities, while Nekhbet flies protectively above.

Image:

OKay the mistake is small, but whoever did it mixed up the genders. The first "his" is King Tut, , the second one is referring to Sekhmet IMO

Richard,aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I did not write that page.
That's not even Sekhmet is it? I have usually seen those described as the king in the guise of a (winged) Sphinx.

LOL So math is what I can threaten you with? Very Happy
Oh the possibilities are endless ....
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
No I did not write that page.
That's not even Sekhmet is it? I have usually seen those described as the king in the guise of a (winged) Sphinx.

LOL So math is what I can threaten you with? Very Happy
Oh the possibilities are endless ....

Laughing No, the possibilities do have an end Wink

And with "the King" you mean "the king" in general., or a particular King (like Tut" for instance. If you say that is not Sekhmet, then I believe you, I don't know all the form in which she was depicted (yet Smile )

Richard
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

And I think both Thoth and Seshat are related to the stretching of the cord ceremony which is related to building/architecture (I think of that as being related to math as well)

Correct Anneke
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
anneke wrote:

Correct Anneke

Hmm, I thought that when it comes to stretch something, you need a Dutchman and a Belgian an the result would be blank copper wire (if you give us an old penny, or "cent" at least Laughing )

So. Anneke, if you needs some, I think Ranoferhotep and I could volunteer, we meet the criteria Laughing

Richard, aka
Tez
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the goddess Bat is one of my favorites. She's incredibly ancient, and while she doesn't appear to have made it beyond the middle kingdom, (all her attributes were taken over by Hathor a godess from a neighboring nome who's cult became far more prominent) she was apparently a very influential cult suring the formative period of the Egyptian state.

She is the goddess depicted on the Narmer palette, she is the nome goddess who along with Hathor gives authority to Menkaure in his magnificent triad monument, and in the Pyramid texts we read that: I am Praise; I am Majesty; I am Bat with Her Two Faces; I am the One Who Is Saved, and I have saved myself from all things evil. She is the forward/backwards facing soul who can see the past and the future.

Finally, there is some indication that she became politically incorrect, because we rarely see her depicted in full form or as a goddess in the standard iconography from later times
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tez wrote:
I guess the goddess Bat is one of my favorites. She's incredibly ancient, and while she doesn't appear to have made it beyond the middle kingdom, (all her attributes were taken over by Hathor a godess from a neighboring nome who's cult became far more prominent) she was apparently a very influential cult suring the formative period of the Egyptian state.

She is the goddess depicted on the Narmer palette, she is the nome goddess who along with Hathor gives authority to Menkaure in his magnificent triad monument, and in the Pyramid texts we read that: I am Praise; I am Majesty; I am Bat with Her Two Faces; I am the One Who Is Saved, and I have saved myself from all things evil. She is the forward/backwards facing soul who can see the past and the future.

Finally, there is some indication that she became politically incorrect, because we rarely see her depicted in full form or as a goddess in the standard iconography from later times

Hello Tez,

Embarassed In my previous post I forgot to welcome you to Egyptian Dreams, well don't let the welcome be less cordial because of my preoccupation in answering that post. Bat is / was an early cow goddess of the 7th nome who's name means "female Spirit" according to the "Complete Gods and Goddesses p. 172 of the book, p 173 of the PDF-file". The earliest written mentioning of Bat with her two faces is found in the Pyramid Texts. She was depicted as a cow with a human face and the horns growing from her temples rather than from the top of her head and curving inward In contrast to Hathor who's horns were curving outwards, so - be it with a little effort - she is still known!

Richard, aka
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bat is the same as Hathor. Maybe just another name for Hathor. This means Hathor is the eldest goddess, elder then Isis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: