Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Ancient Egyptian religion still practiced?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 258
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Is the Ancient Egyptian religion still practiced? Reply with quote

This comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_religion#Legacy

"Due to continued interest in Egyptian belief, in the late 20th century several new religious groups formed based on different reconstructions of ancient Egyptian religion."

Just wondering if anyone could clarify this.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt. There are several groups, orders, I call them ďsectsĒ, that believes in the Ancient Godís and venerate Them by holding ceremonies. Manly in the U.S. and Great Britain, but also in many other countries.
If you try Google and type in ďkhemeticĒ or ďkhemetikĒ, followed by ďbeliefĒ, you will find several links to believers in the Ancient Godís.

I myself am also a believer, NOT a member of any order or sect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 258
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Without a doubt. There are several groups, orders, I call them ďsectsĒ, that believes in the Ancient Godís and venerate Them by holding ceremonies. Manly in the U.S. and Great Britain, but also in many other countries.
If you try Google and type in ďkhemeticĒ or ďkhemetikĒ, followed by ďbeliefĒ, you will find several links to believers in the Ancient Godís.

I myself am also a believer, NOT a member of any order or sect.


Thanks, I believed it to be true as well, but I have learnt not to fully trust wikipedia as sometimes stupid people add false stuff for a joke and some people add false stuff in good-will.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 258
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the double-post! Reply with quote

Do they worship the old gods for reasons (e.g. Sobek to keep people safe from crocs and prevent the Nile from drying out)?

I can imagine them doing, but they are forms of the traditional religion and I'm not sure if there are any groups who practice the "hardcore" ancient Egyptian religion (I mean exactly how the ancient Egyptians practiced it).

I shall have to look into this more, thanks for your answer.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 192
Location: New York

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one group that does still practice the religion of AE.

see http://www.kemet.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thot, my pleasure.

I have some links too, but as I earlier said, Google Khemetic belief, or Khemetic religion and you will find a lot more

http://www.elderfaiths.org/wesir/welcome.html

http://www.inkemetic.org/Library/sacredlegacy.htm

Concerning most of these orders or sects, some of them try to approach the ancient religion, but often is there also another Pagan aspect to it and most of them are a combination of both Egyptian religion with other world religions or beliefs.

I can only speak for myself in this matter. I (as a priest, Iím not always in function, I have a normal life also) conduct the ceremonies to the Ancient Godís in the old way. Important in this is de recognition of Mašt, the universal law of order, justice and the idea that chaos never may win from order. As a free believer I can e.g. worship Sobek, and this is quite unique in the Egyptian religion, Sobek is both a God of benevolence as a God of destruction. Depending on what I need from Sobek, I can appeal to the powers of Sobek for blessing or revenge.

But I want to make very clear that my main Godís of worship are Ra-Harachti, the benevolent Sungod and his daughter Bastet (Bast), protectress of ( my) home and family. And off course the Goddes Mašt.

For me worshipping the Ancient Godís is worshipping life itself and all the abundance you can find in it. And the belief that by worshipping them, the order of life on earth, though there are many wars and disasters going on, this order may stay in existence and that good always prevails evil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 258
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Hi Thot, my pleasure.

I have some links too, but as I earlier said, Google Khemetic belief, or Khemetic religion and you will find a lot more

http://www.elderfaiths.org/wesir/welcome.html

http://www.inkemetic.org/Library/sacredlegacy.htm

Concerning most of these orders or sects, some of them try to approach the ancient religion, but often is there also another Pagan aspect to it and most of them are a combination of both Egyptian religion with other world religions or beliefs.

I can only speak for myself in this matter. I (as a priest, Iím not always in function, I have a normal life also) conduct the ceremonies to the Ancient Godís in the old way. Important in this is de recognition of Mašt, the universal law of order, justice and the idea that chaos never may win from order. As a free believer I can e.g. worship Sobek, and this is quite unique in the Egyptian religion, Sobek is both a God of benevolence as a God of destruction. Depending on what I need from Sobek, I can appeal to the powers of Sobek for blessing or revenge.

But I want to make very clear that my main Godís of worship are Ra-Harachti, the benevolent Sungod and his daughter Bastet (Bast), protectress of ( my) home and family. And off course the Goddes Mašt.

For me worshipping the Ancient Godís is worshipping life itself and all the abundance you can find in it. And the belief that by worshipping them, the order of life on earth, though there are many wars and disasters going on, this order may stay in existence and that good always prevails evil.


Nice answer, as I said before I just wished it to be clarified as I know better than to fully trust wikipedia. I guess my suspicions about it being true were right.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sobek101, in my previous post I made a mistake in the name, sorry

I use Wikipedia also a lot for quick reference, but not all what is posted there may we assume as truthful. When in doubt, try other links or books written by Egyptologists and/or archeologists.
I do a lot of cross-reference, I try to look up as much as available about a specific subject, and compare them. Sometimes usefull, sometimes confusing so you donít find the answer.
By the way, I like very much the drawing of Sobek. It depicts perfectly his duality. Is it yours?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 258
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Hi Sobek101, in my previous post I made a mistake in the name, sorry

I use Wikipedia also a lot for quick reference, but not all what is posted there may we assume as truthful. When in doubt, try other links or books written by Egyptologists and/or archeologists.
I do a lot of cross-reference, I try to look up as much as available about a specific subject, and compare them. Sometimes usefull, sometimes confusing so you donít find the answer.
By the way, I like very much the drawing of Sobek. It depicts perfectly his duality. Is it yours?


IMO any Egyptologist/Archaeologist worth his salt cross-references different materials and sources to come up with a conclusion.

About the pic, I wish I was as good at drawing as the creator of this.
I think it's cool as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím not an Egyptologist. Iíve been studying about ancient Egypt and religion for about 28 years now. But Iíve never taken any course about it, itís just collecting and reading books about it, and off course now also looking a lot op through the internet. But I my say that after 28 years my knowledge on the subject is quite good especially about the ancient religion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 258
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Iím not an Egyptologist. Iíve been studying about ancient Egypt and religion for about 28 years now. But Iíve never taken any course about it, itís just collecting and reading books about it, and off course now also looking a lot op through the internet. But I my say that after 28 years my knowledge on the subject is quite good especially about the ancient religion.


That's good
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swan
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
But I want to make very clear that my main Godís of worship are Ra-Harachti, the benevolent Sungod and his daughter Bastet (Bast), protectress of ( my) home and family. And off course the Goddes Mašt.

I have a question about Bast. I've seen it mentioned several times that she's a protector of home and family, but the books I've got (The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods, Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt) don't mention this association, IIRC. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can read more about it? I'm really interested in ancient Egyptian household deities but I can't seem to find much information on that side of things, asides from references to Bes and Taweret.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the following will shed some light on the person of Bast(et):

Touregypt, Gods of Egypt, Bast wrote:
Other Names: Bastet, Ailuros

Patron of: the sun (originally), the moon (after the Greeks), cats, women, and secrets.

Appearance: A desert cat, or a woman with the head of a cat (this form possibly dates after the domestication of the Egyptian wild cat).

Description: Probably the most famous Egyptian goddess after Isis, Bast was said to be the daughter of Ra, though long after he created the primal gods. She was originally a sun goddess, but after contact with the Greeks, she changed to a moon goddess, probably due to the Greeks associating her with Artemis.

Like Artemis, Bast was a wild goddess. To those who were in her favor, she gave great blessings, but her wrath was legendary and she was sometimes listed as one of Ra's avenging deities who punish the sinful and the enemies of Egypt. This is of course in keeping with her totem animal, the cat. Cats were sacred to Bast, and to harm one was deemed a great transgression. Bast's importance in the Egyptian pantheon might be due to the great value placed on the domesticated cat by the Egyptians. Cats curtailed the spread of disease by killing vermin, and though the idea of microbes was unknown to the ancient Egyptians, they must have noticed the connection between rats and disease.

Her worship was widespread, and her cult apparently had a great deal of power. Bubastis was even the capital of Egypt for a time during the Late Period, and some pharaohs took her name in their king-names. Herodotus' description of her temple at Bubastis is that of a place of great splendor and beauty, rivaled only by the temples to Ra and Horus.

Worship: Worshipped widely throughout Egypt, her cult center was at Bubastis.

See also:

Bast, Perfume Protector, Cat Goddess by Caroline Seawright


HtH

Richard, aka
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.E. catís though domesticated, their origins should be the Mau, were more wild than our domesticated cats. They didnít chase only rats, but also mice and perhaps more important, snakes and even scorpions. The latter two posing a greater threat to children. Hence forth a protective deity to households.

Great answer from Toth also
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
A.E. cat’s though domesticated, their origins should be the Mau, were more wild than our domesticated cats. They didn’t chase only rats, but also mice and perhaps more important, snakes and even scorpions. The latter two posing a greater threat to children. Hence forth a protective deity to households.

Great answer from Toth also


Thank you Ranoferhotep. Ever met a "marmelade-cat" (red wit and beige -white striped) you would think they are the wild parents of Ti-Miu, they can be very sweet, but- like Bastet - they can also be very fierce an vicious and the skin on your hands is their target Wink
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group