Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is your favorite Egyptian Goddess?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from Ottar Vendal "Agyptische GAfitter:
Bat
Bat seen in upper left corner of the
Narmer Palette from c. 3100 B.C.

Bat (or Bata) was an old goddess of fertility from Upper Egypt depicted as a cow, woman, or a human face with horns and a cow's ears. Sometimes she was seen with stars like the cow Sopdet. In the Narmer Palette (above) she is seen in the upper corners and her name might be the female form of Ba (the soul). Pyramid texts say that the deceased king identifies himself with "Bat with her two faces". Her main cult was in Hut-Sekhem, today's Hiw, capital of province six of Upper Egypt whose standard was the sistrum see below), which was Bat's own cultural object. She was also the deification of the Milky Way during the oldest times.
In the Middle kingdom she was superseded by Hathor from the neighboring pro- vince (seven) who took over some ofher cow-looks and regalia. Hathor's aspect Heret with frontal projection (right) was looking just like Bat without horns. She was seldom seen in art like sculptures, paintings and reliefs, but appeared in jewellery in amulets for protection. After the advent of the New Kingdom she was gone and had been taken over by Hathor.
Tez
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say. Bat was the goddess of the 7th nome (I believe) and Hathor was the goddess of the 6th nome. This proximity may either indicate that the cult of a bovine deity was regional and each nome come up with it's own god, or that they were the same god back in antiquity and then diverged.

It seems that it is Bat who is portrayed on the Narmer Palette, although some have claimed Hathor, but certainly by the time we get to Menkaure we see a differentiation, because both stand with him for one of his triads.
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems she (Hathor) and Bat were at least in the time of Menkaura different and separate goddesses.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
I think Bat is the same as Hathor. Maybe just another name for Hathor. This means Hathor is the eldest goddess, elder then Isis.

So back again? I already see that the 10000 lines didn't help, now... what if Hathor is not older than Bat, but a goddess from a neighboring province who took all bat's attributes

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I said that at one time there two were separate.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
Well, I said that at one time there two were separate.

Hi Hathorhotep, problem with the forum? I mean we knew the first time what you meant (I have heard of people getting errors and getting repetitive posts like yours on other forums!)

Yeah you did, but the only thing I did is turn the history around, Bat before Hathor, in stead of Hathor first...

Richard, aka
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, is there any known myth about Bat? Maybe she is a celestial cow? I was always possesed with this creature. Cows are stinky animals, but they can be very beautiful and I likes milk. Bat, Hathor and cow of heaven (please does anyone know her name) are beautiful.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from www.egyptiandreams.couk/bata.php

Bata

In Egyptian mythology, Bata (also spelt Bat) was originally a deification of the Milky Way, which, since it was in early times considered a pool of cow's milk, made Bata be considered a cow goddess. She was originally worshipped in Seshesh, the 7th nome of Upper Egypt, where she, as a representation of the cosmos, was thought of as the essence of the soul. Hence her name, which is the feminine form of the word ba, the spiritual element that egyptians considered to constitute one of the major parts of the soul.

Bata became strongly associated with the ankh, a symbol was associated with ba, as it represented life. Consequently, she also became associated strongly with the sistrum, a musical instrument whose shape is very similar to that of the ankh. Bata was rarely depicted in painting or sculpture, but in rare instances was pictured as a celestial bovine (cow-like) creature surrounded by stars. More commonly, Bata was depicted on amulets, with a human face, but with bovine features, such as the ears of a cow, and curled horns.

Although Bata's titles include clearly bovine references such as She Who Lows, and Great Wild Cow, she also had the title Ba of two faces, and sometimes depicted as such. It is unclear as to why she was said to have two faces, and there has been much debate around the question. There is evidence that suggests that the faces symbolise Bata's power, as the divine ba, to see past and future, but it is also possible that Bata's faces represented two more earthly sides, either the two sides of Nile riverbanks, or the two constituents of a united Egypt, both the Upper and Lower.

The imagery of Bata as a divine cow was remarkably similar to that of Hathor, although they diverged over time, with Hathor gaining quite distinct differences. Hathor's cult centre happened to be in the 6th Nome of Upper Egypt, which lay next to the 7th, which may indicate that they were once the same goddess, whose two different titles lead to divergence of the goddess under each. Nethertheless, ultimately, as a more dominant and centralised religion grew up, Bata's shared characteristics with Hathor, which in many cases were so strong that there has been considerable confusion amongst egyptologists as a result, lead to them finally, during the Middle Kingdom, being identified as the same goddess, and Bata became an aspect of Hathor.

The Egyptian Book of the Dead says: I am Praise; I am Majesty; I am Bata with Her Two Faces; I am the One Who Is Saved, and I have saved myself from all things evil.
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedjet-Meret, I think, the cow.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find any information on any goddess by that name.
Why don't you re-read the information posted?
You seem to be full of half-truths or complete errors.
It seems foolish for us to keep replying to your posts, when you completely ignore proven facts.
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mehet-Weret the Cow.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
Mehet-Weret the Cow.

Now tell me honestly Hathorhotep, were you still at school when you asked this? Can you use Google at school?. Why? because I copied Mehet-Weret the Cow from your post, pasted it into Google, and within a second several pages were listed, amongst which, this one: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/mehetweret.htm ; which you could have found yourself just as easily.

I won't go as far as Osiris II to ignore your questions, we all are here to learn, but our peers may expect from us some initiative and research, and believe me I had to be directed to do some things myself (I think Lutz was the person who did so for me), just as Osiris II and I are doing now with you!
Leonelle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Hathor and Atem/Atum-Re.
They've always been my favorite since (in my opinion) they both seem like one of the more important gods.

I also really like Horus and Seth. Even if Seth is a total jerk, he still serves his purpose.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a librarian by profession I'd have to say Seshat is a favorite of mine. She appeals to my intellectual side.

I also am a big fan of Hathor--she appeals to my--er--less intellectual side. Patron of music, dancing, sex and intoxication--I guess you could call her the goddess of sex, drugs and rock and roll. Oh, and don't get her angry--you won't like her when she's angry!
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Because she then became Sekhmet? Her power is great, indeed, and no wonder that Hathor was worshipped as a great goddess - she is a deity of the most powerfull thing in the universe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: