Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need a topic for my historical investigation.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: I need a topic for my historical investigation. Reply with quote

Hey, I am doing a historical investigation on Egypt.
It can be on any person, event or place.
It has to be a question that is answerable in the form of an essay.

Eg:
What military victories did Tuthmosis III perform?
Why is Akhenaten so significant?
How did Alexander the Great rise to power?

It can be from pre-dynastic Egypt to the end of Ancient history.

I'm thinking of either doing Akhenaten or Tuthmosis III, however i'm not glued to either of them..

What person/place/event would you pick and what would be your focus question?

Thanks.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a topic for my historical investigation. Reply with quote

J-Mak wrote:
Hey, I am doing a historical investigation on Egypt.
It can be on any person, event or place.
It has to be a question that is answerable in the form of an essay.

Eg:
What military victories did Tuthmosis III perform?
Why is Akhenaten so significant?
How did Alexander the Great rise to power?

It can be from pre-dynastic Egypt to the end of Ancient history.

I'm thinking of either doing Akhenaten or Tuthmosis III, however i'm not glued to either of them..

What person/place/event would you pick and what would be your focus question?

Thanks.

Rameses II why was he such a "great pharao"?
What was the importance of the Battle of Kadesh?
Why did the "Amarna period end so sudenly after Akhenaten's death?

Those are three subjects, you can write books about; but it will take some serious research
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long your essay has to be but I would do one of the following:

What was the role of women in AE? (you could use some women as examples)

How did the reign of Akhenaten have a profound effect on Egypt and in other sections of the world?

How might have the power and influence of Hatshepsut be an inspiration to women centuries later?

How did the Tao dynasty change Egypt forever?

I could keep going and come up with a whole bunch - this is what I do for a living.

Hope this helps!
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a topic for my historical investigation. Reply with quote

Toth wrote:

Rameses II why was he such a "great pharao"?
What was the importance of the Battle of Kadesh?
Why did the "Amarna period end so sudenly after Akhenaten's death?

Those are three subjects, you can write books about; but it will take some serious research

The battle of Kadesh sounds like an interesting one,

I have to come up with 3 - 5 questions on a topic, and that will slowly transform into one question, I could easily link Kadesh with other questions on Ramessess II or the results of the battle.
This is probably now a topic I'm favoring.

Thanks
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NefertariMut wrote:
I don't know how long your essay has to be but I would do one of the following:

What was the role of women in AE? (you could use some women as examples)

How did the reign of Akhenaten have a profound effect on Egypt and in other sections of the world?

How might have the power and influence of Hatshepsut be an inspiration to women centuries later?

How did the Tao dynasty change Egypt forever?

I could keep going and come up with a whole bunch - this is what I do for a living.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like a nice living!

The power and influence might be a good question. Like I mentioned above, I need 3 - 5 questions on each topic, so I could include the roles of women in AE, then the influence of Hatshepsut, then possibly something about women post-Hatshepsut.

Thanks.
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help J-Mak. Let me know what you finally decide on writing about. That's one essay I would like to write. I wish I was assigned that when I was in school.
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NefertariMut wrote:
Glad I could help J-Mak. Let me know what you finally decide on writing about. That's one essay I would like to write. I wish I was assigned that when I was in school.

Yes, It's pretty awesome. Laughing
It's Highschool Ancient history, however surprisingly the syllabus has been loaded with Ancient Egypt, which is awesome, and will help me heaps if I do Ancient Egypt at a university level Very Happy .

I'm thinking about Hatshepsut, however I'm not too confident in the role of Egyptian women.

Can anybody tell me, just briefly, of:
- How Egyptian women were treated pre-Hatshepsut.
- How Egyptian women were treated post-Hatshepsut.

If there was any change, I already know of a good way to structure the essay, however if there was no change, I'm going to have to look for another route, or another topic.

Thanks.
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a day or two of research oh Hatshepsut, I have determined that her leadership did nothing for the plight of women in Egypt, since Egyptian women were pretty much regarded as equal when it came to rights (they might have not been able to read or write.).

Anyway, I am probably going to have to change my route:

It's a toss-up between:
Who was Hatshepsut, What were her accomplishments, What came of her monuments after her death?

I could easily talk about that.

or

Who was ramessess II, What was his accomplishments, What lasting effect did he have on Egypt?

This, I could also easily fill pages with, his accomplishments are well boasted physically throughout Egypt and I could also include the battle of Kadesh.

Idea
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this J-Mak.

I like the Hatshepsut ideas mentioned so far on this thread. I am tempted to have a go at the following idea of yours (i'm a copycat!):

Who was Hatshepsut, What were her accomplishments, What came of her monuments after her death?

Should you also choose this route then i would be happy to supply you with some photos, links etc should you require these,

Good luck again,

Stuart thumbup

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Mak wrote:
After doing a day or two of research oh Hatshepsut, I have determined that her leadership did nothing for the plight of women in Egypt, since Egyptian women were pretty much regarded as equal when it came to rights (they might have not been able to read or write.).

Anyway, I am probably going to have to change my route:

It's a toss-up between:

I could easily talk about that.

or

Who was ramessess II, What was his accomplishments, What lasting effect did he have on Egypt?

This, I could also easily fill pages with, his accomplishments are well boasted physically throughout Egypt and I could also include the battle of Kadesh.

Idea

J-Mak, hello

I would suggest a subject you will be sure to find enough (and a bit more for spare) to write about, you don't want to get stuck after two paragraphs, won't you; well I think with Ramesses that won't be a problem; like you write he boasts about his accomplishments all over Kemet; also you could explore what Hatshepsut did for her country, after all she was a queen in troubled times (you should be able to find something about that) You may have to study a couple of books at the local library, or museum library, but that should translate into a higher rating (don't forget to mention the books you studied at the and of your work in a bibliography) and one of the original subjects by NefertariMut:
NerfertariMut wrote:
is still a good suggestion, although it may require a bit more research, but nothing compared to the research you will have to do later when on the University, so this also could be a good exercise, don't be too easy on yourself and of course NefertariMut won't write this essay, she is way too busy getting married Laughing

J-Mak, like Styler78 did, I want to wish you lots of luck with this one, and I hope you will get the hang of researching Kemet (km.t) so much that you will choose for a career in Egyptology, and in years to come we will read much from you, here at ED. Very Happy

Richard, aka
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:

J-Mak, hello

I would suggest a subject you will be sure to find enough (and a bit more for spare) to write about, you don't want to get stuck after two paragraphs, won't you; well I think with Ramesses that won't be a problem; like you write he boasts about his accomplishments all over Kemet; also you could explore what Hatshepsut did for her country, after all she was a queen in troubled times (you should be able to find something about that) You may have to study a couple of books at the local library, or museum library, but that should translate into a higher rating (don't forget to mention the books you studied at the and of your work in a bibliography) and one of the original subjects by NefertariMut:
NerfertariMut wrote:
is still a good suggestion, although it may require a bit more research, but nothing compared to the research you will have to do later when on the University, so this also could be a good exercise, don't be too easy on yourself and of course NefertariMut won't write this essay, she is way too busy getting married Laughing

J-Mak, like Styler78 did, I want to wish you lots of luck with this one, and I hope you will get the hang of researching Kemet (km.t) so much that you will choose for a career in Egyptology, and in years to come we will read much from you, here at ED. Very Happy

Richard, aka

Thanks for the message.
I have recently received my state library card. The NSW state library is argued to be the biggest state library in all of Australia, I've been there two or three times and it is very impressive. So I plan to use that for this paper.

I am planning to fill this report up with references, primary sources , quotes - both from historians and hopefully from some written artifacts.

I may be taking my senior Ancient history class too seriously, although I plan to continue onto an ancient history course at a university level, so I guess that justifies it. Laughing

Thanks for the help!
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome J-Mak and be sure to make good use of the resources the library offers, and - as for text from written artifacts don't underestimate the resource called Egyptian Dreams!

Richard, aka
J-Mak
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
You're welcome J-Mak and be sure to make good use of the resources the library offers, and - as for text from written artifacts don't underestimate the resource called Egyptian Dreams!

Richard, aka

Laughing
It wouldn't be the first time I've used Egyptian Dreams as a resource!

Thanks.
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Mak,
I know research can be sometimes be a daunting and overwhelming task but I guarantee that as you go along, you learn alot and will be able to make connections that will flow and culminate into an awesome essay. I think that both of your possible topics are good ones eventhough I am leaning more towards the Hatshepsut topic because it seems more original and thought provoking.
If I can be of help, I would most definitely.

As Toth mentioned, eventhough I am planning for my wedding...I am never too busy for History. (I'm a history nerd, sorry).

Good luck in your writing/research process!
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Mak,
I know research can be sometimes be a daunting and overwhelming task but I guarantee that as you go along, you learn alot and will be able to make connections that will flow and culminate into an awesome essay. I think that both of your possible topics are good ones eventhough I am leaning more towards the Hatshepsut topic because it seems more original and thought provoking.
If I can be of help, I would most definitely.

As Toth mentioned, eventhough I am planning for my wedding...I am never too busy for History. (I'm a history nerd, sorry).

Good luck in your writing/research process!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: