Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akhenaten's neglect to the army.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Akhenaten's neglect to the army. Reply with quote

Hey, I remember reading somewhere that Akhenaten neglected the army or the expanded Egyptian empire during his reign as pharaoh, can anyone find any info on this?

I'm pretty sure it was written in the Amarna letters, with another ruler asking for military assistance and receiving none.
Did this occur?

Thanks.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there were letters found in Amarna were the viceroy of Nubia repeatedly asked to send troops to smite Nubian uproar. And not being answered.

It’s something I read years ago and have no idea in which book.
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
I believe there were letters found in Amarna were the viceroy of Nubia repeatedly asked to send troops to smite Nubian uproar. And not being answered.

It’s something I read years ago and have no idea in which book.

Yes, I remember something about Akhenaten not replying to somebody in need of military assistance, your reply sounds familiar.

Thanks for that.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
I believe there were letters found in Amarna were the viceroy of Nubia repeatedly asked to send troops to smite Nubian uproar. And not being answered. ...

The letters were send from vassals of the front-asian space. We know from the text of a victory-stela found in Buhen about a campaign in year 12 under the command of the viceroy at direct order by Akhenaten itself, in the name of his god Aton ... Anything but a pacifistic dreamer.

Greetings, Lutz.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

In ”chronicle of the Pharaohs” by Peter A. Clayton there is a small piece about the Amarna letters on page 129 (in the Dutch translation) were he states there were letters send from kings, vassals in the area of Syria, but that their requests mostly were denied.

Clayton doesn't mention a victory-stela found in Buhen about a campaign in year 12. But I guess your library or sources are much greater than mine.

I can’t remember where I read something about the viceroy of Nubia making a plea to the king, maybe I stumble on that article somewhere in one of my other books. Most I know from Ahnaton’s reign is related from books about Tutankhamen, I’ve never specialized in this period.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
... Clayton doesn't mention a victory-stela found in Buhen about a campaign in year 12. But I guess your library or sources are much greater than mine. ...

For translations of the texts from the stela from Buhen and from Amada (texts seems to be almost identically, different date, worse state) describing Akhenaton`s war in Nubia see William J. Murnane : Texts from the Amarna period in Egypt. - Atlanta, Ga. : Scholars Press, 1995. - ISBN : 1-55540-965-2 ; 1-55540-966-0. - Writings from the Ancient World 5 on pages 101 - 103.

Another one is to be find in Alan R. Schulman : The Nubian War of Akhenaton. - Paris : Editions du Centre national de la recherche scientifique, 1982. - ISBN : 2-222-02929-5. - In : L' Egyptologie en 1979 axes prioritaires de recherches 2 - Colloques internationaux du Centre national de la recherche scientifique 595 on pages 299 - 316.

I have the German version of the book by Clayton but I don`t use it anymore because there are to many mistakes inside (maybe its because of bad translation, don`t know ...).

Greetings, Lutz.

P.S.: Exceptionally a link to Wikipedia from me : "Akhenaten - International relations", seems to give an correct answer to the Amarna-letters-question.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Lutz, most interesting

greetings William
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: