Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amarna Princess Sculpture Portraits
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Amarna Princess Sculpture Portraits Reply with quote

The latest issue of KMT contained a story on the mummy DNA with some portrait choices I found odd, so I assembled into grids the various portraits Iíve been pulling off the web. The eyes and noses of all the daughters are just about the same, the difference is in the mouths and chins. Portraits of the same person vary by artist perception but have the same basic features. The sculptures are much more realistic than the bas reliefs, which often have a very sketchy look, not at all like the finished bas reliefs of AIII. I flopped some heads so the all lined up the same way. Itís long, so Iíll do it in segments.
Meritaten
She is the oldest, so one would think there would be more of her and there are, including these five adult heads which Iíve arranged from which I thought was oldest to youngest. All five have the same proportions: you can draw a line at top of eyebrow, middle of eye, under nose, mid lip and chin and they all line up. All the princesses were portrayed bald with elongated craniums when young, Meritaten (from the bas reliefs) went through a period of side locks, but as an adult emerged bald, and still with the elongated cranium. You can see from these that the mouths and chins look very much the same. Where the stone is shiny, you can see the foreheads look quite similar as well.

Of the toddler portraits, the bulk of them pretty much look like her too (but could be others), with the same mouth, chin and forehead.

Meketaten
Thereís one ascribed torso of hers, rather sensual, but naturally sheís headless. She died by around the age of 12, so there are no adult portraits of her. Of these princess torsos, the first two are her.

The top right torso of whichever one looks like it would have been magnificent if finished.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhesenamun
Iíve always thought the top portrait was her and the age looks about right for late Amarna artwork. Her skull looks more normal too (like the rest of the Thutmosid line). Her nose is wider than Meritatenís. She is pictured with a lot of hair in the tomb furniture as well but her faces are all too generic to get any real idea. The second portrait resembles the one above in the mouth, chin and jaw, with a slimmer version of the heart-shaped face. The cheeks in both are a little full around the mouth area as well. I think the bottom one has the same down turning mouth and resembles the other two, but the head gear might not be what she would ever wear.

Neferneferuaten Tasherit
Top is a portrait of a very young girl who looks very much like Nefertiti, so her name would make sense. The skull is not nearly as elongated as Meritaten. The bottom plaster cast resembles the top portrait in a more grown up version with less exaggerated Amarna features than her sisters, again more like her mother.

The other two are blank slates who disappeared from the record at a young age.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the rest of them. The top, left, is a boundary stela of unknown origin, with a down turning mouth and straight, small chin. Top right, has a much wider nose than Meritaten. The bottom princess seems to have a different look than the rest, but I couldnít find any hi resolution images to really hone in. They all have those back-bending legs. Thatís all the photos I found.

Hereís a grid of Nefertiti, Meritaten, Ankhesenamun and Neferneferuaten Tasherit, the same artist probably created Nefertiti and Meritaten and possibly Ankhesenamun as well. Ankhesenamun was apparently abandoned after a break and is very rough, but has the pretty, soft look the other two do. They are all of brown quartzite.

Iím sure everyone has their own opinions, as usual, so please share them.
Kharis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for putting together such an interesting page. Am I alone in thinking the Amarna Style created some beautiful images of the Royal Women?
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Ta-Sherit mask labelled Kiya - based I believe on the big ear bobs which seem to have been her trademark. None of of these heads are labelled so it all depends on eye and guess work.
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting such great pics. I find the Amarna period simply fascinating.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:
Quote:
I've seen the Ta-Sherit mask labelled Kiya - based I believe on the big ear bobs which seem to have been her trademark. None of of these heads are labelled so it all depends on eye and guess work.

I didn't include her because the chin is straight, not in the Amarna style and her nose juts out a little more than the rest. Button earrings were popular with more women than Kiya. There's a double portrait bas relief of Nefertiti and Tiye (side view) both wearing them as well.

Austendw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaniep wrote:
Ankhesenamun
I think the bottom one has the same down turning mouth and resembles the other two, but the head gear might not be what she would ever wear.
I have to say that I can't see a lot of resemblance between the lower face and those above. My own view is that the bottom face is in fact Tiye. That downturned pout is, I think extremely characteristic of Tiye.

Compare this (Berlin 21355):

with this:

Even though the latter is more emphatic, both share a somewhat sour look that is unmistakably Queen Tiye's. If that's the case, then I am lead to identify two stylistically close portraits, surely created by the same artist, as Amenophis III here (Berlin 21354)- note the puffy, middle aged face:

and a somewhat boyish Akhenaten (Berlin 21340):

Both seem to be wearing Khepresh crowns.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that too, but she's lacking the lines Tiye has. It was the head dress that made me wonder more than the face. A profile would be useful. It's too bad really good photos aren't available (with angles) of the Berlin Museum stuff.

I completely agree with you about AIII & Ahkenaten. I wonder why casts were made of these three & whether they were late work, or treasured (for some reason) earlier pieces, which would account for the youthfulness. But why not make a cast of the finished piece then?
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaniep wrote:
Meretseger wrote:
Quote:

I didn't include her because the chin is straight, not in the Amarna style and her nose juts out a little more than the rest. Button earrings were popular with more women than Kiya. There's a double portrait bas relief of Nefertiti and Tiye (side view) both wearing them as well.

Is it just me, or the photographer, or is this a different mask from the one above?
Austendw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaniep wrote:
I thought about that too, but she's lacking the lines Tiye has.

That doesn't really bother me at all. After all, this may be a relatively early piece in which the lines were sufficiently unpronounced as to be amissable. And I'm sure Tiye wasn't born with lines.

More generally I'm not sure that anyone, then or now, would define their likeness by their wrinkles, so I can't ever imagine that a likeness would be felt to depend upon them. As long as some key element or elements are present, which establish that the portrait is who it is supposed to be, that will do. For me, that down-turned mouth is a sufficiently strong indicator.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I think the original poster was pretty much right regarding Meritaten, who is very consistently shown with a similar chin to her father.

The images of Akhenesenamun though, I think the top is most likely Baketaten as she closely resembles Tiye, though the second does resemble a later portrait of Mut at Karnak very closely IMHO.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:
Quote:
Is it just me, or the photographer, or is this a different mask from the one above?

Which one?
Aromagician
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. Thanks for posting them all. I did wonder which one looks most like the reconstructed photo of the KV35YL?
http://dsc.discovery.com/egypt/nefertiti-face/reveal.html

I will have to have a quick lookie
Aromagician
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. Thanks for posting them all. I did wonder which one looks most like the reconstructed photo of the KV35YL?
http://dsc.discovery.com/egypt/nefertiti-face/reveal.html

I will have to have a quick lookie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: